I know the team benefits from a bye…. | The Boneyard

I know the team benefits from a bye….

Reaction Score
But it absolutely sucks for the fans. I hate it so much. Both for Uconn and the pros. I will be miserable again when the Giants have it in a few weeks.

Also tougher to deal with after a loss like that. I still am beyond aggravated. All of the good feelings are suddenly out of mind.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The team really needs the bye to get a little healthier for the back half of the schedule.

As much as the loss sucks for us, remember that the players have this fire in their belly too. They know they very well could, and probably should, have beaten Ball State. That isn’t going to sit well with them, they are going to by hyper-focused on finishing out games and will have a strong close to the season! Let’s go dawgs!

Reaction Score
It is a week off, not a bye.

A bye is what the Yankees, Dodgers, Braves and Astros got in the MLB playoffs.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
When you're in the midst of an 0-12 or 1-11 season, a bye can be a nice respite for the fans who are watching out of a sense of a duty. Like rescheduling a root canal... It's a good sign that we've got a team that we can look forward to seeing every week. That being said, getting Houston and maybe Marion back for BCU is a fair trade-off for missing a week.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It is a week off, not a bye.

A bye is what the Yankees, Dodgers, Braves and Astros got in the MLB playoffs.
Yeah, an automatic tournament advancement was certainly the original use of the term bye in a sports context... A scheduled off-day has become accepted common usage; probably not a fight I'd be picking. I mean, how do you feel about "irregardless"?

Reaction Score
Yeah, an automatic tournament advancement was certainly the original use of the term bye in a sports context... A scheduled off-day has become accepted common usage; probably not a fight I'd be picking. I mean, how do you feel about "irregardless"?
Not trying to pick a fight or cause any arguments, I don't have many but this is a pet peeve of mine, not sure why.

I don't use "irregardless" since a UConn English professor made my use of it in a paper as an example to the whole class.

Reaction Score
After the first four games of the season I would have given us about a zero percent chance of playing BC tough. After watching these kids the last three games I think we have a chance to hang with them for a bit. I don't think we have the horses yet to beat them and I expect BC to be giving at least two TDs.

I continue to be very impressed with the effort being put out. That locker room would have been lost under PP, Diaco or REII. I do wonder what this season could have been had we not had the rash of injuries to the offense. I think Mora and this staff can coach and they're doing this without a DC!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We are ar 3rd or 4th string on most skill positons. That and the wear ane tear showed in the 2nd half against Ball St aside from the other reasons for the loss.

A bye would have been much easier to take coming off 3 wins.

Reaction Score
Not trying to pick a fight or cause any arguments, I don't have many but this is a pet peeve of mine, not sure why.

I don't use "irregardless" since a UConn English professor made my use of it in a paper as an example to the whole class.

Reaction Score
Regardless - a week off is not a bye lol

UConn football can probably use the week off although the timing coming after a loss isn't great.

I just checked to ensure that although is a word.

Reaction Score
Look at this way. We’ve been going since Week 0. Without it the season might be over in early November

Reaction Score
If ever a team needed a bye (or a week off) it is the ‘22 version of UConn football.

Get healthy, get rested and get back at it.

Reaction Score
It's like when someone says they're nauseous when they were actually nauseated. Eventually repetition made the error acceptable.
And vice versa I suppose.

"I am glad we have a bye week to get well because I was nauseous after watching the 2nd half."

Reaction Score
Regardless - a week off is not a bye lol

UConn football can probably use the week off although the timing coming after a loss isn't great.

I just checked to ensure that although is a word.
Really odd argument because it is by definition a bye week in any dictionary you look in.

Reaction Score
Really odd argument because it is by definition a bye week in any dictionary you look in.
Britannica Dictionary definition of BYE
[count] sports

: a situation in which a player or team is allowed to go forward to the next level in a competition without having to play against and defeat an opponent
  • She got a bye into the second round of the tennis tournament.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn needs the week off to heal up some and gameplan for those Eagles in 11 days.

Reaction Score
Britannica Dictionary definition of BYE
[count] sports

: a situation in which a player or team is allowed to go forward to the next level in a competition without having to play against and defeat an opponent
  • She got a bye into the second round of the tennis tournament.
You specifically said bye week, not just bye:

"What to Know
In sports, bye refers to a team automatically advancing to the next round of tournament play without competing and bye week refers to a scheduled off week for a given team."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom