I know moral victories don't count for much... | The Boneyard

I know moral victories don't count for much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
...but those kids never gave up in the 2nd half. Despite all that was going against them (e.g. horrendous calls, injuries, fatigue, etc.)

I feel much better about this team after that 2nd half. Hopefully they get a chance to make a statement against Oregon on Wednesday.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
No moral victories at this level, but if we can play with that type of desperation the rest of the year, we'll be good. Need Larrier back, but non contact knee injuries arent good. I liked what I saw from Jackson and even Vital.

Reaction Score
I'll take a moral victory over a humiliating @sswhipping any day.

Yup. 64 points in a half (more than we scored in full games vs. Wagner and Northeastern) without Larrier and Gilbert. Build on this, get healthy, and we'll have our chances to make a run.

BUHusky

Reaction Score
No moral victories at this level, but if we can play with that type of desperation the rest of the year, we'll be good. Need Larrier back, but non contact knee injuries arent good. I liked what I saw from Jackson and even Vital.
I'd throw Durham's name in there too. All 3 of those freshman provided important contributions tonight. Hopefully they can build on it.

Reaction Score
Moral victories are a thing when you have a team that is going to struggle. They could have laid down and gotten blown out by 20+ but didn't. This game was like 20x better than there win against bumblescalito state last week. The talent is there...it just needs to develop.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
If we beat Chaminade, we should get to play Oregon. At this point getting another shot at a team like that even if they're struggling as well at this point is a positive.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
There was never any question who was winning that game.

Reaction Score
I found yesterday's performance demoralizing, from start to finish.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I take nothing positive away from the fact that they made it less embarrassing when the game was already far out of reach. It was garbage time and there was zero chance we were coming back.

Reaction Score
Durham made 1 3 and probably gave up 6+ points on awful defensive plays. I do think he & Enoch have potential, much more upside than this Brimah-KF combination.

I'd throw Durham's name in there too. All 3 of those freshman provided important contributions tonight. Hopefully they can build on it.

Reaction Score
It wasn't really out of reach. Even with all the crap that went down. And if KO didn't give them two points on a tech because Brimah was on the bench with a fourth foul because he got mauled on the face then it may have been tied instead of them being down 4 with a minute left. Bad calls can be meaningless, or they can be the start of a chain reaction that puts a game just out of reach.

Reaction Score
I found yesterday's performance demoralizing, from start to finish.

Couldn't agree more. Uconn never threatened to win this game. So much praise for a big half when the team was never in it. Yeah they scored points but also gave up 98.

Once again KO's team came out unprepared. Let's be honest this game was over in the first 5 mins.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The first half felt like we were playing a team full of Nic Moores and Peyton Sivas.

It was like nobody on staff watched any of the first three OKST games. Just led to slaughter.

Right now, seems the only coach who knows what they're doing is the conditioning coach. And we'll see how good that coach is today.

Reaction Score
I'm hopeful this game wasn't fools gold but who knows. I feel like the pace of the game forced them to finally play with some energy. I'm still worried about what happens to this team when some one packs it in a 2-3 zone. Where does the energy come from when we play dead last in tempo? Are we as good on the boards? That's my question right now.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score

True there are no moral victories at this level, but if they had gotten blown out by 30+, which was a worry at one point, they might have just packed it in for the season. But they didnt get blown out and showed that they could actually play at a higher level. Still a lot to be fixed but I have a lot more faith now that it will. Hopefully that loss acts as a springboard for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
I found yesterday's performance demoralizing, from star t to finish.
Disagree. At 18-3. I was ready to pack it in. But when Larrier went down, I think those remaining dug down, realized the game was on them, found some confidence and more than made a game of it. I think our young players had to perform, and we saw what some of them can do. Also, KO got a better idea of what made for good chemistry. We rebounded, shot very well and saw Adams emerge as the leader and the guy who needs to be on the floor. After all, we scored 64 points in the second half, shot over 60%, made big shots, and cut way down on our turnovers.

I now am confident we should handle Chaminade and am anxious to see us take on a ranked team like Oregon.

We will be a work in progress for most of the season, but we finally began to play UConn basketball. Go Huskies.

BUHusky

Reaction Score
I take nothing positive away from the fact that they made it less embarrassing when the game was already far out of reach. It was garbage time and there was zero chance we were coming back.
Not sure Oklahoma St. got the memo that it was garbage time. They seemed to be playing their butts off the entire 2nd half. I'm sure they would have loved to sit their starters in preparation for UNC, but UConn never gave them that chance.

BUHusky

Reaction Score
I'm hopeful this game wasn't fools gold but who knows. I feel like the pace of the game forced them to finally play with some energy. I'm still worried about what happens to this team when some one packs it in a 2-3 zone. Where does the energy come from when we play dead last in tempo? Are we as good on the boards? That's my question right now.
Yeah I had those same thoughts last night. Playing an uptempo team like Ok. St. helped the offense flow more naturally (well in the 2nd half at least). Assuming they win today (though I think making any assumptions at this point is silly) I'm more comfortable they get to play Oregon versus a bruising, slow it down team like Wisconsin for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom