I know it's way too early... (but this is what the BY is best at!) | The Boneyard

I know it's way too early... (but this is what the BY is best at!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now that we know Paige is returning, let's turn our focus on who will be our starting five next year. (Of course I know it's WAY too early for such speculation, but that's part of the fun.) Let's assume (fingers crossed) that all our returning players are at or close to full speed by the beginning of the season. Aubrey almost certainly won't be, but she has established herself as "lift off the bench" player anyhow.
Paige, of course. Azzi, almost certainly. Jana, I hope, because we need a big as I'm assuming Aaliyah is gone. I suspect KK may get the start at the point, which leaves one spot. I'd love for it to be Caroline! (Remember, I said assuming everyone is at least near full strength) If not, then I hope Ice continues her recent level of play because it would be nice to have 2 bigs.
Of course, Paige could start at the point, which means Ashlynn could get a spot over KK, or maybe Ice and Caroline and Jana with Paige and Azzi to give us a bit more size.
One caveat: if our current beloved Huskies bring home the Natty, then I think Geno starts Paige, KK and Ashlynn, leaving two openings. :)
I don't know what to say about the freshmen, but it's VERY doubtful either will start (If one does, then she has either been amazing in camp, or we are decimated once again.) Now, if a certain SS commits, that's another ballgame.
Having said all that, my best guess is Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Jana and KK.
What say you, fearless BY prognosticators?
:) :) :) :) :)

Reaction Score
Ugh! I knew this was coming and I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it. I have a different take and it is this. Ice has now got into basketball shape, UCONN offense and defense knowledge shape, and is confident. Does an untested frosh coming off an injury get the nod over her? It took Ice 3 solid months of playing to get where she is now and I think you will see a "sophomore bump" with her. I also think we have a solid inside rotation but a small team if we don't start 2 bigs. So maybe Paige and Azzi and the who is the 3? Is it Caroline or Ash? If it's Ash you have 3 bona fide 3 point shooters and 3 scorers. If it's Caroline you have more size, scoring, and probably rebounding but how durable will she be? Listen, I've loved Caroline from Day 1 and nothing would be better for us than her fully healthy. I just worry because it is not an orthopedic injury that has certain markers for healing. So I guess I'm saying Paige, Azzi, Ash, Ice and a player to be named later. Maybe Aaliyah!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
my best guess is Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Jana and KK.
What say you, fearless BY prognosticators?
:) :) :) :) :)
Looking into the crystal ball I don't have. . .
Paige
Azzie
ICE
Jana
?
?
?

If the players available now are available next fall.

Reaction Score
This is a recurring theme in my thoughts and I’ve come to one conclusion: the lesson of this season is Geno will think about rotation more than a starting five. And we would do well to think in terms of a first 12 (or 10) rather than just 5. That is, two complete 5s with a sixth woman. Yes, Paige and Azzi will get 20-25 mins. But the rest of the kids coming back from injury are likely to divide up the remaining 160 minutes. This is how he’ll keep a healthy lineup.

I foresee a rotation like this:
Paige
Azzi
Ash
Jana
Ayanna
+Aubrey

Ice
KK
Caroline
Allie
Morgan
+Q

Eventually, one squad will begin to dominate playing time later in the season. But November through January I expect we’ll see something like this.

Reaction Score
Agree way to early but...............................
G Paige
G Azzie
G Ashlynn
G KK
F Ice
If UConn gets Sarah Strong (if she shows the talent she's shown in HS) she'll start in place of either KK or Ashlynn! And Geno can take turns with either KK or Ashlynn!
IMHO Aubrey won't be physically ready to start the season because as Paige showed you need at least 12 months to almost recover from an ACL! so she won't figure into starting lineups!
The girl that's not starting will be the first G off the bench and Jana (who really is recovering from not playing 2 YEARS) will be the 1st big off the bench!
Quadence will switch between W and SF.
Caroline will eased into playing W off the bench! She has a hard job of regaining the skills she showed her freshman year!
Ayanna will also be eased into playing time at the SF or C.
Hopefully every player is healthy so Morgan Cheli and Allie Ziebel can be slowly brought along at their own pace!
Ines and Amari will be scrounging for minutes.
Geno and staff won't have to rush any of the previous injured players as he has a stacked deck!
There's the full roster and practice will be insane with everyone trying their hardest to earn PT!

Reaction Score
PG -- KK
SG -- Ashlynn
SF -- Paige
PF -- Cheli
C--- Ice

I'm going with health. Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey, Ayanna, and Jana are all coming off of injuries. Four of the five have been injured multiple years. Azzi in each of her 1st 3 years can't make it out of about 6 games without getting hurt. -- I'd like to see Geno bring each of these players along slowly. -- Allie Z has a shot to start over Ashlynn but I'm going with the college player that has played the whole season.

What happens by the end of the season is a different story. :)

If UCONN gets Sarah Strong - she is the starting PF.

Reaction Score
Third year in a row, where we look great on paper, with infinite opportunities, before injuries cause a wreck. Hoping for the best. Much as I love what I've seen of Morgan and Allie, I think Geno will start off with experience -- Ashlynn has earned her spurs, KK to a lesser extent, and Ice if she can continue to perform at a high level this post-season. Jana would really have to prove it during pre-season to get into a starting role. I think he'll bring Azzi and Aubrey along slowly. Ducharme is a big question mark. Much as I wish her the best, I think her best chance is to end up like another Caroline (Doty), who never really regained her potential, but nonetheless became Geno's token starter throughout her senior year. At this point, I can't even speculate about Sarah.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Really? Can't we at least wait until April, as hopefully Sarah makes her choice as well as Nika and Aaliyah? Let's find out who we have until the insanity of a 200-post thread begins about starting line-ups during the summer. I am salivating also about next year, as I have last year and the year before. Let's wait until the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma says whomever and whenever I choose to start. :D

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
For three years we have started with a deep roster loaded with talent, and then over time watched that roster get depleted. This year has the potential to be the reverse of that.

What I mean is that we have a ton of injuries right now affecting players for next year, and the team health could actually be better at the end of the year than the beginning, and certainly better than during the summer months in preparation for the season. Many of those players recovering from injuries may not be that close to fully recovered by the time the season starts.

Azzi, Ayanna and Aubrey had their surgeries during the season not during the previous summer or fall, so a return during the season, but not necessarily at the start is quite possible. I don't know the exact type of surgery for Ayanna or anticipated recovery time, but certainly we know Azzi and Aubrey's are major and often require a year or so to recover.

Caroline is completely unknown, but all of these players might not be available on opening day, but could be added to the mix during the season. In Jana's case we expect her to be ready by the season's start, but as with all the injured returning players, they may get better later in the season.

So instead of deleting available players over the season, if we can be lucky for once with nothing new, we could be adding available players over the season. Our schedule is very front-loaded so we may still face some top teams short handed, but then be potentially healthier than most by tournament time.

When these players are able to start running, working out, doing drills or full contact practice will help form opinions on starting lineups, but more than other years, the day one starting line-up and tournament starters could be quite different. I want to see the health progress reports first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom