I know I know they are no moral victories... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I know I know they are no moral victories...

Reaction Score
There’s no doubt this is progress. Just the defense alone is light years ahead of the total steaming mess that was last season.

That we may have two serviceable if not decent QBs is also an excellent sign. That a true fresh QB could step in and play like that taking his first college snaps suggests we might have something special. Time will tell.

Edsall is starting to build a roster. I know he’s a plodder, but I’m not sure what else we can do right now. Just 3 or 4 wins this season would create some momentum and then maybe after that we can get a little bit of a roll going. I think we have a shot against USF and UMASS and maybe we surprise someone. At IU looks like a tall task.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don't see many people lamenting the fact we didn't go for TDs on 4th downs as opposed to kicking the FGs. I think it was the conservative nature of the play calling that led up to the FGs and continued into the 2nd quarter that was puzzling.

You are absolutely correct that we were in a position to tie to the game come the final drive and for that the team deserves kudos for their effort all afternoon, but when we had the lead, had the momentum, I would have liked to see us open it up more. It's like when Edsall has any lead he treats it like an end of game situation and tries to run clock.
Also anytime we get in the red zone he seems to think “well this is deep enough downfield, if we don’t turn it over at least we’ll get three”. We actually have some playmakers at WR right now and a big athletic TE this year. Time to go hard.

I’m (not mad) about not for it on fourth down. More annoyed about 1st 2nd and 3rd down.

Reaction Score
-If you told me before the game we'd lose by 8 with a chance to tie it in the 4th id say its a huge success
-It still sucks because it felt like a couple plays go different and we win
-Theres still a ton of positives
-It's exciting this game there'es actually a point in breaking it down and figuring out why we lost verus last year were almost every game came down to we were completlely overmatched
-Means nothing if we don't build on this, win a few games and play other good teams on our schedule well
Agreed. Here’s the thing. When you have a freshman QB throwing nice passes to freshmen receivers (not named Ardell) and considering the Portal can be used to supplement with the Brown’s of the world, just shows that Edsall knows how to mine for talent. Someone said all we do is bring in FCS caliber guys.

Well Ross and Drayton performed well against a B1G opponent that gets 3 and a few 4 star guys. Edsall gets overlooked guys and now that he has a better developmental infrastructure surrounding said players the light is bright at the end of the tunnel. Again, supplement the youth with the Morgan’s of the world until your crop of freshmen develop and mature. Next you can start redshirting guys and before you know it a competitive team is hatched.

But make no mistake about it, that was a still a young Edsall team that went toe to toe with a superior opponent.

He knows what he’s doing. Score for bringing in Spanos and King.

Ps. The entire defense is coming back next year.

Reaction Score
There’s no doubt this is progress. Just the defense alone is light years ahead of the total steaming mess that was last season.

That we may have two serviceable if not decent QBs is also an excellent sign. That a true fresh QB could step in and play like that taking his first college snaps suggests we might have something special. Time will tell.

Edsall is starting to build a roster. I know he’s a plodder, but I’m not sure what else we can do right now. Just 3 or 4 wins this season would create some momentum and then maybe after that we can get a little bit of a roll going. I think we have a shot against USF and UMASS and maybe we surprise someone. At IU looks like a tall task.
ECU at home is winnable too

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Yeah Indiana is definitely strong this year then we have to go down to Orlando. 2-2 going into the USF game would be fantastic

Reaction Score
Yeah Indiana is definitely strong this year then we have to go down to Orlando. 2-2 going into the USF game would be fantastic

I just don’t see the wins before USF. The big challenge for Edsall this season will be maintaining focus and motivation so that there is momentum for next season. That won’t be easy in what looks like a 9 loss season.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I think we stink, but we stink less than we've stunk.

I took the over on 2.5 wins, which was hard. I feel more confident that we'll get to that over.

Indiana is significantly better than Illinois and will probably crush us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think we need a 5 page thread for this. Yesterday was definitely, 100%, absolutely a moral victory, and I will take it. UConn lost to a Big 10 team by one score and had the ball twice in the 4th quarter with a chance to tie it. That is a solid performance by the Huskies.

Reaction Score

Our ranks on O and D after Wagner and Illinois. Greatest weakness is the rushing offense. That's an impressive turnaround from last year thus far. Crocker is doing fine at Elon. Spanos is obviously a great pickup.

Reaction Score
Yeah, take risks, like when Diaco went for the TD against Missouri :confused:. Some of you are complete mental cases with your armchair quarterbacking. Those field goals were absolutely appropriate at the time and not why we lost the game. Take risks, he took a risk against Wagner and it nearly cost us the game.
It’s not the field goals. It’s the calls leading to grill goals.

Reaction Score
It’s not the field goals. It’s the calls leading to grill goals.

First field goal we took some shots at the endzone and then the 3rd down play we took a sack. It was not conservative. 2nd field goal we tried to run for it and got stopped. I didn't really like that 3rd down call but we're talking about one drive, and really one play in the first quarter. There's certainly been many games that Edsall got the lead and turtled up with the playcalling but this wasn't really one of them.

Reaction Score
There's certainly been many games that Edsall got the lead and turtled up with the playcalling but this wasn't really one of them.

Agreed, especially when you consider we are playing with a first time starting freshmen QB who ran with the third team most of the summer and you lose your right tackle early in the game, those circumstances limit the playbook.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom