I know I know they are no moral victories... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I know I know they are no moral victories...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
With an unproven QB?

Why not? What did they have to lose? He loosened up a bit 2nd half and they played better. Its no coincidence.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've been saying for a while that Edsall's plan was for 2020. I hated what that meant for the years in between, but he knows how to do the long game pretty well. We're seeing that start to blossom in 2019. And you can easily see how this team could look really good next year.

Let's just hope the rebirth doesn't happen too late...

Reaction Score
Team is 1000% better. Credit to the team and the coaching staff. I'm critical but I have to be fair, they're light years better. Could see 4-5 wins if they bring this effort the rest of the way.
I worry about the depth, but i said this after watching a replay of Wagner. Spanos and Perkins are just HUGE upgrades over Crocker, Wholey and Cox. Night and day in the tackling

Reaction Score
We're better than the worst defense in NCAA history which was us last year. But we still gave up 24 points in the second quarter largely because the coaches made no adjustments when Illinois adjusted to out our run heavy defense.

Reaction Score
We're better than the worst defense in NCAA history which was us last year. But we still gave up 24 points in the second quarter largely because the coaches made no adjustments when Illinois adjusted to out our run heavy defense.

Ah yes the old all the good was the players all the bad had nothing to do with the players just bad coaching

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Some folks are always right "in their mind" and can't ever be wrong no matter if they are.

Some complaining about the coaching overall and Edsall are just jerks, sorry but the man lost his Mom today and it would be nice if people would stop with the crap for once instead of pushing their agenda.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

You mean like the second half adjustments?

You need to get off your high horse and stop you constant BS

We get it, you don't like Edsall

Reaction Score
I enjoyed a football game for the first time in a long time. I loved the kid playing quarterback He didn’t play a perfect game but he hung in and made throws. Honestly I can’t complain about the offensive game plan either. We were throwing on 1st down. We threw over the middle. Both tight ends made nice grabs. The defense played well and mad3 big plays. The second quarter was a disaster but in the 3rd we finally started brining some extra guys and got pressure. I also thought the loss of Peart hurt the running game. I like Mensah. He is a tough runner. His td run was basically on his own and he should have been down at least twice. Yes here were a couple of times when he cut the wrong way but I didn’t see lots of running room out there.

Over all this sort of felt like the UConn team that finished 6-6. It took a while to understand how to win. Not saying this team will win 6 in part because the schedule isn’t as easy. But I could see a good bit of progress with some a few wins coming against teams that will be favored.

Reaction Score
if edsall had balls they win that game. he coached them into a loss. credit to him for bringing the players in - but he coaches scared and thinks you can win kicking field goals.
Got to agree. Blew a critical series with 5 minutes left with turtle calls. Blew a major 3rd down with momentum on short yardage with an asinine delayed read run out of a pistol violating every principle of short yardage offense. Continued to call read runs runs for Mensah when it’s clear the kid has poor vision, is deathly slow to the hole and is even worse at the second level.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Got to agree. Blew a critical series with 5 minutes left with turtle calls. Blew a major 3rd down with momentum on short yardage with an asinine delayed read run out of a pistol violating every principle of short yardage offense. Continued to call read runs runs for Mensah when it’s clear the kid has poor vision, is deathly slow to the hole and is even worse at the second level.

the sooner they stop trying to make mensah a thing the better

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thompkins is only here for 1 year, use the kid more!

id like to see scott and oreilly. tompkins has taken a beating in both games and its hard to see him survive 12 games with that many touches.

his mac numbers make a ton of sense

Reaction Score
if edsall had balls they win that game. he coached them into a loss. credit to him for bringing the players in - but he coaches scared and thinks you can win kicking field goals.

This is coming from the guy that told us our talent level mirrors an FCS team ad naseum now all of a sudden Edsall coached them into a loss vs a B1G team? Gotta love the BY

Reaction Score
This is coming from the guy that told us our talent level mirrors an FCS team ad naseum now all of a sudden Edsall coached them into a loss vs a B1G team? Gotta love the BY
Illinois was definitely on the ropes. Randy really needed at least one TD in those deep red zone trips to make it 17-0, at least. But old habits die hard. I have given up ever expecting him to coach those situations any different.

I worry about relying on FGs because those were some shaky knuckle ball FGs. Not smooth at all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

yeah you gotta love the by... where when you have the lead and all the momentum people apologize for playing for field goals because of the perception of your team.

the only thing worse than edsall down 42-0 is edsall with a 10 pt first quarter lead

twice in his entire career he coached to win - and they beat pitt and wvu and went to the fiesta bowl. maryland was his dream job because he loves to turtle in big spots

Reaction Score
Good news: UConn may have found a QB. A freshman, no less. I know that must hurt RE to say. Z (I'll work on spelling later) has a gun. He attempted and made some difficult throws. And, yes he made a few mistakes in his first start. This kid might be good, or better.

Bad news: the Huskies have no running game. Mensah is to slow and can't make people miss.
Give him a parking lot space hole and, yeah, he can take it to the house, but then again, so can I (well, up until several decades plus ago).

The O line needs to improve at opening lanes for RBs. And, avoid stretches like 2nd quarter and its many sacks. The DL line needs to put pressure on QB for the entire game, not just the second half.

Finally RE needs to accept that this is a pass first team and a run simply for a xhange of pace.

Reaction Score
Very enjoyable and entertaining game. Are we the team we saw last week vs. Wagner or the one we saw today vs. Illinois? Probably somewhere in between, but at least there's some hope based on how we played vs. a quality opponent. On to Bloomington!

Reaction Score
If we get TDs instead of FGs we're up 21-0 instead of 13-0 early 2nd qtr. That didn't stop Illinois from scoring 24 straight points once they started making plays. Not all FGs are drive throwaways.

Overall I echo what everyone else has been saying - they did well today and hung with a P5 school. Wouldn't have happened last year. The D looks competent and the offense should get better with Jack Zergiotis gaining experience. It was encouraging to watch.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I said it in another thread but I got a really good feeling watching this kid Zergiotis today. Kid made some beautiful passes, had some zip on his throws and had the fortitude to get passes off knowing he was going to get hit.

He's a freshman so he's going to make mistakes, be it the picks or fumble, but I absolutely loved the way he carried himself out there today and he inspired confidence in me.

We've been in a QB desert for so, so, so long. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but maybe he can be our guy?

As far as the rest of the team goes, the defense is so much better than last year, it's not even a question how much they have improved. Still not a great unit, but they were historically bad last year. Kids seem to be playing with high energy and while some missed tackles led to points on drives, I have to commend them for their effort.

Special teams actually concerns me a ton. Maybe punting was just an off day, but for a team that relies on field position, 30 yarders isn't going to cut it. The field goal kicker scares the hell out of me too. You don't get points for style but as I said in the chat, Tim Wakefield throws a straighter ball.

All in all, there were a lot of signs for improvement and things to build on. But make no mistake, Illinois isn't a good team and that game was sitting there for the taking. Would have been huge to walk away with a win, but maybe we build some confidence and have Zergiotis get two full weeks with the starters and see what happens in Bloomington.

Reaction Score
You mean like the second half adjustments?

You need to get off your high horse and stop you constant BS

We get it, you don't like Edsall

The team gave up 7 points in three quarters so stop alibiing for Edsall.:rolleyes:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
lotsa talk here about the value of field goals..hmm, lets ask them.
Scoring summary
PlaysYardsTOPNELAR
QuarterTimeDriveTeamScoring informationScore
210:297393:29NE42-yard field goal by Stephen Gostkowski30
32:1110424:22LAR53-yard field goal by Greg Zuerlein33
47:005692:49NESony Michel 2-yard touchdown run, Gostkowski kick good103
41:129723:05NE41-yard field goal by Gostkowski133

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics