I Knew Joe D....... | The Boneyard

I Knew Joe D.......

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Was weird seeing him alone doing play by play at the St. Joseph's game Friday.
He deserves better.
Hopefully a change back is down the road.

Reaction Score
Left the UCONN game 10 minutes early and was listening to ESPN radio in the car and Joe was just better. Better voice more interesting. Just an opinion. Not much emotion it seemed.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Crispino is okay at basketball, but no Joe D. Crispino is absolutely awful at football

Reaction Score
Serious question what’s the tricky dribble he keeps announcing lol

Reaction Score
Booooo on Joe D. Glad that pompous a_ _ with his whiny voice is gone. Good riddance.

Reaction Score
Going on record as squarely in the Pro Joe D camp.

No shade on Crispino though. Listened to the first half on the radio and it was decent.

Reaction Score
Joe d way better than crispino. Not even close. Games on radio are not the same without his exciting calls

Reaction Score
I wasn't appreciating his sour grapes anti-RedSox comments on TIC the day after they won it all.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We should have a poll on Joe D. Personally, I liked him way more than the new guy, but he is really new.

Reaction Score
I grew up in the George Ehrlich broadcast era. He was a legend and a god to the fandom who set the stage for the sleeping giant of UConn Basketball to awaken and stomp under Jim Calhoun.

After WTIC lost the contract to CRN, a revolving door of some interesting names manned the mike: Bill Schweizer, Dick Galiette, Marty Glickman, Jon Stashower and Bob Heussler did games until Joe began his 26 year jaunt. When Joe D. took over he was almost universally hated (by my friends, at least.) His whiny tones were bad for radio, prompting some to long for the Ehrlich days. Joe improved his game call over the years but ultimately became a shill and a toadie to the players - I'm not going to miss his 'insider' nicknaming of players as if he's part of the group. Hey, most teams have homer announcers and I think that's actually better (to a point) to build a fan base than a totally objective guy who is more suited to a national broadcast. Joe was capable in several sports and ultimately drew a nice word picture but his shortcomings and my long years keep him from being great in my book.

Crispino is a seasoned pro and very listenable. I doubt he'll be all U-C-O-N-N all the time but he'll be a breath of fresh waves for my ears.

Reaction Score
Joe D is vastly overrated and a lot of times for me his antics and rants about officiating, etc took away from what was going on in the game. I felt like at times he was like the annoying guy two rows behind you at a game who would wine and complain about every call they though the officials missed. Crispino is well spoken, knows the game and the program and it’s a breath of fresh air for me personally. As many have said Joe D was a homer.

Reaction Score
There have been a number of Joe D threads and I am actually very surprised by how much negativity there is towards him in all of them. At the same time, I have no problem with Mike Crispino and I think he is a real good broadcaster. Hes just not a UConn guy. When I think of Crispino, I think St Johns or the Knicks. As far as Joe D being a “homer”, hes not nearly as bad as some of these other college broadcasters that you hear when ESPN plays their calls after a big game winning play. Some of these guys are openly cheering or screaming things like “YES!” or “we won” and things like that. You can definitely hear the excitement in Joe’s voice when something big happened (Kemba vs Pitt, Jalen’s shot vs Cincy) but I always thought Joe kept it very professional and him and Wayne worked well together.

Reaction Score
A team’s radio announcer spends so much time with the team you expect them to have a slant, just look at the Red Sox. That is normal.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Joe D is family, he bleeds Husky blue blood

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member