I hope UConn gets out in front of this narrative and does so soon and intelligently. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I hope UConn gets out in front of this narrative and does so soon and intelligently.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Also if the big east can grow to 12 and up the tv deal. I’d love to see another competitive team added.
Wichita - Good coach, sufficient history, enthusiastic fans, rich backers, no football.
League would have 6 teams in the Northeast and 6 teams in Midwest (5 in the Central time zone).
If this is all just a short-sighted inevitable death spiral, then go all the way.

Btw, I wouldn't mind if UConn never played another AAC team OOC after the shift. Some may say Cincinnati, but many of those games were nearly unwatchable with combined scores under 120. Nothing against Temple, but the Philly slot is filled. Definitely no directionals, no matter how civil the conFLiCT..

Reaction Score
UConn HAD to eventually protect its flagship...it was wasting away while they tried to convince themselves big time p5 football was a real possibility. This is great for UConn. I think the Big East will see a rejuvenated big time program soon. That is cool. I'm a Nova guy and look forward to the energy that a good husky team brings to the area.....plus I get to see the cats once a year within 20 mins of my house.

Reaction Score
Wichita - Good coach, sufficient history, enthusiastic fans, rich backers, no football.
League would have 6 teams in the Northeast and 6 teams in Midwest (5 in the Central time zone).
If this is all just a short-sighted inevitable death spiral, then go all the way.

Btw, I wouldn't mind if UConn never played another AAC team OOC after the shift. Some may say Cincinnati, but many of those games were nearly unwatchable with combined scores under 120. Nothing against Temple, but the Philly slot is filled. Definitely no directionals, no matter how civil the conFLiCT..
By adding Wichita you could sell it as decreasing the overall travel and time out of classroom by adopting travel partners (UConn-PVD, StJ-SH, Nova-GT, X-Butler, Depaul-Marquette, WSU - Creighton). They could fly in and play a pair of partners on Th-Sat, Fri-Sun or Sat-Mon). Games between travel partners could fill in weeknight slots. In all but the last pair the schools are only a few hours apart. Using that approach would save a lot of money, particularly in non-revenue sports. However, lacking our BE history and still being the greatest outlier in either conference, I'm not sure it's worth it to Wichita to buy their way out of one in the "best of non-P5" category to join another.

Reaction Score

Your first and second paragraphs aren't at all compatible.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Your first and second paragraphs aren't at all compatible.
The first paragraph was responsive to @Jaybo's post.

The second was more unrelated than incompatible. It's a poorly worded answer to a question that hasn't been asked: "Who from the AAC would you like to play as an OOC opponent after the move?" Maybe it has been posed elsewhere, but there are too many threads for me to keep up and I didn't want to start another. I don't care to ay any of them; let us meet randomly in a pre-season tournament, or get paired in the post-season. That's it. But I can see Wichita as a for like Creighton, Butler, Xavier or C7s.

Reaction Score
I think UConn back to the Big east not only breathes life back into UConn basketball. But big east basketball as well. Madison Square Garden will be nuts with UConn fans back for the first time in along time in the big East Conference tournament. UConn comes back and returns to what it once was along with Nova and company it can help recruiting for the conference as a whole. I’m not worried about UConn basketball anymore. I just wanna see football end up in a good situation now.

Also if the big east can grow to 12 and up the tv deal. I’d love to see another competitive team added.

Agreed 100% but the conference will not expand beyond 11. It is critical to keep a true round robin. Moreover, no school is accretive to the BE other than UConn; Gonzaga is perfect except its location.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't want Wichita State. Why? Gregg Marshall leaves and they are nothing. Big East is fine at 11, smaller is better, quality and like-mindedness matters, quantity does not. Have we learned nothing from Aresco adding East Carolina and Tulsa?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Send this to the beat writers!!
Lol, you know there are times I look at how poorly UConn handles things and how often they walk right into foreseeable and avoidable problems and I think "I wish I was there, I could fix this nonsense." The last thing UConn needs is more administrative overhead, but Pres. Katsouleas, if you are reading this send me a PM and we'll talk.

Reaction Score
I agree they need to get out in front of this, except the one problem is that they can't. Seems like they were asked to keep quiet until after the Thurs Big East presser. That said, I first admit I am a huge conspiracy theorist and I am fascinated by this decision. Did people see this retweet from FoxSports:

So much is in the details. Did Fox approach UConn? I guess they mean figuratviely and literally. For football too?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree they need to get out in front of this, except the one problem is that they can't. Seems like they were asked to keep quiet until after the Thurs Big East presser. That said, I first admit I am a huge conspiracy theorist and I am fascinated by this decision. Did people see this retweet from FoxSports:

So much is in the details. Did Fox approach UConn? I guess they mean figuratviely and literally. For football too?

The question is did UConn approach Fox and say we'd love to join the Big East and be a Fox property but we'd need things done to take care of football program, including scheduling assistance and some media exposure. Plus we are going need help with the narrative so it doesn't look like we're giving up on FBS football. That discussion was the moment of opportunity to get this stuff. Hopefully it happened.

Reaction Score
The question is did UConn approach Fox and say we'd love to join the Big East and be a Fox property but we'd need things done to take care of football program, including scheduling assistance and some media exposure. Plus we are going need help with the narrative so it doesn't look like we're giving up on FBS football. That discussion was the moment of opportunity to get this stuff. Hopefully it happened.
"Here Kitty, Kitty!!" I hope it happened. Has the potential to be really forward thinking, but then again, this is UConn. Time will tell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom