I hope Diaco was watching that last night | The Boneyard

I hope Diaco was watching that last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
An offense that actually knows what a play clock is thats would be a start. I know were not Bama or Clemson obviously, heck Navy, Airforce ,Army, even Harvard and Yale know how to run an offense theres no excuse.

Reaction Score
An offense that actually knows what a play clock is thats would be a start. I know were not Bama or Clemson obviously, heck Navy, Airforce ,Army, even Harvard and Yale know how to run an offense theres no excuse.

I saw timeouts called by both (twice by Bama) due to confusion pre-snap on offense. Coker was incensed one time when receiver was lined up wrong.

Reaction Score
I saw timeouts called by both (twice by Bama) due to confusion pre-snap on offense. Coker was incensed one time when receiver was lined up wrong.

Except we do that all in one series, followed by a delay of game coming out of the TO, a false start a holding penalty a sack, followed by another false start well you get the picture.

Reaction Score
Except we do that all in one series, followed by a delay of game coming out of the TO, a false start a holding penalty a sack, followed by another false start well you get the picture.
And a stuffed QB sneak up the middle.

Reaction Score

I am pretty sure he more or less wants to run Alabama's offense - Extremely conservative ground and pound where we exhaust the defense with our size, with the occasional wrinkle a few times a game (that screen-type pass to the TE where he looped around the outside of the WR and then down the sideline was a thing of beauty). Saban was also a DC and this seems to be the preferred option for many defensive minded head coaches (Edsall as well). Limit chances for turnovers/mistakes while burning clock to shorten the game.

I think this method can work for us in the AAC, but I think it limits us nationally as I am not sure we can recruit the size/speed combination to consistently wear down P5 teams, especially the good ones. Most G5 schools that break into the national conversation employ a wide-open offense that gets their smaller, less talented players in space. Only time will tell.

Reaction Score
all 4 and 5 star recruits. So much speed by both teams on offense and defense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did you see the end of the first half. First Clemson went way too fast. Then Alabama managed to punt while Clemson still had time outs.

Plenty of big name coaches who can't figure this stuff out either.

Reaction Score
Diaco might have been at the game. He can certainly afford the ticket but I am secretly holding out for him watching it at some four star offensive lineman potential signee's house ;)

Reaction Score
We can conclude this following as much as I think long term winning requires a great D. Both programs have very good Ds, but in the modern era a great D cannot stop a great O for a sustained period over a whole game. Players are too explosive, and the rule changes allowing throwaways, no launching, no hits to the head, no hands to the face, have Ds on their heels

Long about way of saying, strong BD needs to build a strong O as highest priority.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Somewhat off topic (because this topic has and will be rehashed over and over on this board), its pretty impressive what Saban has done with solid but not great quarterbacks. It feels like in both pro and college, if you don't have elite talent at QB, you can't win consistently. Saban has won with Mauk, McElroy, McCarron and Coker. None of these guys are elite.

And...watching Coker in the beginning of that game...he reminded me of a better version of Whitmer He held the ball too long and didn't know how to move around the pocket. He settled in nicely...but considering how much better Clemson was at the QB position...its another reason why Saban is an amazing coach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Somewhat off topic (because this topic has and will be rehashed over and over on this board), its pretty impressive what Saban has done with solid but not great quarterbacks. It feels like in both pro and college, if you don't have elite talent at QB, you can't win consistently. Saban has won with Mauk, McElroy, McCarron and Coker. None of these guys are elite.

And...watching Coker in the beginning of that game...he reminded me of a better version of Whitmer He held the ball too long and didn't know how to move around the pocket. He settled in nicely...but considering how much better Clemson was at the QB position...its another reason why Saban is an amazing coach.

McCarron is currently starting in the NFL...so?? Was he a 1st round pick? No, but that's never been a requirement. The Ravens won with Flacco, who isn't elite. Eli Manning isn't elite...two titles. Phil Simms? Not an elite passer...more in the Saban mold as a strong game manager. But there are guys like Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer who aren't even in that class and were thoroughly mediocre.

Not saying it doesn't help...a lot, just saying it isn't essential. Mistake prone QBs? They don't win titles.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of the times this season it seemed the problem happened when Sheriffs got up to the line and looked over the defense then stepped back from the line and looked to the sideline for help. I would think that with another year of experience his immediate recognition will be quicker.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
McCarron is currently starting in the NFL...so?? Was he a 1st round pick? No, but that's never been a requirement. The Ravens won with Flacco, who isn't elite. Eli Manning isn't elite...two titles. Phil Simms? Not an elite passer...more in the Saban mold as a strong game manager. But there are guys like Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer who aren't even in that class and were thoroughly mediocre.

Not saying it doesn't help...a lot, just saying it isn't essential. Mistake prone QBs? They don't win titles.

Well..McCarron is starting due to injury. Manning, Simms and Flacco are both one step below elite...but still damn good.

My point is that usually when you have multiple titles you have an elite qb....Tebow..Brady....Montana. Saban just needs a good game manager...which shows it is more about being a great coach than it is that you took advantage of having a great QB (Winston for example).

Reaction Score
I do hope he was watching...he would feel better. Multiple timeouts by 'Bama because they were not ready or lined up wrong, bad clock mgmt by Clemson (not withstanding the wtf refereeing when the clock should have stopped on first down), and a play by Clemson that would have caused 9 pages of complaining on this board...a 2nd and 20 draw play right up the middle for no gain. Posters here would have gone on and on about how they could have seen that coming from their couch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well..McCarron is starting due to injury. Manning, Simms and Flacco are both one step below elite...but still damn good.

My point is that usually when you have multiple titles you have an elite qb....Tebow..Brady....Montana. Saban just needs a good game manager...which shows it is more about being a great coach than it is that you took advantage of having a great QB (Winston for example).

Tebow? Did you just say Tebow? Aside from that, I agree its a huge advantage to consistent excellence, like with Montana, Brady, Staubach, Bradshaw...

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Tebow? Did you just say Tebow? Aside from that, I agree its a huge advantage to consistent excellence, like with Montana, Brady, Staubach, Bradshaw...

Yes Tebow...he won 2 national championships and was a big reason Meyer won at Florida.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

You also have to factor in you can win in college with a game manager. Whitmer wasn't exactly that...Also it helps to have an offensive line full of NFL first rounders and the Heisman trophy winner in the back field.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
You also have to factor in you can win in college with a game manager. Whitmer wasn't exactly that...Also it helps to have an offensive line full of NFL first rounders and the Heisman trophy winner in the back field.

True...and my point was it is hard to do that 5 times.

Reaction Score

I think it's more scheme than anything else: Saban demands that a conservative, run-first offense be run and that the risk be limited to few, if any, per game. They allow their offensive line and defense to win games for them, and the QB is put in a position where he only has to make critical plays a few times a game. You think Lane Kiffin would run this exact offense if he was 100% in charge of it? No way.

I think his scheme leads to the great QBs being uninterested in going there, and it doesn't really matter because you only need a competent one in this offense. Saban has the luxury of doing this because of the way he recruits: He gets the top linemen and RBs in the country every single year. He has the, bigger, faster, more talented player at 90% of positions, so there is no reason to take risks.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I think it's more scheme than anything else: Saban demands that a conservative, run-first offense be run and that the risk be limited to few, if any, per game. They allow their offensive line and defense to win games for them, and the QB is put in a position where he only has to make critical plays a few times a game. You think Lane Kiffin would run this exact offense if he was 100% in charge of it? No way.

I think his scheme leads to the great QBs being uninterested in going there, and it doesn't really matter because you only need a competent one in this offense. Saban has the luxury of doing this because of the way he recruits: He gets the top linemen and RBs in the country every single year. He has the, bigger, faster, more talented player at 90% of positions, so there is no reason to take risks.

I agree...but...and I think my point is getting lost here...if it was so easy everyone would do this. Plenty of other schools have top recruits....Georgia is a great example. Yet...Richt just lost his job because he didn't win a title. Saban has won 5. My point was that Saban doesn't ride the coat tails of a top QB to win titles...he wins with an amazing scheme and culture that despite all the "new" offenses out there...still wins. I think he is the greatest college football coach of all time.

Reaction Score

Vince Young, Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek