I honestly don't understand all the angst | The Boneyard

I honestly don't understand all the angst

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
The two main themes on this board for the past 24 hours is 1) how dare they not invite Connecticut and 2) the ACC is on the verge of imploding and will become less relevant. If that's true, why do we want to go from an irrelevant conference to an irrelevant conference. Ok! I understand the slight upgrade in conference members, and I understand that it might be the only conference option open to us, but really... Do we really want to be in a failing conference 10 years from now and relive all of this horses##t?

And, while I'm on a rant, consider that there may not be someone to blame. There may not be a scapegoat. Sometimes you do everything right and you lose anyway. Haven't all of us interviewed for jobs that were perfect for us and hit the interview perfectly and not gotten the job? There's another job on the horizon.

As limited a possibility as it is, I'd rather accept an invite to the B1G. (But sure, I'd take one from the All Cash Conference if it came next time too.) We just gotta chill.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"I understand the slight upgrade in conference members"

That's it right there: "slight" is such an incredibly bad word choice to describe the difference between programs like UNC and Duke and our old conference mates, and the programs in the "Big East". (Can we change the name? It's a mockery.)

So if you don't see that, then I can understand why you don't seem to be as upset as everyone. Personally, I will be "slightly" upset to see UConn compete with ECU, USF, UCF, Houston and Tulane. Just "slightly."

Yes, the ACC could impode. But whatever happens, if we're in it when it blows up, our situation would still be a million times better than it is right now. We could not be in a worse possible situation. This clusterduck in which we find ourselves could not be duplicated. It's been a perfect storm to leave us as the only one without a chair when the music stopped. The music can start up again, thankfully, but who knows when?

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
It seem impossible to me that 2 years from now the conferences will resemble anything close to what they currently do. I know we all want an end game and want it now, but does anyone really believe that Uconn as we know it will be dead in the future? It'll all work out, it just won't be until things shake out. It doesn't do much for those of us who are constantly refreshing boards and twitter feeds, but we'll be fine.

Reaction Score
It seem impossible to me that 2 years from now the conferences will resemble anything close to what they currently do. I know we all want an end game and want it now, but does anyone really believe that Uconn as we know it will be dead in the future? It'll all work out, it just won't be until things shake out. It doesn't do much for those of us who are constantly refreshing boards and twitter feeds, but we'll be fine.

Here's the problem. Even if there is a 2-year break between now and the next movement, how much damage will have been done? Given that we don't seem to be an attractive candidate now, how will we be one at that time?

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
I don't claim to know a whole heck if a lot about this stuff, however conventional wisdom seems to point out that a school with the market, academics and past success

Reaction Score
Also in those two years - who will have jumped us? What's to say Memphis, USF or UH don't become more attractive propositions to the major conferences. Who would have ever thought that UL would have gotten an invite before us just a few years back?

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
Sorry... Don't know how to edit post... But to continue... Although we didn't fit into anyone's blueprint today, doesn't mean when all this inevitably works itself out we'll be fine. There may be damage done... But irreversible???? That would depend on the school's commitment to future success. (ie: spending bucks on big name coaches, marketing, etc....). I still can't fathom that we'd just fade away into mid major oblivion.

Reaction Score
It's fairly devastating to lose out on a spot to Louisville and it undermines confidence in our leadership moving forward. I want to believe everything will be OK in the near future, but the longer it drags on and the company we keep gets more diluted, our perception as a candidate is not helped. So let's see that committment. Let's see a major press conference outlining what happened and where we go from here. Let's see some changes and stop thinking everyone "gets" how great we are.

Reaction Score
"I understand the slight upgrade in conference members"

That's it right there: "slight" is such an incredibly bad word choice to describe the difference between programs like UNC and Duke and our old conference mates, and the programs in the "Big East". (Can we change the name? It's a mockery.)

So if you don't see that, then I can understand why you don't seem to be as upset as everyone. Personally, I will be "slightly" upset to see UConn compete with ECU, USF, UCF, Houston and Tulane. Just "slightly."

Yes, the ACC could impode. But whatever happens, if we're in it when it blows up, our situation would still be a million times better than it is right now. We could not be in a worse possible situation. This clusterduck in which we find ourselves could not be duplicated. It's been a perfect storm to leave us as the only one without a chair when the music stopped. The music can start up again, thankfully, but who knows when?

Well said. "If you don't understand the angst. . . ." Wow!

caw

Reaction Score
Here's the problem. Even if there is a 2-year break between now and the next movement, how much damage will have been done? Given that we don't seem to be an attractive candidate now, how will we be one at that time?

Fan support.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I feel this way too, but I think it is possible. For one, lots of people don't like Calhoun, he's seen as the Bobby Knight of his era (or at least took over the mantle from Knight). Geno bugs people too. Ollie is as straight as they come and polite and just impossible to dislike. Our football team can improve, and more importantly the image of our football team can improve. That means getting in the top 25 rankings....that's media gold. Being on the ESPN ticker over time changes perceptions. That may take a new coach (at least a new OC), but PP is recruiting fairly well. Lastly, we need to stop with the scandals, the APR, laptop issues, recruiting violations etc. We can whine about problems at UNC all we want, but they had a better image to start with. We've got to change our image for the better.

Reaction Score
I feel this way too, but I think it is possible. For one, lots of people don't like Calhoun, he's seen as the Bobby Knight of his era (or at least took over the mantle from Knight). Geno bugs people too. Ollie is as straight as they come and polite and just impossible to dislike. Our football team can improve, and more importantly the image of our football team can improve. That means getting in the top 25 rankings....that's media gold. Being on the ESPN ticker over time changes perceptions. That may take a new coach (at least a new OC), but PP is recruiting fairly well. Lastly, we need to stop with the scandals, the APR, laptop issues, recruiting violations etc. We can whine about problems at UNC all we want, but they had a better image to start with. We've got to change our image for the better.

Stop please. Penn State,Syracuse, Kentucky, Ohio State, Southern Cal, Florida just to name a few would all be rotting in hell by the "scandal" standard you site. Recruiting violations alone should have ended up with Kentucky BB and Auburn FB getting the death penalty. North Carolina and Miami should have been banned from the union for their crap. APR? Really? These other school are what? Near misses or next in line to the Ivy League? And laptops? Really gonna go back that far? Would Florida State (Sneaker U) ever be allowed to field a football team?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
TDH it's not the reality that counts, it's the perception and other schools and media types were always very quick to burn UConn on this stuff. I have no clue why UNC, Miami aren't suffering in the public eye as much, maybe it's a Yankee thing where we (rightfully) hold our public figures to a high standard while other parts of the country defend their disgraced leaders. The UConn "brand" doesn't have quite enough juice to it to get through those types of scandals without damage, whereas UNC, Auburn, USC etc. apparently do. Some UConn fans defend the program and its their right to do so, but outside of New England the perception is just different for some reason. I hope there is a way to keep the high standard and improve out national perception at the same time, and oh also win football and basketball games at the same time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
TDH it's not the reality that counts, it's the perception and other schools and media types were always very quick to burn UConn on this stuff. I have no clue why UNC, Miami aren't suffering in the public eye as much, maybe it's a Yankee thing where we (rightfully) hold our public figures to a high standard while other parts of the country defend their disgraced leaders. The UConn "brand" doesn't have quite enough juice to it to get through those types of scandals without damage, whereas UNC, Auburn, USC etc. apparently do. Some UConn fans defend the program and its their right to do so, but outside of New England the perception is just different for some reason. I hope there is a way to keep the high standard and improve out national perception at the same time, and oh also win football and basketball games at the same time.

Exactly, that's the point. Minor things here are blown out of proportion, while big things elsewhere are not. I think part of it was a dislike of Calhoun by some of the media. We need an extended stretch with nothing negative.

Reaction Score
And, while I'm on a rant, consider that there may not be someone to blame. There may not be a scapegoat. Sometimes you do everything right and you lose anyway. Haven't all of us interviewed for jobs that were perfect for us and hit the interview perfectly and not gotten the job? There's another job on the horizon.

This^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99