I heard a rumor today that UConn will face a regional mid-major in a "secret scrimmage" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I heard a rumor today that UConn will face a regional mid-major in a "secret scrimmage"

Reaction Score
Ummm, the fact that the OP stated this was a "secret" scrimmage and the URI game has been publicly announced as a charity event and is going to have fans in attendance? Yeah, that would be what you missed.
I guess I need to pay closer attention.....getting old is a _itch.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember those days. UMass was talking out loud about "dictating terms".
I still remember (I believe it was spring 1995, not long after both schools were eliminated in regional finals) Calipari said some BS about his program being clearly the best in the northeast. When asked about it, Jim Calhoun said (paraphrasing) "Yes, there is a difference. I'm trying to build a program, something that will survive and succeed long after I'm no longer here."

That was one hell of a prophetic statement.

Reaction Score
Robert Morris may or may not have experienced some recent success, but the school located NW of Pittsburgh sure as hell is neither regional nor in NJ. /s
In addition, I don't believe UConn has ever played Robert Morris. So there's another strike.

I think it's pretty clear who the "secret" team is based on the OP and who posted it.

Reaction Score
In addition, I don't believe UConn has ever played Robert Morris. So there's another strike.

I think it's pretty clear who the "secret" team is based on the OP and who posted it.
Might’ve been UCL

Reaction Score
I know we yearn to play against more challenging regional mid-majors, but I heard a rumor today that UConn will face a regional mid-major in a "secret scrimmage". It's a school we've played before, a program with a rich history and a lot of recent success.
Harvard is a low major. They don't have a rich history with a lot of recent success. Tell your sources they got bad information. Was Harvard the team they said we'd be playing? I think this is at least the 3rd year in a row UConn has played Harvard in a secret scrimmage.

From Dave Borges:

Typically, Hurley has played two closed-door scrimmages in preparation for the regular season. Due to the exhibition game, this year it will only be one, against Harvard, whom Hurley has scrimmaged behind closed doors since his days as URI's head coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Harvard is a low major.
Debatable.

They don't have scholarships, but everyone on basketball gets a full ride anyways. Their academic prestige allows them to grab some guys that would play higher.

For the last 15 years they've pretty much always fallen in that 12-18 range for conferences. I think there are really 4 (maybe 5) clear tiers.

1-6 power
6-10 high mids (AAC, MWC A10, WCC)
11-18 true mids (Sun Belt, MVC, CUSA, Ivy, WAC, Southern, Big West, MAC)
19-32 lows (the rest). I'd certainly be open to an argument that the bottom 3 or 4 are their own tier, too. (NEC, SWAC, MEAC, Southland).

Reaction Score
Harvard is a low major. They don't have a rich history with a lot of recent success. Tell your sources they got bad information.

From Dave Borges:

Typically, Hurley has played two closed-door scrimmages in preparation for the regular season. Due to the exhibition game, this year it will only be one, against Harvard, whom Hurley has scrimmaged behind closed doors since his days as URI's head coach.

I don't think you'd find a single person who would describe Harvard as a low major and certainly nobody who would say Harvard doesn't have a rich history

Reaction Score
I don't think you'd find a single person who would describe Harvard as a low major and certainly nobody who would say Harvard doesn't have a rich history
O.K. I'll give you the Ivy League being mid-major. Seems to be the consensus on a bunch of websites from a Google search.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Debatable.

They don't have scholarships, but everyone on basketball gets a full ride anyways. Their academic prestige allows them to grab some guys that would play higher.

For the last 15 years they've pretty much always fallen in that 12-18 range for conferences. I think there are really 4 (maybe 5) clear tiers.

1-6 power
6-10 high mids (AAC, MWC A10, WCC)
11-18 true mids (Sun Belt, MVC, CUSA, Ivy, WAC, Southern, Big West, MAC)
19-32 lows (the rest). I'd certainly be open to an argument that the bottom 3 or 4 are their own tier, too. (NEC, SWAC, MEAC, Southland).
O.K. I'll go with the mid-major designation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom