I have lost track of 2019 recruits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I have lost track of 2019 recruits

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A bit nerve wracking to be this late in the year with no verbals when a strong class will be needed.

The current 2019-20 roster:
Dangerfield (Sr), C Williams (So), Walker (Jr), Ono (So)
Camara (Sr), Gordon (Jr)
Coombs (Jr), Bent (Sr), Irwin (Sr)​

Doesnt seem like a murderers' row. Could use some frosh impact players for next year and the year after.

Just looking at that first line, plenty of top end talent. If either of Gordon or Coombs develops between now and then, you could have another. I hope UConn fans have some realization of how spoiled they are. 2 consecutive #1 players from their class according to at least some of the scouting services and Dangerfield was probably the top PG from her class, and fretting about not having enough talent to compete? A vast majority of the rest of the teams and fan bases across the country wish they had problems like that.

Reaction Score
Just looking at that first line, plenty of top end talent. If either of Gordon or Coombs develops between now and then, you could have another. I hope UConn fans have some realization of how spoiled they are. 2 consecutive #1 players from their class according to at least some of the scouting services and Dangerfield was probably the top PG from her class, and fretting about not having enough talent to compete? A vast majority of the rest of the teams and fan bases across the country wish they had problems like that.

I didn't say they were bad. But this is UConn. The expectation is challenging for a NC every year. I don't see that team winning an NC without some additional help.

Reaction Score
Don't believe UCONN is still recruiting Cooke but I could understand why they would because her talent is undeniable. If UCONN is not recruiting her it is only because they believe they have better options which is arguably. Arguable because those other options might include (Clark & Van Lith). In 2017 Cooke outplayed Clark (Started, shot better, more steals, more rebounds). In 2018 she outplayed Van Lith (shot better, more steals, more rebounds). The strength of Cooke's game is getting to the basket and drawing fouls. Cooke lead the team in FTA in both 2017 (by a wide margin) and also in 2018. The down side of Cooke's game is what you point to "out of control"-in both 2017 & 2018 she had an assist ratio below 1=not very good. The part about being reigned is also arguable. Cooke started both 2017-18 way too amped an out of control. In 2018 during the exhibition and first two game Cooke either shot the ball every time she touch it or turned it over-I'm not exaggerating! To Carla's credit Cooke played much better as the tournament went along. What was most noticeable to me is that when Cooke came in to the games 2-6 she made a immediate defensive impact.
Cooke is going to come into college a top 5-10 talent in the class with enough skills to make an impact in college. Her school choice is critical, if she is determined to remained "unchanged" then she will graduate the same as she came.
I agree with most of what you're saying.
I watched her on the national team and she made a few moves that were phenomenal. Yes she was selfish and out of control the first few games and did play better and more team ball as games continued. Sure she knew if she didn't she sit more.
Does she want to have a coach who will insist upon it consistently or go play on many very good teams and do her thing. Unless I misread or misheard it, in the interview she did together with Horston I thought she said something about being able to be creative or something to that effect. Often that's analogous to letting it fly.
She maybe one of the most athletic and talented players, but doubt U Conn is the right fit for her or for U Conn.
I'm not sure if it was you or someone else previously mentioned she was on last years team, which gave her a heads up on Hailey Van Lith, who was on team for first time.
I personally prefer a point guard in control of herself and the team.
Bronx23

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I didn't say they were bad. But this is UConn. The expectation is challenging for a NC every year. I don't see that team winning an NC without some additional help.

I can definitely see needing more depth in the post. Walker's Fr. year wasn't quite what was expected but there's plenty of time for her to become a special player. It sounds like C. Williams could be a transcendent player. Danger was tearing people apart early last season before injuries slowed her down somewhat. Of course this is somewhat speculative but that trio could be unstoppable in '19-'20.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Look NW, most of us (UConn fans) realize we're spoiled, but like most "spoiled" folks, we don't wish to readily admit it. It's like walking up to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and telling him "he's tall". :eek: He knows he's tall. We know we're spoiled, so what? We know we're lucky and blessed to be alive at this particular time, and be fans and boosters of one of the most dominant WCBB programs in history.

Watching some of the best WCBB in the country. Watching them set records that will NEVER be broken, we know that. We're like most wealthy people. The more money they have, the more they want (or think they need). We want more!!! We want the same thing the other programs want.........the best players available, and we want to win more championships.

We don't waste time looking backwards or resting on our laurels. We only look forward, like that roaring lion that walks about seeking whom he may devour.
We like the thought of winning more championships. Living on your laurels is no fun. Every year presents a new challenge for us, and we're up for it. We want to see how many more times Geno can catch lightning in a bottle before he retires.

UCLA only won 1 national championship after the legendary "Wizard of Westwood " John Wooden retired in 1975. UConn may very well suffer that same fate after Geno leaves. But until he does, it's pedal to the metal, the clock is ticking. Let's win 4-5 more NC's before he leaves, starting with the next one in April 2019. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Scoop, one thing you stated is not really true. A number of UConn fans on this board quite often have said, in defense of Geno, that he has won eleven NC so he must know what he is doing. So your "we don't waste time looking backwards or resting on our laurels" is not true for some BY posters. The question now is, how many more will he win? What has been is no longer relevant to some of the new recruits..

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Scoop, one thing you stated is not really true. A number of UConn fans on this board quite often have said, in defense of Geno, that he has won eleven NC so he must know what he is doing. So your "we don't waste time looking backwards or resting on our laurels" is not true for some BY posters. The question now is, how many more will he win? What has been is no longer relevant to some of the new recruits..

You said: "A number of UConn fans on this board quite often have said, in defense of Geno, that he has won eleven NC so he must know what he is doing. So your "we don't waste time looking backwards or resting on our laurels" is not true for some BY posters". What?!? :eek: - I realize when I say or use the word "us", I must be careful, because it's all inclusive. I know I can't/don't speak for all UConn fans. No one does. It was a whimsical tongue in cheek comment. However, if you notice, I began my comment with the words "most of us" which does not include everyone, and is not all inclusive, and does not necessarily include the "some BY posters" you refer to.

I've heard Geno say too many times on The Geno Auriemma Show when he is speaking to his team at the beginning of the season that "The trophies in the trophy case are ours, no one can take them from us. We don't have to defend them" He also said "This team HAS NOT won anything". A reference to not looking back, and an admonition to look forward to their upcoming season that is in front of them. That's where he wants their focus and resolve to be.

We're only interested in what our future holds, what's in front of us!! We're moving forward, not backwards. Are you having a problem with my use of the words "us" or "we"?

You said: "A number of UConn fans on this board quite often have said, in defense of Geno, that he has won eleven NC so he must know what he is doing" I don't understand that comment?!? :confused: Nowhere in my comment did I intimate or suggest that Geno does not know what he's doing. I made no comment or reference as to how many championships Geno has won, nor did I make any reference about any future recruits.

Read it again, You're going to have to be more explicit in explaining the problem you're having with my post, because the issues you raise are not valid.

My post was not adversarial. The main gist of it was admitting to being spoiled, and wanting to win more championships, nothing more. I don't know where you're tying to go with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Scoop, it was just the one line that I mentioned. I do not have a problem with your post. The comments about Geno was included so that you would understand what some posters say when other posters complain about something that Geno does that SEEMS to hurt the team, such as the decision not to play Z more in the ND game or to not play Walker more during her freshman season. Those are the people to whom I am referring. Go back and read some of the posts that defends Geno's decisions this past season and many or some will state that UConn has won 11 NC so he must know what he is doing. I agree with everything else you stated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom