I Have Faith In HCBD | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I Have Faith In HCBD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As an individual who is as pi ed, possibly more than most regarding our current situation, I have some insight to add. I have a friend who knows the coach, played with the coach, and is well connected in football. That's all I'm saying regarding that to ensure too much information is not disclosed. For those of you who feel compelled to write a wise a comment about the person I know, save it for another thread bcuz I'm not interested, and am not disclosing anything else. Anyway, I have on several occasions expressed my extreme concern regarding the future of our conference affiliation as well as the state of the FB program. I recently called my buddy to "talk me off the ledge" after the last show performance last weekend. This is what I'm being told.... Uconn long term is going to be fine, and not to worry. As far as the state of the FB program, we are going to be back to a competitive level sooner than many of us believe. The one thing I'm hearing over and over is to "believe in the process" When I asked if I was listening to a Diaco press conf.... There was laughter, but again emphasis on "the process" and absolute conviction that Diaco is our guy so have faith. I will say this.. I'm not sure that there is any additional inside information there, as I try not to put my friend in an awkward position with to many questions but I will say that I feel more at ease with our future after our recent conversation. I share this because many on the board are looking for something to believe in, or hold onto regarding the future and I am one of them which is why I have shared this.
Go Huskies!!

It is understandable that many Bone Yarder's would be disappointed after the abysmal performances thus far. Hang in there folks!
Bob Diaco is building process and infrastructure for the future. This man does not believe in short cuts to success and is enough of a student of football talent to know that this year's team had severe limitations. He started last winter with going back to the basics of nutrition and strength training but unfortunately that was just not enough and there is just too much inexperience on the offense. It will be interesting to see what another year in the weight room with Balis will do for the team, particularly the young offensive linemen .

Right now, there is no one more disappointed than Bob Diaco, yet you will never see him throw any of his coaches or players under the bus. He is there to serve his players and coaches. He gives 100% of himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if UCONN is plays for the league championship in 2016! By that time many of the understandable negative posts will have been forgotten.

Check out Diaco's speech after winning the Frank Broyles Defensive coordinator of the year award in 2013. He loved his Notre Dame players then and his UCONN players now. Win or lose he has a servants heart and will turn this team into a winner!

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Diaco could go 1-11 this year and 0-12 next year and still not be fired. UConn can't afford it. He is getting 3 years minimum, so we just have to hope for him to succeed.

Reaction Score
Nellie dee fox:what about that 8mil soccerdude; hes a very very bright business brain

if he sends the mils the right way the new foosball era will be able to generate 10 fold for his soccer dudes & grow the 8mil into a soccer palace [tx grossed almost 110 mil from foosball 2013; i wonder what other big boys potentials are}

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Nellie dee fox:what about that 8mil soccerdude; hes a very very bright business brain

if he sends the mils the right way the new foosball era will be able to generate 10 fold for his soccer dudes & grow the 8mil into a soccer palace [tx grossed almost 110 mil from foosball 2013; i wonder what other big boys potentials are}

Anyone? I'm lost. Something about Rizza being smart, but that's all I got on this one.

Reaction Score
Duncan, if you try to tell me that certain things are happening, (i.e. the defensive game plan we opened up with against Tulane, among many others) are being done on purpose, I will reach through this computer screen and clothesline you. I mean this with great love.
The preforming step in a forging process.
Agree with the guy from Ellington , we are going to get some of the development next year, bowl the following...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amuse me and tell me the 3 games that UConn would have won with a better O line? Maybe USF but that is about it. And even then, it was a function of weather that kept Uconn in the game. I suppose you will say Tulane but I call that a toss up. So that is potentially 2. What is the other 1?

This board is full of passionate fans. For the most part, people are always optimistic in the off season. Another year of strength training for the younger players, the kids grow up mentally, they wont make the same mistakes as last year, etc...So a lot of people had unrealistic expectations. Reality sucks but it did not take a genius to see a 4/5 win cap for this year.

Going forward, this line is not going to get any faster by next year. Their footwork and technique is not going to have exponential growth. Most of them need to be in a road grader type of set with minimal zone blocking. They will continue to be beat with speed and stunts next year too. Their backups are not the answer either. The answer is not going to be seen for 2 to 3 more seasons/recruiting cycles. And hopefully Diaco is up to the task. I hope more of the fans are up to the task of stomaching another bad year next year and don't get unrealistic again based on winning 3 of the last 4 games on the schedule this season (yes, that is a prediction).

I am firmly in the tepid camp and was from day 1 about Diaco. I want him to succeed but he has done nothing to make me a believer. I have stopped reading his quotes because they make me insane. And words mean nothing.

I have reconciled myself to the conclusion that this year was a sacrifice to culture change. Next year will probably be one too for player development. Year 3, no more leeway for either. It needs to be a bowl or bust.

With all that had been said about the OLine since the beginning of spring practice and then Diaco telling us he was moving Tommy Hopkins to OG in order to get more athletic, I remember thinking, wow.

Reaction Score
The preforming step in a forging process.
Agree with the guy from Ellington , we are going to get some of the development next year, bowl the following...

I've had plenty of time to stew and get over it all now, and I did actually watch the recording again. Terrible camera angles. The reality is that if Newsome doesn't fumble twice, and Boyle doesn't throw that pick, and we actually start fielding punts again - that's how we got our only win so far - we win that game. Even with all the questionable decision making, the questionable coaching, yadda yadda. Simple ball security and field position football, avoiding a terrible throw, and we win. We are not that far away, but the attention to detail in all respects from fundamentals of body position to coaching big picture - is missing. I would love to have an explanation as to why I need to wait 3 seasons to see a football player line up in a decent football position prior to the snap.

I suppose I just have a tough time when it comes to football, thinking about anything but the next game. There is nothing that Diaco said in the press the other day that was inaccurate. There are a lot of things that are improving, and there is plenty of work to be done that can be corrected to get better. The brightest reasons for optimism are the facts that we have a solid, solid group of young players that are going to be together for at least 2 and 3 years - and that will give us plenty of time, to recruit to fill in the holes and gaps that have developed over the past several years going back to really 2008 or so. We also have a coach that is very passionate, energetic, and isn't going anywhere any time soon, and we need that consistency in coaching and recruiting.

I do think the OL continues to get a bad rap at this point, but it's not entirely accurate or precise. They still suck in pass protection and can get beat regularly in 1-1 or stunting situations, but they are getting better, I could not tell from the camera angles for sure, but my impression is that through the course of the season so far, Foley has got them really tightened up with their splits and spacing from where we started to where we are now. That is going to restrict our playbook and what we can do on offense, but that's just what we need to do to have a chance - get good at something, and build from there, and the run blocking has improved dramatically over half a season. The offense is going to see constant pressure coming on all downs for the rest of the season, and that is going to involve blocking from everybody - not just the 5 up front, to make the offense work. The backs, are getting better at picking it up. Whitmer, actually showed threat to run, which will help keep the DE's honest too.

The defense is good, and will only improve. The statistics are skewed because we're not playing powerhouse offenses, but they are solid. They will get a test this next game - I'm looking forward to seeing the D contain that ECU offense.

The only unit, IMNSHO, that hasn't shown significant improvement through the course of half a season is the TE's. The performance of that group, specifically in blocking, has hurt our offense in one way or another consistently through 6 games. That combined with the stuff I see happening macroscale on offense, makes me question not if Diaco is over his head - it's clear Diaco took a big jump into the deep end as a head coach, but is learning on the job, and he's the kind of guy that is going to improve - but I wonder if Cummings is over his head. He's coaching TE"s and OC as far as I can tell, and the progress is lagging - IMNSHO.

I'm probably annoying as hell by now, but I don't care. It all comes back to fundamentals for me. The simple basics of football position, and leverage when it comes to blocking and tackling. The simple basics of ball security.

It's hard for me Duncan, to reason out and accept why we need to wait 3 seasons, to see those fundamental things improve. We lost on Saturday night for only a few reasons. #1. Fumbles. #2. Interception #3.Catching kicks. #4. Poor fundamentals of both blocking and tackling. To me, fixing these things does not take several years. You put the players in simple drills, and do it until they get it right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still have faith in HCBD, but 3 of the 4 sacks in the Tulane game were after CW dropped back 7+ steps. I could be wrong, but I think it's past time to get those plays out of the playbook.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I still have faith in HCBD, but 3 of the 4 sacks in the Tulane game were after CW dropped back 7+ steps. I could be wrong, but I think it's past time to get those plays out of the playbook.
They did make an effort to do that.

Reaction Score
Fact: UConn football is flat out awful, and you would have to be delusional (ala Rutgersal) to think otherwise.

Reaction Score
15 years in without waivering, and I'm starting to waiver. Got to hang in but I just don't know how many more shows i
The one thing that irritates me the most about all of this is this team should be 4-2 instead of 1-5 and it's all about the offensive line. The O-line is what got P fired and Diaco & Co knew coming into this season what the biggest problem with the team was. Still, the O-line looks awful, worse even than the last few years and I don't see them recruiting P-5 caliber O-linemen. That has to be priority #1!! Get P-5 caliber O-lineman so you can compete at that level. If he and his staff are such great coaches & recruiters then prove it by building a top 25 offensive line. I don't care if Newsome is fast and elusive. Can he block? Diaco: Your process should start with teaching everybody on the team how to block. What's with the tight ends? They are like invisible out there. They don't block anybody because no one blocks anybody. I want to support the coaching staff but this is going on 4 years now and the line just looks worse and worse each year.
Something we can agree on.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="It's hard for me Duncan, to reason out and accept why we need to wait 3 seasons, to see those fundamental things improve. We lost on Saturday night for only a few reasons. #1. Fumbles. #2. Interception #3.Catching kicks. #4. Poor fundamentals of both blocking and tackling. To me, fixing these things does not take several years. You put the players in simple drills, and do it until they get it right.[/QUOTE]
I thought I was drawing a continuous line of improvement.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
FACT: UConn and Diaco have looked inept on offense every game this season.

FACT: Diaco makes at least one decision every game that is mind boggling.

FACT: He's a first year head coach so he could be good, but hasn't shown anything to date to substantiate that. We have to hope he's great, but that's blind faith.
Fact: Quoting or paraphrasing Zoo Cougar: he has taken a 5 car pile up and turned it into a train wreck.

This is a fact of any fan of this program who cannot believe how horrible we have fallen. Bottom 5 program bad.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Diaco could go 1-11 this year and 0-12 next year and still not be fired. UConn can't afford it. He is getting 3 years minimum, so we just have to hope for him to succeed.

Yep. He gets paid for 3 but is gone mid third. Yes, please do not let this happen. No P2, the Diaco years.
Sherifs and JUCO transfer linemen.
Spread offense or die

Reaction Score
Yep. He gets paid for 3 but is gone mid third. Yes, please do not let this happen. No P2, the Diaco years.
Sherifs and JUCO transfer linemen.
Spread offense or die
Yep, he is going to introduce something different next year.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Fact: Quoting or paraphrasing Zoo Cougar: he has taken a 5 car pile up and turned it into a train wreck.

This is a fact of any fan of this program who cannot believe how horrible we have fallen. Bottom 5 program bad.
Eh, I'm of the opinion that it was a slow-motion train wreck since year 2 of PP, - you could even argue the roots of that failure go back to Edsall's late years when he complained about not being able to get recruits qualified while Hathaway was coasting on his laurels. And surprise, surprise, it hasn't magically un-wrecked itself in year 1 of BD because he doesn't have the talent to work with (TJ's 3 wins at the end of last year were a bit of fool's gold, especially with CC unavailable this year).

If you didn't think we've been bad for a while, you haven't been paying attention.

Reaction Score
As hard as this team has been to watch, these last two bye weeks have given me enough time to reflect and realize that patience truly is in order. I was at least willing to give him through next season, but the reality is this team probably won't get to where it needs to be until year 3 under Diaco. He needs at least a couple full years to bring in his own recruits before anyone can really judge where this is going. If this team doesn't steadily improve by year 3, then all bets are off with him being considered a "good hire", which I believe he is. Matter of fact, we're probably lucky to have such a hot commodity want anything to do with UConn football considering how much its fallen since Edsall.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think UConn fans are feeling more patient with Diaco now that we have had Midnight Madness and the hoop team looks good. I know I am.

Reaction Score
I think UConn fans are feeling more patient with Diaco now that we have had Midnight Madness and the hoop team looks good. I know I am.

It's funny. As football was growing I couldn't pay any attention to hoops until the bowls were over. NOW, I'm looking forward to hoops and worrying less about football (or I will be once the season starts). Although the dumpster fire of a home BB schedule isn't making me feel great.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I didn't think the Men looked particularly great (e.g. despite his re-found athleticism, Calhoun is still demonstrating he can't hit the broad side of a barn), but it was a meaningless scrimmage and EVERYBODY had an ear-to-ear grin. On the other hand, I was already 3 deep and wasn't watching super closely, as I would be for a regular season game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Brimah on D and Purvis on O will make a lot of people forget all about Diaco's offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom