I hate to say it but, | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I hate to say it but,

Reaction Score
Uhh I wouldn’t say Only upsides.

downsides:
  • Vegas is far from most of country (so not an easy/cheap trip)
  • local support in the west has generally been bad (see Fresno)
  • WCBb fans within driving distance = tiny
  • the women’s tournament has used early start times (eg noon) to avoid TV competition with the men
Lots of easy flights to Las Vegas. Lots of hotel space. If could be worse...

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Think you're confused. When there are 4 regionals, each one has 3 games (2 semis + final). This will mean 6 games per site. Easily accomplished in 2 days at a single site.
Has been done before, 2007, doubled up the first and second rounds. Not a big deal with one venue. So I agree.

Reaction Score
Triaddukefan, Albany had UCONN, Chicago had Notre Dame, Portland had Oregon and Greensboro had nobody from their region. If a regional team had made it to the finals, history shows attendance would have been compatible to Albany. Just the break's of the game.

Reaction Score
Good points above regarding the Regional Change format beginning in 2023 and the way in which the current system works.

As far as the broader issue regarding the strength of the Eastern teams, it is and has been UConn, period. Those other teams mentioned in some cases have moved to tougher conferences but I question the premise - they were never really a huge factor on the national level to begin with.

Rutgers admittedly had some fairly decent years and lost in the Finals in 2007. Rutgers and Penn State made the Final Four in 2000 but not to the title game. And Syracuse somehow made it to the title game in 2016 despite a low seeding. I seem to recall that they lost to a pretty decent team.

Other than Connecticut, that is it for Northeast schools in the Final Four. Not much to talk about.

The Power Five conferences are also stepping it up even more when it comes to WCBB, especially the PAC 12 and the SEC.

Women's basketball seems different from men's basketball. For decades, teams around the nation recruited boys from the asphalt courts of inner cities in Washington, Baltimore, New York, and Phillie. The Northeast was home to all the talent. But look at the top women's recruits, and there is a major weighting in the South: Georgia, Texas, Noth Carolina. ESPN lists 8 of the top 17 recruits in the 2021 class as coming from the South. Six are from the Northeast (including Fudd from DC).

And it used to be that the top college basketball schools were arguably in the Northeast, including the Big East, which eclipsed the ACC.

Reaction Score
2019: the last time the 4 Regionals were held: Attendance at the final game:

Albany-9,204
Chicago-5,555
Greensboro-4,164
Portland-11,538
Last 5 years, ranked by the 2-day average at each regional

1613068499506.png

Reaction Score
Women’s basketball has largely been a southern thing. Wayland Baptist, Delta St, La Tech, old dominion. And the history of the SEC.
some pockets elsewhere but mostly south

that was part of the issue around uconns rise — it brought attention to the sport in the northeast

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Delaware, when Elena Delle Donne was there, was pretty tough.
Not at all. They made it to 2 NCAAs and beat i believe two ranked teams in her 4 years.

Reaction Score
Delaware, when Elena Delle Donne was there, was pretty tough.
I remember that. That was the NCAA's biggest suck-up ever IMHO. UNC was a very high seed, like an 3 or a 4 so they should of been home. Delaware was an 11 or 8. Yet the NCAA put the game in Delaware. A three seed having to go on the road to play an 11 seed, smh.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
UCONN has won their Regional for the last 12 years. During this period, the Regional UCONN was in averaged the highest attendance. The next few years favor them to follow that pattern.
So, if it's about $$$, continue an Eastern Regional in the EAST.

If it's about FAIRNESS, hold a Regional in Alaska, Wyoming, or Vermont!

Reaction Score
I remember that. That was the NCAA's biggest suck-up ever IMHO. UNC was a very high seed, like an 3 or a 4 so they should of been home. Delaware was an 11 or 8. Yet the NCAA put the game in Delaware. A three seed having to go on the road to play an 11 seed, smh.
The higher seed always hosts unless their arena is unavailable. So UNC must not have been able to host.
UNC was a 3, Delaware a 6 seed

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'd like to think Rutgers is back on the upswing. Diamond Johnson is the next great Rutgers guard. I think she can be in the same lane as Tasha Pointer(but with a jumpshot), Prince, Ajavon, etc.

Her numbers this year are outstanding. 18.2 PPG, 55% FG, 47.8% from three, and 88% from the line.

Our freshman class this year, I think all have a bright future for us...so there's reason to be excited about the future. I also am excited for the rest of this season too, I think this team can do big things if we get everyone healthly.

Reaction Score
The higher seed always hosts unless their arena is unavailable. So UNC must not have been able to host.
They were able to host. Carmichael was empty as was the Dean Dome.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Talk to Rutgers - this was the era where teams bid to host. So far as I know, in advance. UNC therefore either didn't bid or didn't submit a winning bid. A couple of years later for the 2015 tourney they returned to the top 16 hosting.
Since teams winning bids could host, it was typical at that time for teams that expected to be in the tourney to bid. The only teams "screwed" in this scenario were the higher seeds that played on lower-seeds home floor. Rutgers more than once, North Carolina the year in question.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
That was the 2005 - 2008 8 pre-determined sites and 2009-2014 16 pre-determined sites era.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom