I Hate To Interrupt All This Fine Coach Bashing, But A Word On Chandler Whitmer | The Boneyard

I Hate To Interrupt All This Fine Coach Bashing, But A Word On Chandler Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I thought this kid had a very good year. He was literally fighting for his life behind that OL, and he showed that he has the arm and the tenacity for the job. I think UConn can build an offense around him throwing the ball based on what we saw this year.

Reaction Score
I concur. I am concerned that his injury could potentially be career ending. I have no medical background on which to base this concern.

Reaction Score
I thought this kid had a very good year. He was literally fighting for his life behind that OL, and he showed that he has the arm and the tenacity for the job. I think UConn can build an offense around him throwing the ball based on what we saw this year.

I agree. He had 2,600 yards passing.

Reaction Score
I thought he was fine. Needs to obviously cut down on his turnovers, but I saw a kid that you can build around for the next 2 years. The biggest negative, aside from the INT's, is that I thought he regressed a bit as the season went on.

I'm still seething over that play call putting him at risk like that one week removed from his first concussion. Someone should've immediately taken GDL's (and P's for that matter) headsets from him and told him to take a hike.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What a tough kid. And imagine taking the beating he takes knowing that his receivers aren't going to catch the ball unless he sticks it in the numbers. They aren't giving near the effort he is. Who was that Phillips, who made a catch for the 1st down and gets up with the "hey look at me "shimmy? Next play he drops a nice deep ball that Whitmer put right in his hands.

Reaction Score
Until the offense starts coming up with game plans that exploit our opponent's weakness, no QB will succeed. GDL offense just run the same stuff every weak (pun intended).

Ask yourself this -- when was the last time the words innovative or creative used to describe our offense? When.

Reaction Score
Put him in a competent offensive scheme, and he could be a very solid QB. Still has turnover issues, but the kid showed guts all year despite taking a pounding.

Reaction Score
He's serviceable at best, IMO he's not a BCS conference level qb. I agree that he's a tough kid and the O-line didn't help him as much, but here's what I saw with consistency;

1. He did not go through his reads and progressions - I don't want to hear that he didn't have time due to the O-line - When QB's feel pressure, they need to throw the ball away and not force it.

2. He threw into double and even triple coverage a lot, again while having time, not going through progression.

3. He constantly stared down his receiver, if I had a nickle for every time he did this...

4. He was inconsistent with his throws, he'd make a great throw and follow up with a poorly thrown ball, I think this was partly due to the wildcat package that would disrupt his rhythm.

5. I don't think he ever pump faked once this year

I don't know the fascination that people have with Whitmer, he's a good kid, but not the right guy to lead the Huskies. I won't be surprised to see Cochran or Laglow push him. I think we need a lot more QB help. It's a shame that McCummings was not allowed to do anything more than the wildcat, he made some good throws and made good decisions with the ball at times, the wildcat has been such a waste of his development.

Reaction Score
I thought he was fine. Needs to obviously cut down on his turnovers, but I saw a kid that you can build around for the next 2 years. The biggest negative, aside from the INT's, is that I thought he regressed a bit as the season went on.

I'm still seething over that play call putting him at risk like that one week removed from his first concussion. Someone should've immediately taken GDL's (and P's for that matter) headsets from him and told him to take a hike.

This on all fronts. He wasn't great -- too many unforced errors early and he didn't throw as well when it got cold -- but a solid start.

I've already made clear my view on the fiasco that got Whitmer hurt Saturday. I just hope the utter stupidity of our staff doesn't cost the young man his career.

Reaction Score
Whitmer, for the most part, was more than adequate this year. He'll have to win the job again next season and he will. He was not the problem this season.

Reaction Score
I hope Whitmer's mother let GDL and PP hear how stupid they were/are.

Reaction Score
He's serviceable at best, IMO he's not a BCS conference level qb. I agree that he's a tough kid and the O-line didn't help him as much, but here's what I saw with consistency;

1. He did not go through his reads and progressions - I don't want to hear that he didn't have time due to the O-line - When QB's feel pressure, they need to throw the ball away and not force it.

2. He threw into double and even triple coverage a lot, again while having time, not going through progression.

3. He constantly stared down his receiver, if I had a nickle for every time he did this...

4. He was inconsistent with his throws, he'd make a great throw and follow up with a poorly thrown ball, I think this was partly due to the wildcat package that would disrupt his rhythm.

5. I don't think he ever pump faked one this year

I don't know the fascination that people have with Whitmer, he's a good kid, but not the right guy to lead the Huskies. I won't be surprised to see Cochran or Laglow push him. I think we need a lot more QB help. It's a shame that McCummings was not allowed to do anything more than the wildcat, he made some good throws and made good decisions with the ball at times, the wildcat has been such a waste of his development.

He's a feakin first year player. What did you expect, Landry Jones or the Manuel kid from FSU? Did he get better as the year progressed? I think so. Is he a Heisman candidate? No. Let him get a little more experience and a little more of a supporting cast, and maybe a gameplan that buys him a little time and I think he will be a pretty good QB. Superstar, probably not, but more than "serviceable" for sure.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...It's a shame that McCummings was not allowed to do anything more than the wildcat, he made some good throws and made good decisions with the ball at times, the wildcat has been such a waste of his development.

What Wildcat? By definition Uconn did not have a Wildcat. McCummings is a back up QB.

Reaction Score
He's our best QB since Orlovsky. If you don't think he is BCS caliber then you should watch more college football. There are some really miserable QBs out there doing OK with decent protection and WRs that can catch.

It's hard to not throw INTs when you are running for your life. Being a QB is hard enough to do when you are protected.

Reaction Score
What a tough kid. And imagine taking the beating he takes knowing that his receivers aren't going to catch the ball unless he sticks it in the numbers. They aren't giving near the effort he is. Who was that Phillips, who made a catch for the 1st down and gets up with the "hey look at me "shimmy? Next play he drops a nice deep ball that Whitmer put right in his hands.

Yep. Guys "act like you're not surprised that you caught the ball". Up back to the huddle and catch the next one thrown your way. That's the only performing I'm interested in.

Reaction Score
Yep. Guys "act like you're not surprised that you caught the ball". Up back to the huddle and catch the next one thrown your way. That's the only performing I'm interested in.

I wish I could like this post twice.

Reaction Score
I hope Whitmer's mother let GDL and PP hear how stupid they were/are.

If she didn't, allow me the opportunity. Of course, if its me, they both are clearing out their office today.

Reaction Score
He's our best QB since Orlovsky. If you don't think he is BCS caliber then you should watch more college football. There are some really miserable QBs out there doing OK with decent protection and WRs that can catch.

It's hard to not throw INTs when you are running for your life. Being a QB is hard enough to do when you are protected.

BS, our best qb since Dan O was Frazer. Maybe you should watch more football, because it was obvious that he didn't go through his reads and threw into double coverage when he should have just thrown the ball away.

You shouldn't take things so personal Zoo, you have a right not to agree with me, but you don't have to be a baby about it.

Reaction Score

His biggest problem, he waits too long to move to his second read. He almost never checks down.

This is a repeat of number 1.

Every QB does this sometimes including Payton and Eli Manning. But again, this is a repeat of #1.

Agree with the note that consistency is heavily influenced by pressure. The wildcat comment is on the coaches.

5. I don't think he ever pump faked one this year.

Again this is on the coaches, the pump fake is usually part of a play. QB don't just do this on their own except when scrambling.

In total, you have identified one very bad flaw. Not moving through his progression. But the rest are just a variation of this flaw or on the coaches. The good news is that this is a flaw that can be addressed. It isn't a mechanic problem. The bad news is the problem with the offense, the wildcat, lack of pump fakes, poor game planning, do not look like they will change.

I do see a a flaw in CW you did not mention.
His inability to make the short throw. He has no feel for the screen game. Or even the swing pass. He is an inaccurate downfield thrower because he doesn't know how to put air under the ball.
I see these as related because both are affected by feel. He is terrific throwing hard line drives. However, using touch or putting air under the ball require finesse. If he is ever to become a D1 QB he must learn this, it is not natural for him.

Reaction Score
BS, our best qb since Dan O was Frazer. Maybe you should watch more football, because it was obvious that he didn't go through his reads and throw into double coverage when he should have just thrown the ball away.

You shouldn't take thins so personal Zoo, you have a right not to agree with me, but you don't have to be a baby about it.
Yeah, I don't think I am the one taking this one personally. Seriously. Frazer was pretty good, right up until the 2009 season ended. After that, he forgot how to play football.

I'll take Whitmer over him any day. Frazer never lost a staring contest. Whitmer actually looked off safeties and pump faked this season. He wasn't perfect, but he was pretty damn good without the great protection Frazer was afforded and far more durable.

2600 yards passing trumps any of Frazer's totals.

Reaction Score
BS, our best qb since Dan O was Frazer. Maybe you should watch more football, because it was obvious that he didn't go through his reads and threw into double coverage when he should have just thrown the ball away.

You shouldn't take things so personal Zoo, you have a right not to agree with me, but you don't have to be a baby about it.

Frazer locked in even more than Whitmer does. Not close. Not arguable. He was a one read QB -- if the first read wasn't there, he threw it away. Was Frazer a better QB as a senior than Whitmer is now? I'd say yes by the smallest of margins, if only because Frazer forced fewer passes, as is common when a QB gains experience.

Reaction Score
He's a feakin first year player. What did you expect, Landry Jones or the Manuel kid from FSU? Did he get better as the year progressed? I think so. Is he a Heisman candidate? No. Let him get a little more experience and a little more of a supporting cast, and maybe a gameplan that buys him a little time and I think he will be a pretty good QB. Superstar, probably not, but more than "serviceable" for sure.

I'm not as harsh on Whitmer than bigeastconf was, but I think those criticisms are more than fair. Like I said, he was fine. Not great, but I saw enough to hope that he can be a BCS level QB for the next 2 years.

I'm not sure that I saw him progress throughout the year though. That would be my biggest concern with him. Hopefully a new OC is in place for spring ball.

Reaction Score
I think he may have struggled a bit when the weather got cold but also because he was getting a little shell shocked by season's end. You can't get sacked and hit that may times without it havin gsome effect. I also don't think it helped that our passing plays seemed to take a fair amount of time to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom