I Hate ESPN | The Boneyard

I Hate ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't have ESPN U. It was bad enough I missed our team play Stanford. Now I'll miss another game that I really wanted to see which is Kentucky vs Notre Dame.

And I refuse to call or write my cable company since that would be doing exactly what ESPN wants me to do. How many people actually watch the Timbersports Series which is what they are now showing on ESPN 2? I don't watch a ton of wcb games, but the few I've wanted to watch have been on ESPN U rather than than ESPN or ESPN 2. The TENN Rutgers game became a hue bore and I ended up turning it off after 10 minutes. Oh well. Guess I'll catch up on some reading.

I think the folks at ESPN are doing more harm than good. I've found my interest starting to wane and I don't see how they'll ever attract new fans.

Reaction Score
After bashing ESPN, I guess I should also thank them for having enough sense to put tonight's game on ESPN and not ESPN U. lol

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
How many people actually watch the Timbersports Series which is what they are now showing on ESPN 2? .

More than watch women's basketball?

Don't write ESPN. It's sorta like not wanting to purchase an online subscription to papers to read their coverage of wbball. You get what you don't pay for/activate for.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think they're a pretty damn successful connecticut company who have had the presence of mind to extend their brand by having lots of different channels. The marginal cost to my DirecTV bill is more than paid for by getting to watch a veritable smorgasbord of sports programming. Thank God for ESPN. They're the only entity that has ever sunk significant money into WBB.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I don't have ESPN U. It was bad enough I missed our team play Stanford. Now I'll miss another game that I really wanted to see which is Kentucky vs Notre Dame.

And I refuse to call or write my cable company since that would be doing exactly what ESPN wants me to do. How many people actually watch the Timbersports Series which is what they are now showing on ESPN 2? I don't watch a ton of wcb games, but the few I've wanted to watch have been on ESPN U rather than than ESPN or ESPN 2. The TENN Rutgers game became a hue bore and I ended up turning it off after 10 minutes. Oh well. Guess I'll catch up on some reading.

I think the folks at ESPN are doing more harm than good. I've found my interest starting to wane and I don't see how they'll ever attract new fans.
Are you sure your cable company does not provide an optional sport package that includes ESPNU?

Reaction Score
I think they're a pretty damn successful connecticut company who have had the presence of mind to extend their brand by having lots of different channels. The marginal cost to my DirecTV bill is more than paid for by getting to watch a veritable smorgasbord of sports programming. Thank God for ESPN. They're the only entity that has ever sunk significant money into WBB.
I agree, Alex. And how is ESPNU supposed to grow if they don't offer games that people want to watch? ESPN is a business, and a business tries to turn a profit. More good games=more subscribers. More subscribers=more profit.I remember when they used to put things on ESPN2, which I didn't get at the time, but harrassed the cable company till they put it on. Every channel costs the cable company money, which is why there are various packages. When ESPN2 grew to be pretty common on cable lineups, it gives ESPN the money to expand to things like ESPNU. Like Alex, I thank God for ESPN.
And Hoopfan, you are very lucky that they DIDN'T put tonight's game on ESPNU. And as Speedoo suggested above, see if there isn't a sports package that has it. Last year, I signed up for it and got ESPNU, CBSSB, and a bunch of other stations for a very reasonable cost. Now I have DirectTV, and so far I can't find CBSSN. but there are so many durned channels, (including ESPNU) it is probably there someplace.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
More than watch women's basketball?

Don't write ESPN. It's sorta like not wanting to purchase an online subscription to papers to read their coverage of wbball. You get what you don't pay for/activate for.

Possibly not, but it's likely there are more in that demographic that advertisers love.

Reaction Score
I agree, Alex. And how is ESPNU supposed to grow if they don't offer games that people want to watch? ESPN is a business, and a business tries to turn a profit. More good games=more subscribers. More subscribers=more profit.I remember when they used to put things on ESPN2, which I didn't get at the time, but harrassed the cable company till they put it on. Every channel costs the cable company money, which is why there are various packages. When ESPN2 grew to be pretty common on cable lineups, it gives ESPN the money to expand to things like ESPNU. Like Alex, I thank God for ESPN.
And Hoopfan, you are very lucky that they DIDN'T put tonight's game on ESPNU. And as Speedoo suggested above, see if there isn't a sports package that has it. Last year, I signed up for it and got ESPNU, CBSSB, and a bunch of other stations for a very reasonable cost. Now I have DirectTV, and so far I can't find CBSSN. but there are so many durned channels, (including ESPNU) it is probably there someplace.
Dairyair...try 613!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Games are not free. They cost money to televise, and these costs increase each year.

Reaction Score
Thanks, H2O! You were right. I hadn't ventured that high up yet.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Games are not free. They cost money to televise, and these costs increase each year.

So what are they doing with the advertising money they make with 3 minute timeouts every 10 minutes?????

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
So what are they doing with the advertising money they make with 3 minute timeouts every 10 minutes?????

Paying the bills.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Women's basketball advertising does not bring in nearly the same amount of revenue as its male counterpart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom