I Finally Chose To Think About "The Loss" This Morning | The Boneyard

I Finally Chose To Think About "The Loss" This Morning

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Up to now I haven't thought about the loss. Oh, I acknowledged it, but as I pushed it out of my mind. Today I thought about it and this simple little thought is what it boiled down to: It was such an uncharacteristic game that it was like a random collision. Just one of those things that the universe occasionally sends our way, only this time it sent this random event the Huskies way. I suspect this has been lurking in my subconscious since the moment I heard of the loss, because, as a rabid fan, I have been and remain so unaffected by the loss.

In fact it's not "The Loss", just a loss.

Reaction Score
Well said. And, I am sure that there will be many interpretations of this "loss". I kinda think that this was the message that Geno was trying to send to the team all season long and it manifested itself in this loss to Mississippi State. Give credit to Mississippi State as well.

Given the fact that the bulk of the Team is returning, this is a message that will be long remembered and I would think that the two graduating seniors next year will provide inspiration to carry on the tradition of excellence of UConn basketball. I also think that KLS and NC will be possessed. I think that this team is going to be inspired, and will be on fire next year. Watch out for AZ who sat out a year and is chomping at the bit to get into action.

Given the transfers that were in incurred on the other teams and the new players at UConn, this should prove both interesting and great viewing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
RMT2 - I agree, there is a certain other worldliness to the loss, but that is what happens when you lose two games in the last 160 over 5 years. It is also why Geno kept saying each win was one win closer to the next loss, and why some of us at least wouldn't have minded Uconn losing in the AAC tournament. I do believe the streak prevented the team from having the benefit of a break, a chance to take a deep breath and regroup. They handled it really well, but it was a burden and sort of a surreal experience - like a spinning top that is beautiful to behold but surely will topple over at some point.

That it came down to a final buzzer beating shot is a testament to how well they preformed.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that one effect of the loss that may only recently have become manifest is that WNBA scouts took note of the fact that Saniya Chong was on the floor at crunch time, and was called upon to make the bid for the winning basket. Even though she wasn't successful, that had to tell them that Geno had faith in her, and had overcome whatever reservations he expressed previously about her focus, her defense, her maturity, etc., etc.

That game, and possibly that overtime period, may have greatly assisted Saniya in earning the spot that she now holds on a WNBA roster.

Reaction Score
"From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger"
Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, or, How to Philosophize with a Hammer (1889)​

And who doubts that UConn's team next year won't be stronger?

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I haven't posted since that game. So much uncharacteristic play that it reinforces that nothing is given. I, like many others, wish it would have happened much earlier. What impressed me most was the classy way Geno handled the defeat.

Reaction Score
We were on vacation in Mexico. I watched the game without being able to hear the commentary at times due to the loud crowd in the resort's "Sports Bar". Mississippi State won that game on defense, not offense. For me, the game came down to two things. First, our guards had a hard time with their ball pressure. Second, Teaira McCowan was a very difficult match-up for Collier and Williams. Morgan William is super quick. She and her teammates were pesky enough to really bother Chong and Dangerfield. They pressured the ball in the half court, making every pass difficult. They were really good taking the pass to Williams in the high post away from Uconn. That is where much of the offense originated from this season. The offense was similarly inhibited by their front court size. Collier and Williams played heroically all year, but they came up against someone who was flat-out hard to move. With that being said, we were right there at the end. I felt for Chong. She was trying to win the game, but she would not have been my pick to take the final shot. It was a great year and they have remedied their lack of size for this year, that's for sure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This year's team was always vulnerable. It is a testament to the players and Geno and the staff that made it to the final 4 before losing. I have to say, I was disappointed with the loss and I felt bad for the players, but it wasn't a gut punch to me. But I bet it was to them, all of them, but especially for Pheese.

This year these guys were living in the moment, with an expectation that it would all work out in the end. Next year, I fully expect them to be on a mission.

I like our chances.

Reaction Score
We were on vacation in Mexico. I watched the game without being able to hear the commentary at times due to the loud crowd in the resort's "Sports Bar". Mississippi State won that game on defense, not offense. For me, the game came down to two things. First, our guards had a hard time with their ball pressure. Second, Teaira McCowan was a very difficult match-up for Collier and Williams. Morgan William is super quick. She and her teammates were pesky enough to really bother Chong and Dangerfield. They pressured the ball in the half court, making every pass difficult. They were really good taking the pass to Williams in the high post away from UConn. That is where much of the offense originated from this season. The offense was similarly inhibited by their front court size. Collier and Williams played heroically all year, but they came up against someone who was flat-out hard to move. With that being said, we were right there at the end. I felt for Chong. She was trying to win the game, but she would not have been my pick to take the final shot. It was a great year and they have remedied their lack of size for this year, that's for sure.

Watching with the sound turned down (or as if you are passionately rooting for the other team) is a great way to see the game from a different perspective. Really changes what you think you are seeing.

And yes, MSU won it on defense (hence, our season low in assists, on a team that broke assist records, and 2nd lowest point total of the season). And MSU made their shots.

But we also missed too many FTs and many shots that almost always go in--any one of which would have changed the outcome ("Of all sad words . . ."). Napheesa, unfortunately, had what must have been her poorest shooting performance of the year. 4 baskets. 2 FTs. 11 points. Phees shot 67.8% on the season. She shot 36.4% against MSU. Gabby the Lion-Hearted had one of the greatest games of her career, plagued only by too many turnovers (again, credit MSU's defense). Lou logged all 45 minutes, 5 rebounds, a couple blocks, and 15 points.

Just one of those nights where, as they say, the basket had a lid on it. But for that, UConn would probably have gone on to win the national title. (Just inconceivable that coming off a near-death experience in the final four we would repeat the performance in the championship.) 5 titles in a row. ongoing 113 game winning streak. 38-0 season. Poof. Up in smoke.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Well said. And, I am sure that there will be many interpretations of this "loss". I kinda think that this was the message that Geno was trying to send to the team all season long and it manifested itself in this loss to Mississippi State. Give credit to Mississippi State as well.

Given the fact that the bulk of the Team is returning, this is a message that will be long remembered and I would think that the two graduating seniors next year will provide inspiration to carry on the tradition of excellence of UConn basketball. I also think that KLS and NC will be possessed. I think that this team is going to be inspired, and will be on fire next year. Watch out for AZ who sat out a year and is chomping at the bit to get into action.

Given the transfers that were in incurred on the other teams and the new players at UConn, this should prove both interesting and great viewing.

I can't see Pheesa being anything else than even, calm and steady. She already does her share of grinding it out under the boards. I would love to see KLS develop a nasty streak and start pushing back in a nice way. By nice, I mean in-your-face, on the edge of mean.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
They played an uncharacteristically non-dominating game
Never took control
Allowed State to hang around and more
And gave them the last shot for the win.
Happens...

Though I don't think it will happen next season.
The team will be tougher, more experienced and ample.
Sad and shocked but philosophical.
Can't win em all...no one can.

Reaction Score
This year's team was always vulnerable. It is a testament to the players and Geno and the staff that made it to the final 4 before losing. I have to say, I was disappointed with the loss and I felt bad for the players, but it wasn't a gut punch to me. But I bet it was to them, all of them, but especially for Pheese.

This year these guys were living in the moment, with an expectation that it would all work out in the end. Next year, I fully expect them to be on a mission.

I like our chances.

I agree with all of this, but would add that it was probably quite a gut punch for Nurse as well. As an upperclassman, and a member of the Canadian National team, I was looking to Nurse as one with the experience and wherewithal to recognize and counteract the tactics so successfully deployed by the MSU guards. As it was, only Gabby performed up to her usual level that night.

I look at this loss as very similar to the Wimbledon tennis men's singles final of 1975 between Arthur Ashe and Jimmy Connors. You had an extreme underdog who came in with a brilliantly thought-out game plan, and who executed that strategy completely without fear and almost to perfection. And then you had a whole lot of uncharacteristic non-performance on the other side. Let's face it, that's the beauty of sports, it's why we watch. The thrill of victory can only be fully appreciated after experiencing the agony of defeat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Up to now I haven't thought about the loss. Oh, I acknowledged it, but as I pushed it out of my mind. Today I thought about it and this simple little thought is what it boiled down to: It was such uncharacteristic game that it was like a random collision. Just one of those things that the universe occasionally sends our way, only this time it sent this random event the Huskies way. I suspect this has been lurking in my subconscious since the moment I heard of the loss, because, as a rabid fan, I have been and remain so unaffected by the loss.

I concur! I think because I expected many losses in many games---the final loss was anti-climatic. However, I have watched that game a half dozen times to try to understand "what happened" ---and each time my conclusions changed--one thought remained constant: Miss St did not Win that game; Uconn lost it. My gut feeling, no fact (I'm good at no facts), is that the top 3 or 4 Uconn players ALL were overcome by the moment and even Geno could not correct it--it was mental/emotional. Uconn came close at least twice before--Fla and Tulane---but mentally pulled off the wins.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I concur! I think because I expected many losses in many games---the final loss was anti-climatic. However, I have watched that game a half dozen times to try to understand "what happened" ---and each time my conclusions changed--one thought remained constant: Miss St did not Win that game; UConn lost it. My gut feeling, no fact (I'm good at no facts), is that the top 3 or 4 UConn players ALL were overcome by the moment and even Geno could not correct it--it was mental/emotional. UConn came close at least twice before--Fla and Tulane---but mentally pulled off the wins.

That's a good an explanation as any for this event, but I think it was not that they were overcome, but simply all had bad games at once.

Reaction Score
That's a good an explanation as any for this event, but I think it was not that they were overcome, but simply all had bad games at once.
I couldn't argue with that--because, after watch that game and the two mentioned, the only defense that truly disturbed UC was on Napheesa under the basket--other than that--my take (for what it is worth) --mental/emotional????

Reaction Score

The body language was not good, and the shots we were missing (Collier especially), were those that would be hit 9 times out of 10. It's hard to look at that and say it was only physical.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The body language was not good, and the shots we were missing (Collier especially), were those that would be hit 9 times out of 10. It's hard to look at that and say it was only physical.

I wasn't confining myself to physical in the "bad game" department and mental can, of course, play a part in a down performance. I just reject the idea they were psyched out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Up to now I haven't thought about the loss. Oh, I acknowledged it, but as I pushed it out of my mind. Today I thought about it and this simple little thought is what it boiled down to: It was such an uncharacteristic game that it was like a random collision. Just one of those things that the universe occasionally sends our way, only this time it sent this random event the Huskies way. I suspect this has been lurking in my subconscious since the moment I heard of the loss, because, as a rabid fan, I have been and remain so unaffected by the loss.

Took you long enough..... how long has it been? A month and a half? :cool: :p

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
They played an uncharacteristically non-dominating game
Never took control
Allowed State to hang around and more
And gave them the last shot for the win.
Happens...

Though I don't think it will happen next season.
The team will be tougher, more experienced and ample.
Sad and shocked but philosophical.
Can't win em all...no one can.

Watch the aac championship game effort vs miss st. The were playing in slo motion in game 2. The same level of effort was just not there.

the Q

Reaction Score
I wasn't confining myself to physical in the "bad game" department and mental can, of course, play a part in a down performance. I just reject the idea they were psyched out.

They were clearly tight, and they didn't play with the same speed or intensity.

Check out the south Florida game in the aac tourney compared to that one. Didn't even look like the same team, they played at a much slower speed and effort level.

The moment got too big for them. It happens to many players. He'll the same thing was said about Lebron for years.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
this could of and was expected to happen atleast 3 times and up to 5 times for the season... there's no excuse for the loss from me. it was an exciting run

the Q

Reaction Score
this could of and was expected to happen atleast 3 times and up to 5 times for the season... there's no excuse for the loss from me. it was an exciting run

I agree, pre-sesaon i saw 3-5 losses, including Maryland, SC and ND.

But that doesn't make losing to a clearly inferior team any easier.

Especially the way they did it.

It's one thing if MSU just shot their brains out like they did against Baylor. It's another to give the level of effort that everyone not named Gabby did and play that poorly.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Watch the aac championship game effort vs miss st. The were playing in slo motion in game 2. The same level of effort was just not there.

I was there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom