I Feel Like I Was Just Given A Taste Of Something Delicious... | The Boneyard

I Feel Like I Was Just Given A Taste Of Something Delicious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
... but dinner is 12 days away...
I was grinning the whole way through the Geno show (both times)... I'm busting with anticipation.
Can't wait to see Stef (my new fav and apparently Geno's also) and KML especially.
:)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Repeat after me: Kaleena is not Maya. Kaleena is not Maya.

But ... there are similarities, Kaleena is a great player, and she may be the best shooter ever at UConn.

Ok, I'll take it! :)

Reaction Score
Repeat after me: Kaleena is not Maya. Kaleena is not Maya...
OK, Geno - now you repeat after me: Kaleena is not pronounced Kalana, Kaleena is not pronounced Kalana ....

Hope he corrects that quirk sometime this season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

But ... there are similarities, Kaleena is a great player, and she may be the best shooter ever at UConn.

I hope folks dont stick that "like Maya" tag to her... it isnt fair. I hate the comparing of the 2 thats been going on

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope folks dont stick that "like Maya" tag to her... it isnt fair. I hate the comparing of the 2 thats been going on
I agree that it can be overdone, but some of if is natural. Don't expect 3 Wade trophies, but expect her to do her thing, which is to compete, play smart, make lots of shots, and win. And that is what Maya did. Don't put an unfair burden on Kaleena, but anyone who gets mentioned in the same context must be a great player. Let's watch and enjoy KML, the one and only.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I agree that it can be overdone, but some of if is natural. Don't expect 3 Wade trophies, but expect her to do her thing, which is to compete, play smart, make lots of shots, and win. And that is what Maya did. Don't put an unfair burden on Kaleena, but anyone who gets mentioned in the same context must be a great player. Let's watch and enjoy KML, the one and only.
well said...

UConn fans were hungry for something to happen when Maya came to town but right now we just want KML to continue what Maya has "re-started"... Im sure she'll give 100% and hopefully all her mates do the same!

Reaction Score

It makes me laugh that you bring this up in the second post of the thread. The OP didn't say anything except he was excited to see KML, but you brought it up. This is the issue, we have people who don't want to put these expectations on her, but in bringing it up, begin the discussion on exactly that. Let's just have the season start already so she can show you exactly what she's going to bring to the table.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually, I've heard few people expressing anything like the expectation that Kaleena is Maya. Well, the only thing is their similar appearance. I do expect her to exceed Maya in a number of ways. I, also, hear people underestimating many of her skills.

I offer the following:
She will be quicker and faster than most people expect
She has no stop, some people are just this way and it isn't always a matter of conditioning but rather mental and physiological uniqueness
She will shoot lights out in many but not every game this year
She is a driven athlete and will steadily improve every game she plays at UConn, building on her strengths and learning from her few failures

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
He also said that BB "reminds him of KJ"!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
So, does BB have a little tattoo that needs to be covered with a bandaid? Shea can explain all this, if CD the Elder hasn't already.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
It makes me laugh that you bring this up in the second post of the thread. The OP didn't say anything except he was excited to see KML, but you brought it up. This is the issue, we have people who don't want to put these expectations on her, but in bringing it up, begin the discussion on exactly that. Let's just have the season start already so she can show you exactly what she's going to bring to the table.

Thanks Dawson...
I was confused at why Milford brought up the Maya/Kaleena comparison. That was not part of my post or on my mind at all. There will never be another Maya (or Jen, or Rebecca, or Sue, etc.). All of these kids are unique and special and I beleive comparisions will stop being made when we get to see her on the court a few times. She'll just be Kaleena.

I'm looking forward to seeing Stef (Geno says the "best center in the country" other than BG) because she has come so far, and seems to have a much higher ceiling that I ever imagined. Geno confirmed everything about the kid that I thought I knew from my "fan" vantage point: she's an outgoing, personable, happy kid who also has the makings of a great Husky on the court... what's not to love?

I am looking forward to seeing Kaleena because I have been reading about her for years and Geno's comments are absolutely compelling... can't wait to see her in a UConn uniform. Counting the days.....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually, I've heard few people expressing anything like the expectation that Kaleena is Maya. Well, the only thing is their similar appearance. I do expect her to exceed Maya in a number of ways. I, also, hear people underestimating many of her skills.

I offer the following:
She will be quicker and faster than most people expect
She has no stop, some people are just this way and it isn't always a matter of conditioning but rather mental and physiological uniqueness
She will shoot lights out in many but not every game this year
She is a driven athlete and will steadily improve every game she plays at UConn, building on her strengths and learning from her few failures
I'm not trying to prolong the Maya comparisons, but they are clearly out there. My point is that Kaleena and Maya are different. Each is great, but in somewhat different ways. Maya scored 3,036 points. Kaleena has 0 so far--but the poll in John A's chat suggest that people expect her to get to 2,200 or so. Amazing! Let's enjoy Kaleena and not put pressure on her. But when she does great things, as many of us expect, comparisons are inevitable.

I agree totally with Icebear's observations and would add three:

Kaleena is a smart basketball player, more than anyone would expect from a kid who is still 17 years old (as of today).

Kaleena is a cool customer and seemingly impervious to pressure. She wants the ball in her hands in important situations. And she'll make the shots more often than most.

Kaleena plays with a joy. It's not quite the attitude of Diana and different from Maya, but she always seems happy--and fans will love it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
With Kaleena and Stef this may be the happiest team in UCONN history.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With Kaleena and Stef this may be the happiest team in UCONN history.
I think Geno said that Stef was the happiest kid in America. Kaleena may be second.

And Kelly smiled! :)

Geno sounded like the happiest coach in America.

I'm hoping the fans will be very happy in April. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think Geno said that Stef was the happiest kid in America. Kaleena may be second.

And Kelly smiled! :)

Geno sounded like the happiest coach in America.

I'm hoping the fans will be very happy in April. :)

Absolutely true. If Kelly is getting carried away who knows what the possibilities are.

Reaction Score
By next season, all those happy people will make Kelly smile all the time:)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Geez, I hope they're not going to put :) faces on the uniforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom