I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell (?) I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed

But it's not. Tomorrow is another day.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
tomorrow indeed is another day. I have already bought tickets to Les Mis the movie!!!

Let's just take one day at a time. 9 minutes to SNY and UConn!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My wife has told me we are going on Christmas Day. My job to find out showtimes. Haven't seen any yet.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
My wife has told me we are going on Christmas Day. My job to find out showtimes. Haven't seen any yet.

Come to New York City - you can buy tickets in advance! We can meet up and have a drink!

{Edit} Actually, I am going on Boxing day.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My wife HATES Les Mis and says we will not be going to it. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
My wife HATES Les Mis and says we will not be going to it. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

This rendition of "I dream a dream" by Anne Hathaway made me weep - literally...This and the fact that this was shot with real time singing and not lip-synching to a pre-recorded track made this a must see for me. My sister and I love the show, read the book, etc, and we will not miss this.....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This rendition of "I dream a dream" by Anne Hathaway made me weep - literally...This and the fact that this was shot with real time singing and not lip-synching to a pre-recorded track made this a must see for me. My sister and I love the show, read the book, etc, and we will not miss this.....
personally I like Les Mis and the Hugo book has been a favorite ever since I read it in English in high school and then in French in college. It is one of the greatest moral tales ever told. Illustrations from it have been used in posing numerous ethical questions for decades.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Personally, Les Mis is a favorite of mine and has been ever since I read Hugo's Les Miserables first in English in high school and then in French in college. It is one of the greatest morality tales of all times and has been the source of numerous ethical questions and lessons for decades. I can not think of a movie version that I haven't enjoyed.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Personally, Les Mis is a favorite of mine and has been ever since I read Hugo's Les Miserables first in English in high school and then in French in college. It is one of the greatest morality tales of all times and has been the source of numerous ethical questions and lessons for decades. I can not think of a movie version that I haven't enjoyed.

Come on. I’m completely open minded regarding art, … but let’s be honest. Thus far, neither these well-intended cinematic attempts, nor Hugo’s stab at it French, can even compare to his original Classics Illustrated comic.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Come on. I’m completely open minded regarding art, … but let’s be honest. Thus far, neither these well-intended cinematic attempts, nor Hugo’s stab at it French, can even compare to his original Classics Illustrated comic.
No. Of the great classic novels, which one has made a flawless trip to the screen?
Don't forget, movies are generally 2 hours long on average. Most of the books we are talking about have hours and hours of material. Artistic License steps in to trim the screenplay to make the length of the movie "reasonable" in these hurried times.

Reaction Score
Les Mis has one of the most wretched second acts ever. Basically, it goes downhill as soon as Eponine dies!

Reaction Score

Now we know why you are called "arty"... ;)

Reaction Score
French is such a beautiful language. L'etat c'est Moe (All the world's a stooge). And as my wife says about me, "Monage a trois" (I am 3 years old).

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
No. Of the great classic novels, which one has made a flawless trip to the screen?
Don't forget, movies are generally 2 hours long on average. Most of the books we are talking about have hours and hours of material. Artistic License steps in to trim the screenplay to make the length of the movie "reasonable" in these hurried times.

No? I’m sorry we disagree Rady, but perhaps it was Victor himself who best famously explained this critical problem with cinema, to Stan Lee as: “Noblesse oblige”*
*(“Noble dialogue requires balloons”)
hugo.jpg

;)

Reaction Score
While I am a fan of Hugo's works, in this case I feel the musical is more effective in the intent of exposing the distortion of the intended synchronicity between the prime principles of Law and Grace in our lives. As effective as words are, add music and we can circumvent our conscious shield of rationalizations, therefore reaching directly through to the subconscious and touching our hearts with a message personifying the crux of our existence

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While I am a fan of Hugo's works, in this case I feel the musical is more effective in the intent of exposing the distortion of an intended synchronicity between the prime principles of Law and Grace in our lives. As effective as words are, add music and we can circumvent our conscious shields of rationalizations reaching directly through to the subconscious touching our hearts with a message personifying the crux of our existence
Yea, what he/she said. :cool:

Reaction Score
While I am a fan of Hugo's works, in this case I feel the musical is more effective in the intent of exposing the distortion of the intended synchronicity between the prime principles of Law and Grace in our lives. As effective as words are, add music and we can circumvent our conscious shield of rationalizations, therefore reaching directly through to the subconscious and touching our hearts with a message personifying the crux of our existence

A good working description of hypnosis...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom