I Don't Want to Shaka | The Boneyard

I Don't Want to Shaka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
(sorry about the title to the thread, apparently you cannot edit the title)

I am not a big fan of Shaka. I think his success maybe more a function of the university and luck than his coaching talent. If you look at the two previous coaches at VCU they all had great success and were heralded as the next big thing. They then landed big time coaching gigs only to fail or have modest success.

Jeff Capell II had a 79–41 record at VCU and won the league title once and placed 2nd twice in four years. He parlayed that success to a gig at Oklahoma were he was fired after 4 years.

His successor Anthony Grant has a similar story. He won the CAA three years out of three years. That catapulted him to a job at Alabama where he has had modest success.

Shaka has never even won the CAA with VCU something his predecessors were able to do. Anthony Grant won it 3 years out of 3 years. Yes, Shaka had a great tournament run. Was that a fluke? How come he can't win the league title? Is there something about VCU that allows it to attract better talent than other CAA schools that can make a mediocre coach look great?

I think UCONN should try to go big. Try to get someone like Sean Miller. A proven success at a big time school. If you can't get Miller try for Buzz Williams, Mark Few, or Brad Stevens. If you can't get a big name then go with Ollie.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I am not a big fan of Shaka. I think his success maybe more a function of the university and luck than his coaching talent. If you look at the two previous coaches at VCU they all had great success and were heralded as the next big thing. They then landed big time coaching gigs only to fail or have modest success.

Like that guy from Northeastern who always overachieved in the big dance. What was his name?

Reaction Score

Jeff Capell II had a 79–41 record at VCU and won the league title once and placed 2nd twice in four years. He parlayed that success to a gig at Oklahoma were he was fired after 4 years.

His successor Anthony Grant has a similar story. He won the CAA three years out of three years. That catapulted him to a job at Alabama where he has had modest success.

Shaka has never even whttp://the-boneyard.com/threads/i-dont-want-to-shaka.23206/on the CAA with VCU something his predecessors were able to do. Anthony Grant won it 3 years out of 3 years. Yes, Shaka had a great tournament run. Was that a fluke? How come he can't win the league title? Is there something about VCU that allows it to attract better talent than other CAA schools that can make a mediocre coach look great?

I think UCONN should try to go big. Try to get someone like Sean Miller. A proven success at a big time school. If you can't get Miller try for Buzz Williams, Mark Few, or Brad Stevens. If you can't get a big name then go with Ollie.
Sometimes I wonder if you guys have any clue of what goes on outside Storrs Connecticut. Anthony Grant has rebuilt Alabama from a program that was in turmoil to an NCAA participant in 3 years. The program had 3 straight losing seasons in the SEC before he arrived. He won the SEC West in his 2nd season and won 25 games. Last season got the Tide to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2006. You know when he arrived in Alabama, the previous head coach had resigned in mid-season and there were all kinds of player squabbles going on, so he had a bit of a mess to clean up on top of inheriting a pretty weak program.

Look I don't have a problem with trying to land a Miller or even Buzz Williams, but you can't compare what Shaka or Grant have done with what Ollie has done. They win and its not even a competition...

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if you guys have any clue of what goes on outside Storrs Connecticut. Anthony Grant has rebuilt Alabama from a program that was in turmoil to an NCAA participant in 3 years. The program had 3 straight losing seasons in the SEC before he arrived. He won the SEC West in his 2nd season and won 25 games. Last season got the Tide to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2006. You know when he arrived in Alabama, the previous head coach had resigned in mid-season and there were all kinds of player squabbles going on, so he had a bit of a mess to clean up on top of inheriting a pretty weak program.

Look I don't have a problem with trying to land a Miller or even Buzz Williams, but you can't compare what Shaka or Grant have done with what Ollie has done. They win and its not even a competition...

Who cares if Ollie has coached a game? Imho Ollie can recruit with any of these coaches today if not be the best guy. Recruiting is 75% of the battle. Uconn will have great assistants to help KO, and how someone could play in the NBA for 12 years and with Calhoun for 4 and not be considered experienced? He has all the ingredients and bonafides to be Uconns next coach and its a no-brainer. I mean he's been able to recruit two 6-10 players with skill potentially the next Branden Roy in Omar Calhoun and a top not New York PG in Samuels while the program has been punched in the jib pretty hard and the unknown of JC even coaching one more game. Right now KO has saved this school from short term demise and we all know that. He deserves BY FAR to coach. I'd like to hear anyone who has more experience with basketball than Ray Allen refute Rays comments.

caw

Reaction Score

Shaka has never even won the CAA with VCU something his predecessors were able to do. Anthony Grant won it 3 years out of 3 years. Yes, Shaka had a great tournament run. Was that a fluke? How come he can't win the league title? Is there something about VCU that allows it to attract better talent than other CAA schools that can make a mediocre coach look great?

I think you are underestimating the job Grant is doing at Alabama.

Before he arrived they went:

05-06: 18-13
06-07: 20-12
07-08: 17-16
08-09: 18-14

Since he arrived they have gone:
09-10: 17-15
10-11: 25-12
11-12: 21-12

This is a big year for him, similar to how this is a big year for Shaka Smart at VCU. Now both have all their own players. If he can take Alabama on a decent run, I'd want him ahead of Smart, but wouldn't mind Smart either. I'm not sure I would take either over Ollie right now though (next year...)

Reaction Score

A lot of what you said about Smart, you can say about Stephens. And I think I would rather have Smart than Stephens.

Reaction Score
Who cares if Ollie has coached a game? Imho Ollie can recruit with any of these coaches today if not be the best guy. Recruiting is 75% of the battle. Uconn will have great assistants to help KO, and how someone could play in the NBA for 12 years and with Calhoun for 4 and not be considered experienced? He has all the ingredients and bonafides to be Uconns next coach and its a no-brainer. I mean he's been able to recruit two 6-10 players with skill potentially the next Branden Roy in Omar Calhoun and a top not New York PG in Samuels while the program has been punched in the jib pretty hard and the unknown of JC even coaching one more game. Right now KO has saved this school from short term demise and we all know that. He deserves BY FAR to coach. I'd like to hear anyone who has more experience with basketball than Ray Allen refute Rays comments.
Call me when Omar Calhoun actually does something...We've had lots of "potentially the nexts" but most of the best palyers are actually not considered that.

Reaction Score

There is no way we are getting Few/Miller and probably not Williams/Stevens. It should be Shaka or Ollie, and either way we will be in good shape.

H

Husk-E

People may say that he's way overrated, but i think otherwise. There are reasons why most people like him, and that's because he's a great coach. You should have mentioned all the "overrated" coaches that went on to have great careers. I believe someone by the name of Jim Calhoun might have fallen into that category...

Reaction Score
I think you are underestimating the job Grant is doing at Alabama.

Before he arrived they went:

05-06: 18-13
06-07: 20-12
07-08: 17-16
08-09: 18-14

Since he arrived they have gone:
09-10: 17-15
10-11: 25-12
11-12: 21-12

This is a big year for him, similar to how this is a big year for Shaka Smart at VCU. Now both have all their own players. If he can take Alabama on a decent run, I'd want him ahead of Smart, but wouldn't mind Smart either. I'm not sure I would take either over Ollie right now though (next year...)

You make some good points. I don't think I am underestimating too much what Grant has done. In 06-07 they went 20-12 virtually the same record as last year. I don' think the phrase "modest success" is underestimating.

I guess my major point is I don't think Shaka Smart should not be our #1 choice. It seems that allot of people think hiring Shaka is a no-brainer. I disagree. Hiring Sean Miller (if we can get him) is a no-brainer. I can't think of another coach that would be such an easy decision.

Reaction Score
Like that guy from Northeastern who always overachieved in the big dance. What was his name?

Your right some young coaches go on to have great success. But for ever Jim Calhoun there are about 50 Billy Gillispies and Jeff Capel III's. I am just nervous because VCU has a history of producing overrated coaches. It is tough to figure out who is going to be a flop or the next Jim Calhoun.

I don't see too many parallels between Shaka and Calhoun. Jim Calhoun had a bigger sample size when Uconn hired him. He was the coach for 14 years at Northeastern. So you knew his success at the school was not a fluke. Shaka has been there for only 3 years and is still coaching some of his predecessors players. Jim Calhoun was able to win his conference many times. Shaka hasn't won it once. Even though Grant won it 3 years in a row. I think that fact alone should cause people to pause.

Shaka maybe the next Jim Calhoun but I don't think his hiring is a no-brainer decision.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
no list:
-stat guy(brad)
-press/energy guy in not big boy(top4) league(shaka)
-humpty dumpty(buzz)

yes list:
1) KO
2) Donovan
3) Miller

Reaction Score

I did not know about Alabama's troubles. Given that info I would think Grant should be rated higher than Shaka as potential coaches. My main point is I don't think Shaka should be our first choice.

Reaction Score
no list:
-stat guy(brad)
-humpty dumpty(buzz)

yes list:
1) KO
2) Donovan
3) Miller

Is your #2 Donovan...as in Billy Donovan? They guy who turned down like $5MM a year from the Magic?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Is your #2 Donovan...as in Billy Donovan? They guy who turned down like $5MM a year from the Magic?

yup and miller #3 at AZ also has a fat contract. my point is you can't get those 2 so KO is the smart buy $ wise and also family/jc legacy wise. i have 100% faith in KO/KH for the next 25 years. I have had this stance for over a year and i won't drop it.

Reaction Score
no list:
-stat guy(brad)
-humpty dumpty(buzz)

yes list:
1) KO
2) Donovan
3) Miller

Do you realize that, "press/energy guy in not big boy league", perfectly describes Jim Calhoun at Northeastern? Hiring THAT guy worked out pretty well! And what proof do you have that Brad Stevens is strictly a stat guy or that being a stat guy is what got him to BACK-TO-BACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES?

I love how some people (not necessarily you, Dan) ASSume Shaka Smart's and Brad Stevens' ACTUAL SUCCESS was a fluke and that Kevin Ollie will be a great coach. Some of you ignore ACTUAL DATA and insist we should pin the future of the program on hope and ASSumptions. Even if you are right, and you may be, some of you are being totally illogical and irrational.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Do you realize that, "press/energy guy in not big boy league", perfectly describes Jim Calhoun at Northeastern? Hiring THAT guy worked out pretty well! And what proof do you have that Brad Stevens is strictly a stat guy or that being a stat guy is what got him to BACK-TO-BACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES?

I love how some people (not necessarily you, Dan) ASSume Shaka Smart's and Brad Stevens' ACTUAL SUCCESS was a fluke and that Kevin Ollie will be a great coach. Some of you ignore ACTUAL DATA and insist we should pin the future of the program on hope and ASSumptions. Even if you are right, and you may be, some of you are being totally illogical and irrational.

we dont need a JC now. we have a built top 8 all time powerhouse program. back then we had not much and JC built us. its a different time. in order for us to keep momentum 1 of 2 things need to happen.
1) you go in family or who JC wants and keep that JC culture for ever. This is the KO/KH pick.
2) you make a huge splash coach wise who is going to win and recruit all day. the fanbase will love it and fun times ahead but the family aspect will die off over time and UConn will become just like every other school program wise.

so far ihave seen enought family/jc stuff where #1 is the answer. JC wants to be around JT style or more which i am 100% fine with and i think its a great thing. he couldn't do that type of thing if they go for a big splash. the new facility has a extra locker room for alums to use, thats the family type stuff u have to look for.

the 3 i said no 2 are great coaches. but each of them has ?'s that make them not huge splashes. we need either a huge splash or a family guy. KO/KH is it.

-buzz has had several issues the past few years with behavior. no thanks
-shaka and brad may be great coaches but neither fits uconn. we recruit lenght for the pros etc....shaka is a young JC, let him go build a program somewhere into a heavyweight. were already built, we dont need that type of 10 year stretch. i don't see it in brad. maybe its just me but hes not the type of guy i want in the war room.

Reaction Score

Uconn bball as we know it was built by JC. By hiring KO you are pinning the future on hope and the JC family, the program that he built. KO knows how Uconn was built, much better than any of us and much, much better than any of the aforementioned candidates.

If JC supports him, that's all that should matter.

If KO fails, the Uconn brand will not be so old that they can't get another coach.

caw

Reaction Score
You make some good points. I don't think I am underestimating too much what Grant has done. In 06-07 they went 20-12 virtually the same record as last year. I don' think the phrase "modest success" is underestimating.

I guess my major point is I don't think Shaka Smart should not be our #1 choice. It seems that allot of people think hiring Shaka is a no-brainer. I disagree. Hiring Sean Miller (if we can get him) is a no-brainer. I can't think of another coach that would be such an easy decision.

Fair enough, though I'm much more impressed with what Grant has done than what his predecessor did at VCU and after VCU.

I don't disagree on Smart, I think he would be a fine hire, but he's not #1 on my list (not that I have a say).

If for some reason Ollie isn't the choice made, I'd put Grant on a "yes" list, especially if he has a good year this year (which he should). He's only 46, he has 10 years as an assistant at Florida, was first in the conference all three years at VCU and has Alabama moving in the right direction. If he has a run in the NCAAT this year, that just solidifies his pedigree, IMO. I also think he is more realistic than Donovan or Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom