I don't want Jalen to be playing like a PG | The Boneyard

I don't want Jalen to be playing like a PG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I want him to play like an attack dog. Most of his turnovers in the atrocious first half came off his attempts to pass the ball. He dominated the second half when he stopped trying to be a passing guard and started playing like a scorer. When he is determined to score he not only cuts down on the turnovers but also speeds up the tempo for the offense which bodes well for the offense overall.

Reaction Score
Key is don't give up the dribble and attack I agree. He seems to be able to get what he wants most of the time and he has a great one foot floater he can use more often. Tremendous 2nd half unfortunately the 1st half was the extreme opposite. Key is you saw what's there for the young man!

Reaction Score
The other benefit from Jalen establishing himself as a bona fide scorer is that he will reach star recognition giving him more calls on his drives. Its a fact of life in college ball, star players get more favorable calls than average players do. Juwan Evans went to the line 17 times today and got many favorable calls on his way to the rim. Kemba in '11 and Bazz in '14 were stars because they were score first guards who lived off the charity stripe. Not saying that he will produce in the same way those two guys did in their last years at UConn but Jalen should look to play his game with a similar mindset as he continues his journey to stardom.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He's a good passer when it's a quick decision on a cut or a drive and kick. The telegraphed lazy passes were just ugly though.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I really hope this team starts leaning on Jalen as a leader. He has the heart and talent to lead this team very far. There's going to be lumps but it's going to be worth it in the long run. Hopefully Ollie can mentor him to be a calmer leader like Kemba and Shabazz. Once he learns how to the sky will be the limit.

Reaction Score
He's a good passer when it's a quick decision on a cut or a drive and kick. The telegraphed lazy passes were just ugly though.

Part of the reason for the awful turnovers is the set (or lack thereof) we tried to run in the first half. Lots of high screens and trying to get guys jogging on curls and Adams trying to be a facilitator. In the 2nd half he essentially just went one-on-one and abandoned the godawful stuff we ran in the 1st half.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Once alterique comes back he'll be able to play off the ball. A lot of those turnovers came from no one else coming to help him. No one else wanted the ball

Reaction Score
To me Jalen's future is a point guard. Sure AG will relieve and probably handle most duties there but as far as the NBA and the next 1-2 years he has the size, speed and strength to be an effective PG.

The NBA and college ranks are flooded with 2Gs many with equal talent and potential. He came in as a combo guard that was expected to handle the point duties with Rodney playing the 2G. AG is a gift to us, but I see Jalen getting better and better in his execution of PG duties and skills. Last night was apparent that he needs to get better with his handle and sharing the bball (passing) in terms of point guard. Last night's first half was good for us because we are probably guaranteed to get another year out of him.

Lastly he should benefit from Coach Ollie in improving his skills, decision making and development. If he gets a consistent jumper with longer range he will be an AA candidate next year.

Reaction Score
Jalen could be a good point guard if he worked on his handle. Honestly, it is really bad. He dribbles too high, isn't careful with the ball and he carries on every play. He literally brings his hand all the way over to the other side on his crossover..I am surprised he gets away with it so much. When he is attacking, he can protect the ball by using his body, creativeness, and athleticism but when he is simply trying to set up the offense, or get the team into a set, he is very awkward with the ball. Just attack, Jalen.

Reaction Score
I want him to play like an attack dog. Most of his turnovers in the atrocious first half came off his attempts to pass the ball. He dominated the second half when he stopped trying to be a passing guard and started playing like a scorer. When he is determined to score he not only cuts down on the turnovers but also speeds up the tempo for the offense which bodes well for the offense overall.
I agree. Nice to see him be a scorer. Showed a lot offensively in the 2nd half. Took the ball to the basket and finished, hit a few mid range shots and 3 pointers.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
...He dribbles too high, isn't careful with the ball and he carries on every play. He literally brings his hand all the way over to the other side on his crossover.

When Magic wasn't being pressured, he carried/turned over the ball on every single bounce, and dribbled it chest high.
It used to infuriate me, but I seem to recall that it worked out pretty well for him.

Reaction Score
To me Jalen's future is a point guard. Sure AG will relieve and probably handle most duties there but as far as the NBA and the next 1-2 years he has the size, speed and strength to be an effective PG.

The NBA and college ranks are flooded with 2Gs many with equal talent and potential. He came in as a combo guard that was expected to handle the point duties with Rodney playing the 2G. AG is a gift to us, but I see Jalen getting better and better in his execution of PG duties and skills. Last night was apparent that he needs to get better with his handle and sharing the bball (passing) in terms of point guard. Last night's first half was good for us because we are probably guaranteed to get another year out of him.

Lastly he should benefit from Coach Ollie in improving his skills, decision making and development. If he gets a consistent jumper with longer range he will be an AA candidate next year.

Reaction Score
Not many if any 6-2 2s in league. He'll want to play and get better as a PG. His thing is he has to score, especially with Larrier out. RP is inconsistent, VG will be too as a replacement and the 4-5s are terrible on the offensive end, borderline useless. 12 points out of 90 last night.

Between SE. AB, KF and JD not one has had a double figure points game in 1st 4. AB is averaging 5.5, with 3 games against lower competition.

Reaction Score
He doesn't have a choice but to be primary ball-handler. Purvis doesn't have the handle, Vital doesn't have the skills, Vance doesn't have either. That's the rest of our back court right now.

Reaction Score
I think he can be a scoring point guard at this level and the next if he makes it there. He still ended up with 6 assists yesterday (I know... the turnovers... but let's just focus on how he played later when he found his rhyhthm). If he can shoot from deep like he did the second half yesterday, or anywhere close, he has a future in the league.

Scoring opens up other plays for EASY passes, rather than the ridiculous bounces he was trying yesterday the first 7 minutes.

Reaction Score
Once alterique comes back he'll be able to play off the ball. A lot of those turnovers came from no one else coming to help him. No one else wanted the ball

I don't want Jalen off the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog