I don't understand why this isn't the solution | The Boneyard

I don't understand why this isn't the solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seems to me that there is a simple solution for the BE and the other BCS conferences. UConn and Rutgers to ACC, WVU to SEC, rest of BE to Big 12. Makes sense for ESPN as well as there is one less conference.

It seems like the hangup is the potential of 16 team conferences as the SEC and Big 10 will have the pick of the litter from the ACC to go to 16. If the SEC actively pursued Florida State, Clemson, NC State, or VT, they would go. If the Big 10 actively pursued Pitt, Syracuse, Maryland, and others would probably go. I would think the ACC wants WVU to go to the SEC as it would mean one less spot for a current ACC school. I think the SEC wants a current ACC school to got to 14 over WVU.

Thus, if there are 16 team conferences, the SEC and Big 10 have 7 spots to fill. Probably 3 to 5 teams come from the ACC. ACC schools will have interesting decisions to make over the next few years as they may have to decide to go with a stronger conference or potentially be left in a restructured conference.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that there is a simple solution for the BE and the other BCS conferences. UConn and Rutgers to ACC, WVU to SEC, rest of BE to Big 12. Makes sense for ESPN as well as there is one less conference.

It seems like the hangup is the potential of 16 team conferences as the SEC and Big 10 will have the pick of the litter from the ACC to go to 16. If the SEC actively pursued Florida State, Clemson, NC State, or VT, they would go. If the Big 10 actively pursued Pitt, Syracuse, Maryland, and others would probably go. I would think the ACC wants WVU to go to the SEC as it would mean one less spot for a current ACC school. I think the SEC wants a current ACC school to got to 14 over WVU.

Thus, if there are 16 team conferences, the SEC and Big 10 have 7 spots to fill. Probably 3 to 5 teams come from the ACC. ACC schools will have interesting decisions to make over the next few years as they may have to decide to go with a stronger conference or potentially be left in a restructured conference.

That's nice. But how is that a "simple solution" if neither UConn nor the Big East conference has the power to implement it. It would be a simple solution to my self-esteem issues to sleep with Jessica Alba tonight. Where does that get me?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The poor play on the field must be getting to BL. Each of the conferences is in competition for the last few dollars available. It seems silly since they already make ton of it. The arms race in facilities and coaches salaries leaves all but a few schools in the red. They see reducing expenses as a ticket to more losses on the field, a loss of prestige, fewer student applications and of course,fewer donations. It's not in their DNA to share.

from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I think the ACC went to 14 to offset school losses when SEC expands. Seems like grabbing UConn and Rutgers and WVU to SEC is positive for ACC. If the BE football schools all left, then they could start play next year in their new conferences. If SEC grabs an ACC for next year, ACC could be stuck at 11 schools for next two seasons, which means no football championship for 2 years. Immediate breakup of BE football solves a lot of problems as ACC, SEC, and Big 12 could all expand next year.

Reaction Score
the ACC went to 14 b/c it allowed them to increase their ESPN contract. if they didnt' expand they were stuck in a way undermarket value contract for the next 10 years.

your proposal makes a lot of sense from a macro economic perspective, but you ahve to keep in mind that each conference is it's own entity and will do what's in it's best interests. if the NCAA were to sit down today and arrange schools into conferences it might look like that, but it can't. the SEC doesn't want WVU at all b/c it will cost them money. WVU doesn't bring in enough TV money to maintain payouts. worse yet, theyre good. why would the SEC want to add a team what could cost them wins, and money? the ideal expansion candidate is one that will increase your incremental revenues, and it a patsy so you can pick up wins against them. Cuse is a great expansion candidate (if you're under the belief they'll help deliver NYC, which ACC obviously is) b/c they have cache, a name, and nothing on the field to back up either.

Reaction Score
There are many easy solutions if you just ignore the 500 pound gorilla in the room.

NOTRE DAME.

Reaction Score
What we all need to hope for is that the SEC has their eyes on 16 rather than 14. If they can get Missouri to make the switch things are set up nicely to add two eastern teams to offest the two western teams (A&M and Missouri). The idea of moving either Auburn or Alabama to the eastern division is floated around if Missouri is added, but I think leaving the divisions in place and adding 2 eastern teams would be preferred by many. Whether those eastern teams are 2 ACC teams or WVU and 1 ACC team is a huge question, but either way it could be devistating to the BE, but potentially have positive implications for UConn.

If it is 2 ACC teams then the ACC has to decide whether to be happy with Pitt & 'Cuse or take UConn and Rutgers to go back to 14. There may be some pressure to just sit back at 12, but I doubt the watered down ACC could turn its back on the tri-state market should the lose two prominant football teams to the SEC.

If the SEC were to take WVU and 1 ACC team, Rutgers and UConn would be tripping over themselves to be #14 in the ACC. That is where UConn's well rounded athletic program would come into play as having a national presence in men's and women's hoops, baseball, mens's and women's soccer, field hockey ect...

Reaction Score
Actually, UCONNRock, I think something very much like that will be the ultimate solution. Just is going to take a while to get there. Maybe a year. Maybe 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom