I don't think McCombs is getting his due | The Boneyard

I don't think McCombs is getting his due

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
through 8 games he's averaged over 100 yards/game and over 4 yards/carry. i was worried how he would hold up through the season but he's really been solid, particularly considering how nonthreatening our passing game is. he seems to run with a lot more patience in waiting for holes to open compared to earlier in the season. he'll only get stronger, and i think he will get a lot better when his vision for finding the best hole improves. he also had a couple of nice pass blocks yesterday. obviously it's early in his career to judge, but he's having as good a season as we could have hoped, and i'm not sure that Todman or Brown would have done any better in this situation

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i agree. i think he could have a monster year next year if our qb situation becomes/improves to just a average d1 qb. just the threat of some 1 throwing downfield a couple times a game would help open it up for him. i think this year of expierence, a 2nd offseason in the weight room/film room and a qb improvement of any kind and McCombs can become a big time player.

Reaction Score
McCombs been one of the bright spots for this team... But, I wouldn't expect him to have a monster year next year... There's gonna be more changes coming... changes that could include involving bigger backs that can do the same thing he does, which will ultimately diminish his production a bit... It's inevitable guys... You need a back that can consistently pass protect.. The kid tries but he's so freakin small..

Reaction Score
There's nothing like keeping your best offensive player in the game on your last drive under 2 minutes to go down by more than 3 TD's.

Kid has been great if we're talking about running the ball. Pass blocking......not so much.

Reaction Score
I've been saying since about week 3 that this kid is a very good football player. He makes solid plays and I think he's gotten better and more patient as a runner as the year has gone on. He doesn't pass block well, but I think that is partly isze and partly that you can only ask so much from a 170 pound back. I suspect his assignment on pass blocking is something along the lines of "try to get in the way". I have no idea if he can carry another 10-15 pounds wuithout losing some things, but I would like to hope he will.

Reaction Score
He is the only player that we can honestly say has improved at all over the course of the season.

Reaction Score
He is the only player that we can honestly say has improved at all over the course of the season.
Agree the reps he has gotten have been immensely great for him going forward. He is never going to be a good pass blocker I dont think, and the fact that for a small, light back he doesn't have "home run" speed concerns me, but as a runner he is light years ahead from where he was in earlier in the year.

Reaction Score
He is reasonably likely to lead the Big East in rushing yards come season's end. There are a lot of things in the passing game he needs to do better, and a lot of things in the running game that it would be nice if he did better, but we have to have more productive things to worry about, don't we.

Reaction Score
He is reasonably likely to lead the Big East in rushing yards come season's end. There are a lot of things in the passing game he needs to do better, and a lot of things in the running game that it would be nice if he did better, but we have to have more productive things to worry about, don't we.
Are you trying to dictate what can and can not be discussed again? If something doesn't interest you, or you think it isn't worthwhile conversation, is it so hard to not respond to it?

Reaction Score
Are you trying to dictate what can and can not be discussed again? If something doesn't interest you, or you think it isn't worthwhile conversation, is it so hard to not respond to it?

Grow the duck* up. Seriously -- you want to interpret every post I make as telling people what to think as opposed to sharing my opinion? Get a friggin life.

Reaction Score
Grow the duck* up. Seriously -- you want to interpret every post I make as telling people what to think as opposed to sharing my opinion? Get a friggin life.
Well sharing opinions is all anyone was doing in this thread about McCombs, and I wouldn't know how the to interpret your previous post when you suggest "we have other things to worry about".

Reaction Score
How about my opinion is that we stink and therefore have greater concerns than criticizing the guy who is going to lead the conference in rushing. Does that make you feel better?

As I've said scores of times, everyone (well, except trolls) should be free to say what they want. Do I have to say that on every post I make for you to accept that is my opinion? If I knew how I would make it an avatar.

Reaction Score
through 8 games he's averaged over 100 yards/game and over 4 yards/carry. i was worried how he would hold up through the season but he's really been solid, particularly considering how nonthreatening our passing game is. he seems to run with a lot more patience in waiting for holes to open compared to earlier in the season. he'll only get stronger, and i think he will get a lot better when his vision for finding the best hole improves. he also had a couple of nice pass blocks yesterday. obviously it's early in his career to judge, but he's having as good a season as we could have hoped, and i'm not sure that Todman or Brown would have done any better in this situation

Reaction Score
Imagine if we had a half decent passing attack. McCombs would have more yards running against a defense that must honor the pass.

Reaction Score
McCombs has been a pleasant surprise this season and deserves the props. Just needs to hit the weight room some more in the offseason. Still goes down too easy at the point of contact. But he'll only keep getting better.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I can see McCombs playing at 180 lbs. or so next year which will only help him. I do think another back needs to step up next year so he doesn't have to take all the pounding he has this season

Reaction Score
He really doesn't take big hits when running the ball. He has a knack for sliding his body away from big hits. The biggest hits I've seen take have come on plays where he was the intended receiver and the pass was incomplete. He's gotten cleaned on a couple of those. Against Pitt he really hit the hole quickly and didn't dance in the backfield. He has improved greatly.

Reaction Score
Not sure why I don't get enthused enough about his improvement, it has been there. Guess its that at his size need super powers re quickness, elusiveness and speed; just don't see it. He gets a lot of carries so getting 100 yards a game is no big deal. Team should average 175 ypg on the ground if its mostly him then 1200 or more yards will be there. Guess would like to see what some of other backs have.

Good that he is hitting holes better, still goes down and not elusive enough but I've got better things to do like worry about what am I missing re JMc that he still is the starter, got to go watch the Pitt game again to see what I'm missing. Maybe its the presence in the huddle, got to be something. I'll also go back to the WV game, but only the 1st 35 minutes.

Reaction Score
Imagine if we had a half decent passing attack. McCombs would have more yards running against a defense that must honor the pass.

If we just had an average passing game we would be 6-2 or 7-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom