I did not want to jinx anything, or seem pessimistic, so now I can ask... when did we last lose 3 in a row??? | The Boneyard

I did not want to jinx anything, or seem pessimistic, so now I can ask... when did we last lose 3 in a row???

Reaction Score
30 years before we lost consecutive games... and it took a horrible conglomeration of injuries for that to happen. Now that this is not going to occur, thank god, , does anyone know when we last lost THREE games in a row?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how to find out what school now has the highest number of "haven't lost 2 in a row" streak?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I thought I heard the new leader is Gonzaga at 204 games, but I could be misremembering.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Math has never been my strong suit, so which number is correct, 204 or 85? Is there a caveat in ESPN's equation that the losses have to be in the same season?

Reaction Score
The last time Stanford lost two games in a row, they won a national championship that season. So, does this stat about a team really matter?

Reaction Score
Not totally sure and understand that this was not your question, but believe one year we lost to Notre Dame 3 consecutive times prior to beating them in the NCAA tournament. One of the best coaching jobs of Geno's lengthy career in terms of both pregame preparation and in game adjustments. Another example that losing in season games isn't always a predictor of NCAA outcome.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Not totally sure and understand that this was not your question, but believe one year we lost to Notre Dame 3 consecutive times prior to beating them in the NCAA tournament. One of the best coaching jobs of Geno's lengthy career in terms of both pregame preparation and in game adjustments. Another example that losing in season games isn't always a predictor of NCAA outcome.
That was three consecutive times we played ND, NOT three consecutive game losses in a row, big difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Math has never been my strong suit, so which number is correct, 204 or 85? Is there a caveat in ESPN's equation that the losses have to be in the same season?

It's a trick - in the ESPN's post, they speak of losing back-to-back games "in the same season". Carl Adamec then responds by talking about how Gonzaga lost their final game of one season, then their season-opener of the succeeding season, as the streak-breaker, but I don't think it's the same thing.

I guess it depends on what matters most: losing back-to-back games in the same scheduled season, or losing back-to-back games regardless of which seasons they fall in. Seems to me, if we're going to count total GAMES throughout the streak - which fall across multiple seasons - and not how many SEASONS are played without back-to-back losses within them (example: Gonzaga now has the longest active streak at 204 games 8 seasons) - then we should be able to count back-to-back games lost that were scheduled period, even if they fall across multiple seasons.....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The last time Stanford lost two games in a row, they won a national championship that season. So, does this stat about a team really matter?
Do most long term stats really matter? UConn’s no back to back losses streak was amazing, but I’m not sure “it mattered.”

Reaction Score
Do most long term stats really matter? UConn’s no back to back losses streak was amazing, but I’m not sure “it mattered.”
Does it matter in the scheme of trying to win a national championship? No, not at all. The only streak that matters in that sense is winning six (or however many) NCAA tournament games in a row. What it says about your program is you demonstrated 30 years of sustained excellence that transcends sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does it matter in the scheme of trying to win a national championship? No, not at all. The only streak that matters in that sense is winning six (or however many) NCAA tournament games in a row. What it says about your program is you demonstrated 30 years of sustained excellence that transcends sports.
Agree.

(Although, as Geno points out, it’s also an indicator that you’re smart enough not to schedule a difficult game for the first game of the season.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom