I cant get excited for these AAC games anymore | The Boneyard

I cant get excited for these AAC games anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love Uconn basketball dont get me wrong, but there has been a serious drop off of interest ever since we have moved to the AAC. I know we dont have much control to the conference which we are in right now but it makes me nervous if Uconn has to be in the AAC beyond the next few years.

Curious as to what others think...

Reaction Score
I agree ... you need to root for the Blue.

Seriously, on the Macro level, there is NOTHING that ESPN has on every Monday that is as interesting as the BE Big Monday used to be. WE - UConn - should be part of that answer. I'd say someone in Bristol should be waking up to the fact that the Corridor from Boston to DC feels like the OP.

Reaction Score
I still want UConn to win just as badly, but I agree that the matchups lose a lot of sizzle. It's hard to get up for a "big game" against SMU, compared to Cuse, Pitt, Georgetown, et al. It's also frustrating that we're not even a top tier team in the conference (record-wise). So I get where you are coming from.

But UConn is UConn, I enjoy watching them play regardless, and want them to win as badly as ever.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm trying - i've attended, watched or listened to every game this season.

It's tough to really get into sometimes.

I've been impressed with the attendance based on the lack of juice for the opponents some games.

Reaction Score
think scheduling a good OOC schedule is crucial and they have been doing that. But they need to get some games with the old BE rivals like Cuse, Gtown, Nova, St Johns, Pitt ect

Reaction Score
It's not as good as the big east but some people act like it's a horrible conference. I have watched a lot of American games this year. It's not that bad. SMU, Tulsa, Cinn, Temple, Memphis, and UConn are soild teams that can compete with any team. UCF and Houston have good talent and are 2 years away from moving up to the next level. Tulane is decent. The only bad teams are USF and East Carolina but every conference has bad teams. I think in 2 to 3 years this conference will get the respect we deserve. As long as we play 4 good OOC teams every year and our conference has 6 good teams a year we will be fine.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The problem is that the Central Floridas in January have the same appeal that Central Connecticut used to have in November. We've inverted our schedule, with actual big games in the early season and some yawners when things should be getting going.
No matter what, it's a game, and I want UConn to win, but there's no point pretending it's the same as it used to be.

Reaction Score
I love Uconn basketball dont get me wrong, but there has been a serious drop off of interest ever since we have moved to the AAC. I know we dont have much control to the conference which we are in right now but it makes me nervous if Uconn has to be in the AAC beyond the next few years.

Curious as to what others think...
My thoughts are that at some point we need to stop creating new threads whining about our conference. Everyone knows it's much worse than our old conference, everyone knows that sucks, everyone knows it will really suck if we're stuck in it more than a few years. Everything in your post has been stated 1000 times by 1000 different people.

If your interest has dropped off, 9 months removed from winning the National Championship, just watch something else.

Reaction Score
think scheduling a good OOC schedule is crucial and they have been doing that. But they need to get some games with the old BE rivals like Cuse, Gtown, Nova, St Johns, Pitt ect
Pay closer attention, we've scheduled Nova and are working on a series with Cuse, besides being in the same OOC tournament as them next year

Reaction Score
Pay closer attention, we've scheduled Nova and are working on a series with Cuse, besides being in the same OOC tournament as them next year

We've scheduled Georgetown but I wasn't aware that Nova was finalized. Are you sure about that, I know it's in the works?

Reaction Score
The problem is that the Central Floridas in January have the same appeal that Central Connecticut used to have in November. We've inverted our schedule, with actual big games in the early season and some yawners when things should be getting going.
No matter what, it's a game, and I want UConn to win, but there's no point pretending it's the same as it used to be.
A trip to Florida in January is more appealing than a trip to New Britain anytime.

Reaction Score
Agreed, its just unbearable at this point, I'm getting more tired of reading post after post, thread after thread of people complaining about the conference than the conference itself. I opened up the Kuran Iverson to URI thread and you got dudes in there complaining about the conference, how in the hell does that even get shoehorned in there? The board has damn near reached jumped the shark levels at this point.

My thoughts are that at some point we need to stop creating new threads whining about our conference. Everyone knows it's much worse than our old conference, everyone knows that sucks, everyone knows it will really suck if we're stuck in it more than a few years. Everything in your post has been stated 1000 times by 1000 different people.

If your interest has dropped off, 9 months removed from winning the National Championship, just watch something else.

Reaction Score
Well since Cincy was a Big East team you can use your imagination. BTW USF, also a Big East team.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
The bigger problem, (for me, anyway) is that I have virtually no interest in the rest of the conference.

I am pretty avid about watching all of UConn's games, but when Tulsa is playing SMU or USF, I have trouble finding the interest.

I ordinarily was anxious to watch any BE match up (or most, anyway). But the AAC hasn't struck that chord with me.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
One of the problems is that the AAC looks like a decent Southern league and we are a Northern team.
Personally, I think that UConn, Cincy and Temple should be elsewhere.
But, Tulane, Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, Houston, UCF, and USF have the makings of a very good Southern league.
I wonder if this what the commissioner was thinking when he started putting this league together.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
It wasn't like many of these teams had a choice, the commissioner took what he could get with media markets and schools with decent fbs football programs. It is what is and with any bit of luck UConn will be out of it within a couple seasons.

Reaction Score
We've scheduled Georgetown but I wasn't aware that Nova was finalized. Are you sure about that, I know it's in the works?
As soon as I posted that I thought I was thinking about Gtown, thanks for clearing that up. The point stands

I do know we were talking to Nova but I dunno if anything has been finalized

Reaction Score
The premise of this thread is correct and to deny it is to put your head in the sand. Can we do anything about it? No. Last night for instance Cuse played N.C. If you like college hoop, you watched at least part of it and that goes for fans of other conferences. Do you think UCONN Cincy gets the same interest nationally and that's a league marquis game? That said we haven't exactly dominated this crumb league, So my advice is to hold your nose and cheer and hope we can play some exiting and meaningful games in March.

Reaction Score
There is NO elsewhere; unless you follow the NelsonMuntz thinking - get rid of Football.

Stating that UCF is Central Connecticut is silly. You have a part of this great country that is explosive growth. UCF is a NEW school; but will be 70,000 enrollment in a snap. As much as the P5 look down their nose, you simply cannot ignore the pure march of demographics & markets. True as well for the Urban centers at Houston & Temple. You cannot get away with the idea that Temple is that school in the crappy area of Philadelphia - it has changed & that entire Broad Street neighborhood is getting better; same with UH. These are not second tier schools (well maybe Tulsa). This is the Misfit toys; because some Command Central played Power ball. You end up with the 4 hands getting paid in NC; but ZERO Public Universities for the 39m people of New York and New England (about 12% of the US). Cartels always LEAK; that is what you learn in Econ class.

I see a HOLE in the ESPN programming that used to be filled by Big East - Big Monday. And, I suspect that we have a lot of room in Football presence on TV as well in the Fall.

Reaction Score
Wow either frustrated, arrogant or bitter fans we are. Its disrespectful to our conference foes as fans to belittle their teams.

Sure its a new day and we would prefer to be in the P5, but what message are we sending to Memphis, SMU, and all other AAC fan base?

Some may say they don't care but to our players we indirectly represent them on message boards, in public and at games.

They are our partners whether we like it our not. Unless perhaps someone here has the power to instantly change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom