I can't believe it even though I knew this day would come. | The Boneyard

I can't believe it even though I knew this day would come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was only a matter of time that the Big East would get raided. The BE is the only BCS conference that includes BB only schools. If a storied FB conference like the B12 was no longer safe from being raided, I figured this day would come, though I simply refused to even think about it.

Assuming the rumors are true that UConn has or is about to request ACC membership, I'm going to miss the following:

Battling fellow BE rivals for BE and BET championship.
The BET at MSG, though the ACC has a chance to get the future MSG contract, especially if SU, Pitt & UConn end up part of that conference. Even if that happens, it won't be the same.
It would mark the end of any more UConn BE records.

As much as I look forward to playing Dook & UNC on some sort of regular basis, again assuming we join the ACC, the thought of battling for the ACC title just doesn't sit well with me.

Another random thought is, will UConn be able to play the physical BE style of basketball or will the ACC refs try to Nancy us down.

As much as Dook & UNC are top 10 programs most seasons, will the addition of Pitt, SU & UConn to the ACC make it anything close to what the BE has been the past few years with in addition to these three, the battle for Beast of the East included, Louisville, Georgetown, Nova, , Cinci, Marquette, WVU, ND and even SJU now under Lavin. WF is often good, but not of late. Maryland is often good, but I hate those guys. BCU...eh...the florida programs, nah...GT is often good, but they've been a mess lately. IMO, the 2010/11 BE was the deepest hoops conference ever, going 11 deep with teams that could beat anyone in the nation. When will we ever see a team that finished 9th in their own conference will it all?

It's sad to think the loss of Pitt & SU to the ACC and WVU rumored leaving to the SEC is the beginning of the end of the Big East, as far as a power conference. As much as we are all shaken ball all this, imagine what the fans of the BB only schools are feeling now. If the conference loses UConn, WVU and maybe even UL, in addition to SU and Pitt, there will certainly be a huge recruiting hit for the remaining BE schools.

I'm proud to be a UConn and BE fan. I'm proud that UConn wasn't one of the programs that led it its demise. I don't blame the SU and Pitt for making the first move. But now that they've done so, it is imperative that UConn follows. The ACC is the only conference that makes sense. There simply aren't any big time FB/Hoops programs for the Big East to add to save the conference, as far as remaining a BCS conference. And with NCAA getting more and more out of touch with big time collegiate athletics with is rule book that size of the NYC Yellow Pages, there's that chance that the BCS conferences could someday break away and form it's own entity and no longer be subject to small school friendly rules.

Sorry for rambling about here. I'm just distraught about this even though I knew this day would come.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Sorry for rambling about here. I'm just distraught about this even though I knew this day would come.

Rambling? It was shorter than I expected ;)

It hasn't really set in for me yet. I'm hoping we end up in the ACC so we can be in a more stable situation for the future but it goes without saying I will miss the Big East.

One plus to think about is this - when people look back on the pre-mega conference era, they will talk about how the Big East was the dominant basketball conference. And they will talk about how UConn was the dominant program of the Big East.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm proud to be a UConn and BE fan. I'm proud that UConn wasn't one of the programs that led it its demise. I don't blame the SU and Pitt for making the first move. But now that they've done so, it is imperative that UConn follows. The ACC is the only conference that makes sense. There simply aren't any big time FB/Hoops programs for the Big East to add to save the conference, as far as remaining a BCS conference. And with NCAA getting more and more out of touch with big time collegiate athletics with is rule book that size of the NYC Yellow Pages, there's that chance that the BCS conferences could someday break away and form it's own entity and no longer be subject to small school friendly rules.

That's OK Dog. I'm dealing with this the only way I know how. Poorly thought out and expressed levity.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
Rambling? It was shorter than I expected ;)

It hasn't really set in for me yet. I'm hoping we end up in the ACC so we can be in a more stable situation for the future but it goes without saying I will miss the Big East.

One plus to think about is this - when people look back on the pre-mega conference era, they will talk about how the Big East was the dominant basketball conference. And they will talk about how UConn was the dominant program of the Big East.

As much as I ate the ACC, UConn will soon be the dominant program of the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom