I am just not that upset about today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I am just not that upset about today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, you're interpretation of the comment is silly.

We're talking in relative terms here chief. Nobody is letting this ruin their life. But, this is a message board dedicated to UConn football. And, in relative terms, if you aren't that upset what happened but are compelled enough to come here and post, then I don't know what to say.

So how upset should I be? And for how long?

Don't mistake my level of anger (or lack thereof) for lack of interest. The two aren't the same in my book.

Taking a step back, I'm pretty upset that we don't have a real D1 QB or a real D1 RB. And I'm pretty upset that our line doesn't seem to be run blocking anywhere near to our recent standards (I know McCombs gets dropped to easily but the holes don't seem to be there either). BUT because I know these things going into a game, I have a different level of expectations on a week to week basis. Right now, I feel like I did a few years ago, when I was "hopeful" that we could win enough games to get by and get to a bowl. This team just isn't that good right now. I think we have some talent, and if we play a full 60 minutes on both sides of the ball we can be decent. But it was pretty obvious after Vandy (where I did travel to by myself--something that people that aren't emotionally invested tend to do--go to road games alone) that this team wasn't going to be an 8-9-10 win team. So I'm looking at this team on a game by game basis and watching it from a development standpoint, because to me we are clearly in a rebuilding situation.

Reaction Score
This is gonna be a long,disappointing season. UConn is what the recruiting experts have said they where - a composite of 4-5 years worth of recruiting classes that were judged to be among the BE's weakest (and the BE was the weakest of the BCS conferences). Randy was never a good recruiter and was forced to stockpile "under-the- radars" and make due. It's finally caught up with the Huskies"

Reaction Score
It all boils down to this......if you are not that upset about what happened yesterday, I really have to call into question just how much you are emotionally invested in the football program.

You have too much Drummond on your mind right now.

i'm not that upset b/c i knew going in that W Michigan was probably the best team we'd faced so far this year and our offense really looked improved. McEntee did a good job of moving in the pocket and did credible job of finding the open receiver. i'm very disappointed b/c going into the game i thought if we managed 24 points that we'd have gotten a win, but i also didn't think there was a chnce in hell we'd get 24 points without a return or defensive TD or two and we did. i don't see how anyone doesn't think 4 BE wins is possible. if i had to predict i'd say we go 3-4, but none of our BE opponents is so great that we can't beat them. Pitt, USF and WVU will be tough but i wouldn't be surprised if we upset one of them.

we were in a good position to win in every single one of our losses, and the teams we lost to were better than some of you are giving them credit for. it's not like we've looked flat outmatched. can anyone really say that Edsall had a chance to win that Temple game? so tell me why a team that lost each of their games by a TD or less can't win 4 games in a mediocre Big East?

your assertion that anyone that's not that upset isn't emotionally invested enough is a weak attempt to make your opinions on the game more valid than those that are not crying. maybe some of us just don't throw in the towel after every set back and realize that the team played a lot better on offense this week than in any game yet this year. we moved the ball yesterday better than any game i can remember since the end of '09, and we did it without being able to fallback on a top level runing game. the truth is their WRs made some amazing plays of the ball yesterday, and that was the difference. as much as some of you want to bash Wilburn, he was in good position for a lot of the catches against him the WR just made a better play on the ball.

Reaction Score
Are you more upset by how playing than last year after the Louisville game? Looking at talent, W Mich looked to me to have the better QB and receivers. If you do not see the offense as better, not sure what you are watching. This team was driving for a tieing score at end of game, not great, but at least in the game.

if you go back and reread posts (which obviously you won't do, neither would i) you'll see that i was consistently behind McEntee when everyone else was saying he was a lost cause and he could never be our qb, etc etc. Now everyone is saying he's 'getting better' and 'we have our QB' and now i think i will jump on the other side of the fence. we need to settle down. he made some really nice throws in 1 game. thats it. he hasn't proven to be the answer or our qb of the future or anything like that. he's the best of the 3 options we have at this point and he had a nice game AGAINST A MAC TEAM AT HOME. thats a bit different than if he did this @ Pitt or @ WVU or something along those lines.

i'm trying to look at things from the big picture... where do i see something to say 'well... things are overall improving here compared to the past regime'. and i can't find anywhere. with Edsall, like him or hate him, you can CLEARLY see his direction of disciplined football, limit mistakes, etc. whether you like that strategy of play or not isn't the point... the point is we know the plan and we can see it being executed. what is Coach P's plan? rotating a wildcat qb randomly at times throughout the game? we seem less disciplined and less focused. i'm not buying the whole 'we don't have the talent thing' either. talent wise we've been comparable with every team we've played thus far, thats not the excuse for us losing these games.

and again, his sideline demeanor makes me want to puke. i'm not a 'rah rah' guy by any means and i think sports cliches like 'fire in your stomach' and 'having more heart' and all that is pretty much nonsense. but players do take cues from their leader and when he looks defeated on the sidelines it is bound to seep into the players.

Reaction Score
i'm not that upset b/c i knew going in that W Michigan was probably the best team we'd faced so far this year and our offense really looked improved. McEntee did a good job of moving in the pocket and did credible job of finding the open receiver. i'm very disappointed b/c going into the game i thought if we managed 24 points that we'd have gotten a win, but i also didn't think there was a chnce in hell we'd get 24 points without a return or defensive TD or two and we did. i don't see how anyone doesn't think 4 BE wins is possible. if i had to predict i'd say we go 3-4, but none of our BE opponents is so great that we can't beat them. Pitt, USF and WVU will be tough but i wouldn't be surprised if we upset one of them.

we were in a good position to win in every single one of our losses, and the teams we lost to were better than some of you are giving them credit for. it's not like we've looked flat outmatched. can anyone really say that Edsall had a chance to win that Temple game? so tell me why a team that lost each of their games by a TD or less can't win 4 games in a mediocre Big East?

your assertion that anyone that's not that upset isn't emotionally invested enough is a weak attempt to make your opinions on the game more valid than those that are not crying. maybe some of us just don't throw in the towel after every set back and realize that the team played a lot better on offense this week than in any game yet this year. we moved the ball yesterday better than any game i can remember since the end of '09, and we did it without being able to fallback on a top level runing game. the truth is their WRs made some amazing plays of the ball yesterday, and that was the difference. as much as some of you want to bash Wilburn, he was in good position for a lot of the catches against him the WR just made a better play on the ball.

Yeah. You have me all figured out.

I was addressing Waylon directly in my original statement because he implied that he was preoccupied with hoops and football, not so much.

Thank you Dr. Freud.

Reaction Score
And, FWIW, I don't disagree with a lot of what you said about the game.

I'm not one of the fans calling for P's head after 5 games. I wouldn't consider myself one of the whiners.

Reaction Score
It sucks losing, but IMO this team has not looked that bad the last 3 games. Iowa State played well against UConn, and that came could have gone either way. UConn dominated Buffalo, and lost a heartbreaker to WMU.

The offense is night and day better than it was against Vanderbilt. Vandy was a better D than WMU, but McEntee couldn't throw in that game and the receivers couldn't catch. He threw for 300 yards with 4 TD's and no INT's. I may be missing a game, but I think that is the third 300 yard game since Orlovsky left.

And he needed to score every time. Did anyone doubt that he was going to punch it in when Griffin put it on the ground? When was the last time you had that much confidence in a late game rally? McEntee is not a great QB, but we are flirting with mediocrity, which is light years ahead of where we have been the last 6 years.

And McEntee is doing this without much of a running game. McCoombs is quick enough, but he has a lot to learn about playing running back. Way too much dancing behind the line, and that big run he had should have been a TD instead of him tripping over his own feet. He ended up with good numbers, but half of it came off one carry. There were too many 2nd and 3rd and longs that could have been shorter with less dancing and more running by McCoombs.

The defense just folded up today after 3 good efforts in a row. The drop off from Wreh-Wilson is just unacceptable. It's not like BWW is Darius Butler. He is just a good college CB, and there is nothing behind him. The pass rush was non-existent. Did Jennings play in the second half after getting hurt on special teams? I didn't think to look for him until after that point, but the pass rush evaporated completely at the end.

UConn is what it is. It is no where close to a Top 25 team, and I think a few teams on the schedule have turned out to be better than expected. 4 Big East wins and a bowl bid is still a possibility given how the team is developing and the rest of the league is shaping up.
Excellent post from one psychotic, manic depressive, belligerent SOB! (said lovingly ;)). Love the quote about "flirting with mediocrity." So true. It has been forever since we've had any semblance of a passing game. We have issues on defense. We always give up the big play. Yesterday we just just did it with more frequency. Are we going to see a passing game this well developed again this year? I tend to doubt it. But WMU just picked us apart. Guys caught passes, and the QB was as good as advertised. Their Dan Orlovsky.

Reaction Score
Of course you aren't upset. Anyone who could have 500 posts on why the hybrid Big East is a great idea generally can't be too invested in the football program.
Whaler, no one is in favor of a hybrid Big East as a first choice. For instance, my first choice would be the Big 10, second choice a combined big 12, third choice ACC, fourth choice a hybrid be. It just so happens that a hybrid be may be all there is. Why shouldn't we work to make it successful if that is our only choice?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, no one is in favor of a hybrid Big East as a first choice. For instance, my first choice would be the Big 10, second choice a combined big 12, third choice ACC, fourth choice a hybrid be. It just so happens that a hybrid be may be all there is. Why shouldn't we work to make it successful if that is our only choice?

No one but Waylon.

Reaction Score
Part about UConn not deserving the bid: sufficiently ignored! Well done!

You need me to answer that? I've answered that at least 100 times. If BCS bids should go to the ten best teams, we didn't come close to deserving one. If each champion of a conference that, over time, has been one of the best six, should go, then heck yes we deserved to go. So, under the rules of the system, we deserved to go. Under a system that doesn't exist, but you can argue should, we didn't.

Did I really need to say that again?

Reaction Score
We just lost, AT HOME, to a team from the MAC.

i'm not one to get overexcited on positives or negatives and like to think about things rationally, but if you're not upset about that loss and the way this team is playing than i don't know that you'll ever be.

just answer this one question... what is the direction of this team under coach P? Are we improving any where? what is the clear vision?
there is none and we're not getting better... thats why i'm in borderline panic mode that this program is in quick sand with Pasqualoni.

the offense is definitely improving, though i am still not in love with the playcalling. it looked like the offensive line was better with the pass protection this game, and mcentee is finally stepping up in the pocket (though with some happy feet). our running game is not any better unfortunately.

the defense obviously had issues yesterday, though it is not clear if those issues are due to a banged up secondary. the defensive line is stout, for sure - and they get great pressure on the quarterback w/ just the defensive line.

i agree that this team is getting better, and could steal a game or two when we get to big east play. while i acknowledge that i was (and probably am) a p supporter, i am concerned about his management of the offensive playcalling, and the hideous special teams play to date. i am also concerned that we are too undisciplined on defense, with a number of costly and stupid personal fouls at key moments.

what concerns me more than the team progress is the attitude of our fans. i was sitting a few rows in front of some drunk, middle-aged men who were berating mcentee and pasqualoni from the start of the first series. they were constantly complaining about mcentee (even when it was actually mcummings on the field), the offense, pasqualoni, the defense, etc; they were moronic, and sadly they were not a small minority. i was going to mention something here after the iowa state game, b/c i thought many of our fans were classless in the way we berated a few iowa state fans in the restroom - and it seems to be getting worse, not better. perhaps they should do a better job of cutting people off at the beer lines - or get rid of drinks in the stadium all together (note: i was well lit by game time, so I am not a drinking prude).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It all boils down to this......if you are not that upset about what happened yesterday, I really have to call into question just how much you are emotionally invested in the football program.

You have too much Drummond on your mind right now.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. Until your post, I didn't realize that I had to be slitting my wrists, trashing the coaches and the players and begging for St. Randy's return to be a true fan. This was helpful.

Reaction Score
This is gonna be a long,disappointing season. UConn is what the recruiting experts have said they where - a composite of 4-5 years worth of recruiting classes that were judged to be among the BE's weakest (and the BE was the weakest of the BCS conferences). Randy was never a good recruiter and was forced to stockpile "under-the- radars" and make due. It's finally caught up with the Huskies"

Now that's funny. We throw for 300 yards and you just move on to the next complaint.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You need me to answer that? I've answered that at least 100 times. If BCS bids should go to the ten best teams, we didn't come close to deserving one. If each champion of a conference that, over time, has been one of the best six, should go, then heck yes we deserved to go. So, under the rules of the system, we deserved to go. Under a system that doesn't exist, but you can argue should, we didn't.

Did I really need to say that again?

Leave it to the lawyer to get technical. Yes, by the rules, UConn 100% deserved its BCS bid. It also had the weakest resume of any team to make a BCS game.

Reaction Score
the offense is definitely improving, though i am still not in love with the playcalling. it looked like the offensive line was better with the pass protection this game, and mcentee is finally stepping up in the pocket (though with some happy feet). our running game is not any better unfortunately.

the defense obviously had issues yesterday, though it is not clear if those issues are due to a banged up secondary. the defensive line is stout, for sure - and they get great pressure on the quarterback w/ just the defensive line.

i agree that this team is getting better, and could steal a game or two when we get to big east play. while i acknowledge that i was (and probably am) a p supporter, i am concerned about his management of the offensive playcalling, and the hideous special teams play to date. i am also concerned that we are too undisciplined on defense, with a number of costly and stupid personal fouls at key moments.

what concerns me more than the team progress is the attitude of our fans. i was sitting a few rows in front of some drunk, middle-aged men who were berating mcentee and pasqualoni from the start of the first series. they were constantly complaining about mcentee (even when it was actually mcummings on the field), the offense, pasqualoni, the defense, etc; they were moronic, and sadly they were not a small minority. i was going to mention something here after the iowa state game, b/c i thought many of our fans were classless in the way we berated a few iowa state fans in the restroom - and it seems to be getting worse, not better. perhaps they should do a better job of cutting people off at the beer lines - or get rid of drinks in the stadium all together (note: i was well lit by game time, so I am not a drinking prude).

No -- the behavior you are noticing happens all the time and is inexcusable.

Reaction Score
Leave it to the lawyer to get technical. Yes, by the rules, UConn 100% deserved its BCS bid. It also had the weakest resume of any team to make a BCS game.

So the Rays should forfeit. Because it's technical to achieve "by the rules." For non-idiots, the rules are how you determine who has succeeded. But in your world ....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So the Rays should forfeit. Because it's technical to achieve "by the rules." For non-idiots, the rules are how you determine who has succeeded. But in your world ....

I was simply making an observation about the caliber of UConn last year.

I don't even think last year was one of Edsall's 2 best teams. I think the 2009 and 2007 teams were both better than the 2010 team. The rules say that UConn was the representative in the Fiesta Bowl. Good for us. It doesn't mean we should count on getting to BCS bowls with teams that finish 8-4, including getting blown out in the non-conference by a mediocre AQ team (Michigan last year) and a team that went 5-3 in the MAC (Temple last year).

UConn has looked better in all three losses than it did in either of those OOC losses last year. The difference between this year's OOC and last year's OOC is that this year we didn't have a team as bad as Vandy was last year.

Reaction Score
I was simply making an observation about the caliber of UConn last year.

I don't even think last year was one of Edsall's 2 best teams. I think the 2009 and 2007 teams were both better than the 2010 team. The rules say that UConn was the representative in the Fiesta Bowl. Good for us. It doesn't mean we should count on getting to BCS bowls with teams that finish 8-4, including getting blown out in the non-conference by a mediocre AQ team (Michigan last year) and a team that went 5-3 in the MAC (Temple last year).

UConn has looked better in all three losses than it did in either of those OOC losses last year. The difference between this year's OOC and last year's OOC is that this year we didn't have a team as bad as Vandy was last year.

So how about this -- you state that we weren't really good, which is an opinion you're entitled to, instead of explaining that that's what you mean when you say we technically won the conference and got to the BCS. 105 players deserved a BCS bid because they tied for the conference championship and beat both the teams they tied with. When someone states that we only went to the BCS on a technicality, it ticks me off because you're denying their accomplishment.

Reaction Score
Now that's funny. We throw for 300 yards and you just move on to the next complaint.

Three Hundred yards was one decent game, not cause for a parade. UConn is 2-3 with the toughest part of their schedule coming up. Not seeing another run at the conference championship. And we'll see if the passing "progress" sustains itself.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The issue with McCombs is he is a 170 pound back who is getting 25-30 carries a game. Someone else has to carry the ball. I don't care who, but he needs a break. If all were right with UConn I would like to see him get 15 touches a game, not 30. They have burned Foxx redshirt why not play him some, even if it is just a change of pace.

And McEntee is doing this without much of a running game. McCoombs is quick enough, but he has a lot to learn about playing running back. Way too much dancing behind the line, and that big run he had should have been a TD instead of him tripping over his own feet. He ended up with good numbers, but half of it came off one carry. There were too many 2nd and 3rd and longs that could have been shorter with less dancing and more running by McCoombs.

Reaction Score
So how about this -- you state that we weren't really good, which is an opinion you're entitled to, instead of explaining that that's what you mean when you say we technically won the conference and got to the BCS. 105 players deserved a BCS bid because they tied for the conference championship and beat both the teams they tied with. When someone states that we only went to the BCS on a technicality, it ticks me off because you're denying their accomplishment.

What is the accomplishment? That they won the BE? Or that they got a BCS bid? To me, the accomplishment is winning the league (and the tiebreakers). That earns the kids a ring. Nobody is saying they didn't really win the BE (which could be argued about the last co-championship).

Reaction Score
The issue with McCombs is he is a 170 pound back who is getting 25-30 carries a game. Someone else has to carry the ball. I don't care who, but he needs a break. If all were right with UConn I would like to see him get 15 touches a game, not 30. They have burned Foxx redshirt why not play him some, even if it is just a change of pace.

I thought McCombs looked a lot better yesterday. He had a 65 yarder, but he wasn't going to score, th edback had the angle. he tripped himself trying to cut. But you're right. He is a small guy trying to carry a huge load. He also had several solid runs, and made a coupleo f nice plays on screens. He's not going to run anyone over. You're right though Bill, that 15-18 carries a game would probably be ideal. None of our top running backs in the recent past had this many carries as freshmen. Not Donald Brown, not Todman, not Dixon. They each got opportunities to get some carries, without having to carry the load. I also don't get the Foxx situation. This was yet anohter case where they burned a redshirt for a guy they likely won't be using. Now its possible that he plays on specials or something, but I haven't seen mention of that. I have to say that I don't get this staff's love of using true freshmen almost to "see what they can do" without regard for the impact of a lost redshirt year. Foxx had a nice run or two, but not all that much.

Reaction Score
I thought McCombs looked a lot better yesterday. He had a 65 yarder, but he wasn't going to score, th edback had the angle. he tripped himself trying to cut. But you're right. He is a small guy trying to carry a huge load. He also had several solid runs, and made a coupleo f nice plays on screens. He's not going to run anyone over. You're right though Bill, that 15-18 carries a game would probably be ideal. None of our top running backs in the recent past had this many carries as freshmen. Not Donald Brown, not Todman, not Dixon. They each got opportunities to get some carries, without having to carry the load. I also don't get the Foxx situation. This was yet anohter case where they burned a redshirt for a guy they likely won't be using. Now its possible that he plays on specials or something, but I haven't seen mention of that. I have to say that I don't get this staff's love of using true freshmen almost to "see what they can do" without regard for the impact of a lost redshirt year. Foxx had a nice run or two, but not all that much.

Donald Brown's freshman year, when Caulley went down he went over 200 yards his first two games against RU and Pitt with a ton of carries. But physically McCombs is not the Donald.

Reaction Score
I have seen Donald Brown and......gentemen......Lyle McCombs is not Donald Brown.

In all seriousness, it's not even even close. McCombs is showing tremendous heart, but he needs some space to go to work. He is just not an every down, run between the tackles back.

Reaction Score

I agree. I think a lot of our fans are totally classless. I think that the students booing when the other team comes in is classless. I would totally be in favor favor of some type of institutional education on what is class, and teach it to our fans and students. Class is not such a bad thing. No reason not to strive for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom