I am feeling very positive | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I am feeling very positive

Reaction Score
Last year, everyone was wondering how good will Paige really be as a freshman. We found out. I think there is the same situation with Fudd. She alone could be the game changer, with Nika also coming back. If they can play soon, there will be sufficient time to gel as a non-Paige team that could win a championship.

Azzi and Caroline, having to contribute on a team with no Paige, could be a miraculous duo

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Azzi and Caroline, having to contribute on a team with no Paige, could be a miraculous duo

These two were the two left standing at the March 30, 2021, American Family Insurance High School Slam Dunk & 3 Point Championships at Franklin Central High School in Indianapolis, IN.

Are on the same team? :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Sorry to offend you, if you thought I was attacking you, you are wrong. A constant mantra of mine is that stats lie; I thought it was a discussion, not verbal warfare, obviously I was wrong. No worries that is what the ignore button is for. Have a great holiday
No, stats don't lie. They're just facts. They may be misinterpreted, or significance may be attached to them that's just not there. It's simply a fact that UConn's starters outscored Louisville's starters, just as it's a fact that Louisville's reserves outscored UConn's reserves.

Is either of those meaningful? No, what's meaningful is the two of them together, which added up to a Louisville victory.

Reaction Score
No, stats don't lie. They're just facts. They may be misinterpreted, or significance may be attached to them that's just not there. It's simply a fact that UConn's starters outscored Louisville's starters, just as it's a fact that Louisville's reserves outscored UConn's reserves.

Is either of those meaningful? No, what's meaningful is the two of them together, which added up to a Louisville victory.
Well, I guess not so obviously it is meant as a hyperbolic statement, sorry what was meant to share thoughts and facilitate discussion was taken as a personal attack so serious you had to run to his or her defense.

Reaction Score
To the original poster: I am glad that you are glad. I am glad too. What I am glad about is that we have had a few players who would not have been given a chance to play, have come in as starters and as substitutes and shown that they are capable of producing significant resultts. Before her injury, we had a Paige centric team around which everything revolved. To her credit, she did try to incorporate others within the Team framework with little success.

If you are going to recruit above average players, I would like to see them play and contribute. It is incumbent upon every player to learn the system and play within that framework. I really object to above average players sitting around and waiing to play if ever. You have to get your players blooded if they are ever going to produce. Aaaah, what the hell do I know anymore.
I prefer watching UCONN win with no injuries. That's what I'm always glad about. I prefer the results that have always shown to give their team the best chance to win. And that is play your best players.

Reaction Score
The fact that no seniors are included in the Uconn’s key personnel of hopefully in March we'll be ok, is quite serious and very alarming and a serious indictment against the seniors. What I'm hearing and reading is we're depending on freshmen and sophomores to lead us to the chip. That's not good at all bcuz if we set the expectations on them and it doesn't happen we will label them as bust. The onus should be on the seniors to lead as the freshmen and sophomores develop, while helping out, into leaders who will deliver in their junior and senior years.
I love our seniors, however, they have shown us what they are. Solid contributors who should and I believe will play key roles in any ff run, however, they don’t have the horsepower to put the team on their backs and make it happen. Our underclassmen have to step up in a big way from here on out. Here’s hoping to a full, healthy roster by mid-Feb.

Reaction Score
The team will be better off at the end of the season. No longer will opponents be able to focus on one player in the tournament and upend these Huskies.
I have faith that Geno & Co. will prepare them against something like this ahppening again.

Reaction Score

Additionally one reason their bench outscoring ours has to be put in perspective. The total minutes played by their bench far exceeded ours, so their bench mostly outscored ours because we didn't use ours, and our starters may have put up more numbers than theirs because they were in the game much longer. When the minutes played by starters and benches are far different between the two teams, comparing numbers of starters vs. bench is very convoluted.

Reaction Score

A lot of people agree with you. I don't but I don't want to sidetrack so let's just say that Juhasz may/will replace ONO.
But I also think that it's not even xmas yet and there's a lot of time still.

Reaction Score
When Paige gets back and if she’s her self I feel UConn can still win it because we’ll be a low seeds that can upset a lot of teams that will shake the bracket. But TBH I thought our seniors was gonna come out balling this year. And CD is for real can’t wait til she start knocking the 3 down consistently

Reaction Score
We should be very positive about the team, the coaching staff, and the direction that the team is headed. Each player that is healthy is gaining valuable playing time, gaining confidence, and learning to trust each other. Players not healthy are getting better, resting, and learning from their healthy teammates; trust, playing style, and leadership. Going forward, this helps the program become even more dangerous, if they are trusting each other and building and supporting each other.

UConn vs Everybody should be the mindset going forward. We ain't got to like every team. We just have to respect you.

Reaction Score
Only if EVERYONE that's injured can return at or near 100%, AND...........everyone of our players plays every tournament game at or near their full potential. Everyone MUST make plays when they're in the game. To win it all, and right now, I'm not sure they can, they will have to become "GIANT KILLERS." Remember, none of the top 10 teams fear UConn anymore. :confused:

They're going to have to take down at least 3 top 5 teams. Stanford, Arizona, Tennessee, Michigan, Indiana, Baylor, NC State, Louisville, South Carolina (the elephant in the room), Texas and probably Georgia will all be buzzing around that second weekend vying for one of the coveted final four tickets. That's potentially 12 teams vying for 4 spots. Some of them will be peaking, and playing their best basketball of the season.

UConn out of women's basketball AP top 10 for 1st time in 16 years. It's been that kind of year so far.:(

I made a statement in another thread, this team needs to get better on defense. The Championship Uconn teams could make the great plays on that end to WI championships.
Getting stops on defense, rebounding, and pushing the ball upcourt.
Steals which lead to easy baskets.
That is a winning recipe.

Reaction Score
In the Evina vs. Nika starting debate, remember Evina was a point guard for two years, pretty bad her first year, and more average the next, but with a high usage rate, quite a few turnovers, and so so shooting percentages. She went thru a major transformation to a lower usage rate more efficient player, moving mostly to the 3, but also playing at the 4 quite a bit. Personally I believe her best positions in order would be 2, 3, 1, then 4. With CW there was not much time at the 2 and she settled in as the 3, and did an admiral job when pushed into the 4. Her versatility can fit many places, but I see her as the third option at point guard.

With Nika she had a rough start last year, which was partly injuries, but also she sometimes was miscast as a wing when in the game with Paige. Standing in the corner waiting for an open three is certainly not what she does best. Then Geno decided to switch the roles and when Nika and Paige were in the game together, Nika was at the point and Paige off the ball. That worked better for both players, particularly Nika and the team as well. Paige could be a great player at several positions, Nika is a point guard that has far less value at other positions. She could be a defensive spark for a few minutes a game, but if she is to play significant minutes effectively, they need to be at point guard. Evina and others can be moved around more.
I have no statistics to prove this but I think Evina is basically a first half player. It seems to me that even when she’s not playing too many minutes, she plays well early, then fades. In fact, I think once Azzi and Caroline are solid, it might be best to bring E off the bench in short (6-8 minute) bursts. (I’ll go cringe in the corner now)

Reaction Score
I agree with some of your points, but not all. They are not my stats. Stats can be used anyway you wish to illustrate a point(s). I maintain the starters DID do their job which was to score more points than their opponents. They did that. If you take away the bench scoring from both teams, who wins? UConn. They were out there as a unit, not individuals. You win or lose as a team.

Foul shots win games. Those 10 extra points helped Louisville win this one. It doesn't make any difference how you get to the line, just get there. They got there! If the other team puts you there out of last minute desperation, that's their problem. The reverse is also true. Louisville scored 10 more points from the line than UConn did. That is a fact, no lie there. You can't argue those numbers. 17 vs 7. If it had been 17 vs 7 the other way, UConn wins.

If one player scores 40, or two players score 25, or three players score 15, they're still part of a unit. One starter can go scoreless, but do other things that help the team win. I agree that the other members of that unit did not contribute that much to the over all bottom line, but they did contribute something. UConn's starters got zero support from their bench as far as contributing additional points or providing periods of rest breaks. That is not an excuse, that's a fact. And it's one Geno should be very concerned about.

You said: "As for being out-manned, I disagree, just an excuse." No excuse, fact. Walz used 10 players, Geno used 7. Six if you don't count the 3 minutes that Amari played. 10 vs 7 to me is being out-manned. If you're in a street fight, and one side has 10 roughnecks, and the other side only has 7, which side would you say had the better chance of winning the fight? You don't consider those 7 being out numbered? Out manned? At least three of those 7 are going to get double teamed, and probably go down faster than the other four. If you choose not to recognize 10 being more than 7, ok. All of the math classes I ever had recognized 10 having a greater value than 7.

As for the rest of your narrative, your points are valid, i.e., "they also just don’t get it done." Until they turn it around, UConn will continue to be on that roller coaster. We agree on some points:

"With the money on the line this group has not been able to rise up and it is a consistent theme. Having said that, I am not for a second saying anyone quit(s), they don’t, but they also just don’t get it done. You come to Uconn to get it done, not lay eggs in the 4th quarter, that is the expectation. Is it the end of the world you don’t, of course not, but here’s the other side of the coin; IMO, Westbrook and Williams would not be considered top 10 draft picks if they didn’t play for Uconn, so you have to take the bad with the good."
It would be interesting to see how many Final Four games UConn has won while playing a smaller roster than their opponents. I’d bet there would be a lot of them!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom