I am blown away by this team... | The Boneyard

I am blown away by this team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno said at one point, not too long ago, that he hoped some of these other teams were as good as advertised, and that they "would kick our asses so we could see it's not that easy" (not sure if that was his exact quote). Well, I disagree to some extent - it's NOT necessary to lose a game to learn a TON from it. And certainly it has NOT been easy this season...

This team was tested big time by FSU, has had quarters where they looked terrible, has had players make dumb plays, commit dumb fouls, etc etc. But somehow, they find a way, as a GROUP, to toughen up and come out on top.

No matter whether you think individual players had "good" games or not, every single player was needed to play together as a team to beat Maryland. We faced all kinds of adversity, and still found a way to win. A few players had less than stellar performances, the refs certainly were questionable at some points, and the home crowd was wild, but still we found a way.

This might be one of the most mentally tough UCONN teams we've seen in a long time. I am so proud of every player on our team, whether they saw court time, or not. Truly a herculean team effort! Congrats ladies and great job!!!

Oh, and by the way folks, this Maryland team is for real. I would not be surprised to see them in the NC game, and are an odds on favorite in my mind to make the final 4, especially if they play like they did tonight. They are one tough bunch - congrats to them for giving UCONN an incredible game.

Reaction Score
I think Lou is emerging as the best/most versatile and toughest player on the team. I'm starting to feel about her the way I did about Stewie during her sophomore season except that she had Stef, Bria, KML to take some of the load off.

Reaction Score
Are these seven games Geno's greatest coaching triumph? His twelve wins this year against seven ranked teams?

I can't believe what these young ladies have done! And how this head coach has prepared these athletes to win. And under the toughest of conditions:

Win against #4 Maryland in Maryland.

Against #1 Notre Dame at Notre Dame.

Click them off. How many undefeated teams has UConn defeated in this twelve game stretch? Notre Dame, K-State, Florida State, Baylor, Maryland. Anyone else?

Simply Amazing!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
UConn is unphased by adversity. They just play, one play at a time. Look at tonight's box score - all starters in double figures. And with all the foul trouble.

No panic at all. Maryland makes a run and someone, like Lou tonight, drops a 3. Then they get a defensive stop and go down and score.

Might not always be pretty. Might not always be a blow out. But it 87 in a row.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
KLS playing when she was sick!!!!
I'll have to track down the rest of the quotes, but I thought I saw Geno said something like "she almost didn't play"??

Reaction Score
I'll have to track down the rest of the quotes, but I thought I saw Geno said something like "she almost didn't play"??
I think that was at the half time interview with Kara when he said before the game he wasn't sure she was going to play.

Reaction Score
I think Lou is emerging as the best/most versatile and toughest player on the team. I'm starting to feel about her the way I did about Stewie during her sophomore season except that she had Stef, Bria, KML to take some of the load off.

:) Yes, and Lou has Gabby, Kia, Pheesa and Chong. Sweet Katie Lou, white as a sheet, blows them away even when sick as a dog.

Chong's 3 pts and block at final min. are awesome ...otherwise we may have a tie

Yes, Chong played "SUPER" throughout the game, and Gabby was all-world.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Lou Conn is making WBCA, failing an injury. We're also getting balanced scoring and nice team D. We've witnessed 87 in a row. The 2017 recruiting class is pretty decent.

In short: we could not be more doomed.

Reaction Score
:) Yes, and Lou has Gabby, Kia, Pheesa and Chong. Sweet Katie Lou, white as a sheet, blows them away even when sick as a dog.

Yes, Chong played "SUPER" throughout the game, and Gabby was all-world.
As much as I like Gabby, Kia, Pheesa, and Chong, they aren't the AA caliber players that a senior Bria, Stef, and junior KML were, at least not yet. Lou is having to own this team in her sophomore season without the security blankets Stewie had in her sophomore season.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As good as Maryland played, if Lou had hit some first half shots and Pheesa had stayed just a bit out of foul trouble, UConn would have won by double digits. Just like last year. Also, Lou wasn't the only player playing sick. A gritty, feral, focused and determined team victory. A real lunch pail effort. I guess this puts to rest Geno's assertion that she still has any of that "California crap" in her.

Reaction Score
As good as Maryland played, if Lou had hit some first half shots and Pheesa had stayed just a bit out of foul trouble, UConn would have won by double digits. Just like last year. Also, Lou wasn't the only player playing sick. A gritty, feral, focused and determined team victory. A real lunch pail effort. I guess this puts to rest Geno's assertion that she still has any of that "California crap" in her.
Doubt it. Remember how Stewie "sucked" right up to her last game at UConn?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Doubt it. Remember how Stewie "sucked" right up to her last game at UConn?
You've got a point. Now of course Geno's going to use this game as a goad. I can hear him now in practice and during games. "Where's that gutsy player I saw against Maryland? What'd she do, book a surfer date back to California?".

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No question in my mind that MD is #2. They are very tough. ND did itself no favors losing to NCState.
I would not be surprised to see the rankings go UCONN, Maryland, Baylor, Miss. State, SC, ND, or some order like that...

Reaction Score
You've got a point. Now of course Geno's going to use this game as a goad. I can hear him now in practice and during games. "Where's that gutsy player I saw against Maryland? What'd she do, book a surfer date back to California?".
Ha ha yup that's exactly how coach is gonna play it!

Reaction Score
Are these seven games Geno's greatest coaching triumph? His twelve wins this year against seven ranked teams?

I can't believe what these young ladies have done! And how this head coach has prepared these athletes to win.

Simply Amazing!!!
Maybe Geno has finally gotten too good for his own good. He can't even wish or will these young ladies to lose, because they won't stand for it!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As much as I like Gabby, Kia, Pheesa, and Chong, they aren't the AA caliber players that a senior Bria, Stef, and junior KML were, at least not yet. Lou is having to own this team in her sophomore season without the security blankets Stewie had in her sophomore season.

It's still early but a case can be made, perhaps will be made that this group is just as good...as a group.
Remember, Bria took herself out of the starting lineup due to her own loss of confidence and sub-atandard play.

Gabby may rebound better than Stef, obviously a completely different type of player, but impossible to prognosticate how totally dominant she may become.

Pheesa has "her little ways," (Winnie-the Poo) but the combination of moves that this group makes to enable makable shots in really unique in UConn lore...and virtually always against size.

I still have Geno's sayings in my ear about how the game has changed ...that guard play is supreme.

Today...our Guard play was fine, wonderful.

But the essence of the play of this tam is (usually) scoring our undersized post and wing combo's

Today though was a total team effort

It may turn out that the supporting cast is statistically even more efficient than the help that Stewie had.

Reaction Score

Aw, fooey! Md was just trying to keep their sneakers clean after they saw her barf in the lst quarter.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to see the rankings go UCONN, Maryland, Baylor, Miss. State, SC, ND, or some order like that...

I'm sorry, but I was at the 'HOME" game against Baylor. UConn had an easier time beating Maryland, even with Lou being sick and the Baylor coach making some really bad decisions at crucial junctures. Maryland is likely a better team, but losing at home is not a recipe for impressing the rankings voters. Baylor will be number two, Maryland number three, and that is hard to argue against. The fact that FSU gave UConn the best game without their best player makes them look better and better as the season rolls on. It is possible that they could slip into the number six spot ahead of Notre Dame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom