I am a bad fan - Tailgate Nazis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I am a bad fan - Tailgate Nazis

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I've been to The Grove at Oxford for an Ole Miss and Arkansas game and while many partied hard, yet most were in their seats before kick-off. I think most of this has to do with Connecticut not living and breathing football as they do down south. It is just a totally different culture.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tailgating policies ranks somewhere around 43,219th on the list of things that need to be fixed right now. Anyone who pays for a ticket for this product, given all of the promise of seeing UConn compete against the best and now stuck in conference tussles with Tulsa and Tulane, is a G-d damn lunatic hero and UConn should be profoundly grateful.

Well when the few people who buy season tickets are sick and tired of the tailgating rule nonsense... good luck replacing them.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Side note while we're discussing tailgate policy, is it also possible to hire someone to do the parking that isn't a total moron?

I was in a line of cars around 9am stacked back like I was on the g-dam GWB waiting to park in a COMPLETELY OPEN lot.

Just for once, I'd like to just drive in and park and it show some semblance of a professional operation.

Side note 2: they forgot to charge us for parking today too, so em, got ya there.

Reaction Score
What is up this year with the tailgate nazis? I am usually a good fan. I back it up and give an an obscene amount of money each year and pretty much have an open check book and go to every thing no questions asked.

Today we had our tailgate packed up around noon and decided to hang out and have another beer. I know this will some backlash being a bad fan, but it is a nice day and it was Stoneybrook.

First we got warned by a nice lady and we told her we would be finishing our beers and going into the game. There were still three tailgates not even broken up in our row. A few minutes later a guy drove up and said we have to leave now or he would be calling the police on us. Really? He was very threatening. This just made a few of us in our group mad and we wanted to see what woule happen (and Uconn was losing at this point).

I haven't read the fine print on any of the websites or ticket information, but would they would ticket us for loitering or something like that? Could they really do that? We actually paid to park here. We park in the Blue lot and in all my years of going to games I have never seen any unruley behavoir, most of us when you break it down pay a lot of money to park and tailgate there.

They moved on to the tailgate down the row that had not broken up yet, and as we were leaving the police actually came. I was going to stay but we decided to go into the game.

I get it they want people in the game, but is this any way to treat the paying customers? Is this any way to treat it's donors? It left a bad taste in my mouth and pretty much everyone in the area. One thing that Uconn Football has going for it is it's tailgating atmosphere. Coming up on a three year re-up with a so-so team, this is no way to treat your paying customers.
i think this was a holdover from the BYU game. We got there late and as we were walking in, the guys on the golf carts were going around ahead of the state police and telling people to close things down. it was clear that many of the students and others were using the tailgate scene to drink with no intention of going into the game. From what I saw (and I agree this isn't everyone), some ignored and were even disrespectful to the extent that the guy on the golf cart was calling the police.

I think Uconn is sending a message. Tailgating and going to the game isn't mutually exclusive despite some fans wishes. Tailgating ends when the game begins.
If people could respect that, State police wouldn't need to waste their time chasing people. But people don't so the State Police do what they do.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
What is up this year with the tailgate nazis? I am usually a good fan. I back it up and give an an obscene amount of money each year and pretty much have an open check book and go to every thing no questions asked.

Today we had our tailgate packed up around noon and decided to hang out and have another beer. I know this will some backlash being a bad fan, but it is a nice day and it was Stoneybrook.

First we got warned by a nice lady and we told her we would be finishing our beers and going into the game. There were still three tailgates not even broken up in our row. A few minutes later a guy drove up and said we have to leave now or he would be calling the police on us. Really? He was very threatening. This just made a few of us in our group mad and we wanted to see what woule happen (and Uconn was losing at this point).

I haven't read the fine print on any of the websites or ticket information, but would they would ticket us for loitering or something like that? Could they really do that? We actually paid to park here. We park in the Blue lot and in all my years of going to games I have never seen any unruley behavoir, most of us when you break it down pay a lot of money to park and tailgate there.

They moved on to the tailgate down the row that had not broken up yet, and as we were leaving the police actually came. I was going to stay but we decided to go into the game.

I get it they want people in the game, but is this any way to treat the paying customers? Is this any way to treat it's donors? It left a bad taste in my mouth and pretty much everyone in the area. One thing that Uconn Football has going for it is it's tailgating atmosphere. Coming up on a three year re-up with a so-so team, this is no way to treat your paying customers.
Note: I posted this in another thread, but it's appropriate here as well.

Tailgating was fine until we took down the tent. It wasn't as bad in the shade. Though I sweat through my shirt by 7:45.

Offense D+
Defense B-
special teams A
Rentschler Field parking staff F+
Rentschler Concessions- Q

Our tailgate was three cars wide yesterday and is typically two cars wide, so most of the time we have no problem parking by wood barricade by the road (For the attendants, it's better than directing another car to go in front or waiting for a car to back into a parking spot.).

A father in our group was throwing the ball with his son around quarter to 9:00 and the row being filled was 3 grass rows away from where they were. A midlevel supervising attendant came up to the father and said, while there is technically a rule against having a catch in the parking lot, there was no immediate danger and to make sure they stopped or moved to the lot across the street once more cars were parked. I thought, "Oh, they are finally being reasonable. Thanks Global Spectrum." Alas, my new faith in LAZ parking (or whoever) was dashed when the crusty old head supervisor rolled up to remind them who wears the white shirt in this establishment. When he was told that another supervisor told them to use common sense, he returned a scoff of derision and grunted, "No he didn't." Well, yeah. He really did.

The lesson as always? There will be no football playing at the football game.

Concession story (1)...Every knew how hot it was yesterday. well my 2 year old was burning up. So I went to an empty window where two guys were waiting to take food orders (instead of waiting until he passed out and had to be carried to a first aid tent). While my wife took him up to the concourse where it was breezy and cool, I asked for a cup of ice because I had an over heating 2 year old. They looked at each other then one guy asked me small or large, the other asked if I knew I would still have to pay $4 (because that's how they keep inventory control). When I said I didn't care, I have an over heated two year old, they took their sweet time.

Concession Story (2)...I went to get a water and when I got up there, I asked for one from the bottom of the barrel. The guy looked at me and said with a chuckle, "Well that's the barrel right there," and pointed to the counter, where the Dasani bottles were sitting right in front of the Pretzel warmer. His response didn't bother me because my order was at least barely sarcastic and I understand that they probably where going through a crap ton of water, but you don't have to accelerate the process by boiling the water before I order it. Needless to say, I didn't buy the water, hotter than the mensroom sink.

Apparently they didn't get any of the positive Diaco vibes, nor the memo stating that a positive fan experience keeps fans coming back and a positive fan experience begins in the parking lot and ends with the ancillary services that comes with the game. They also don't understand that without fans there is no game. Without a game, they don't have jobs.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Oh to prove I am a good fan. We got in the parking lot at 8:08, in the stadium by the time the National Anthem started, and in our seats for the coin flip.

And we started breaking down about quarter 'til 12 and had the final beer on the walk.

Everything wasn't bad vis a vie tailgating. The recycling team is a nice addition. Though I would rather have the bottle collected for the deposit and help out who does it. The recycle girl said that they didn't redeem the bottle they just threw them in a recycle bin. Oh well baby steps.

Reaction Score
The people they are alienating are the ones who come in during the 2nd quarter and leave by the end of the 3rd. Who needs 'em?
They PAID the same price you did.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe we tell others how to be fans because if we want to get into the P5 we need to become a "football" school. Half empty stadiums at kick off is G5 kinda football.

Love how people make excuses for "tepid" football fans.

Your philosophy turns tepid fans into ex-fans. But if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Reaction Score
i think this was a holdover from the BYU game. We got there late and as we were walking in, the guys on the golf carts were going around ahead of the state police and telling people to close things down. it was clear that many of the students and others were using the tailgate scene to drink with no intention of going into the game. From what I saw (and I agree this isn't everyone), some ignored and were even disrespectful to the extent that the guy on the golf cart was calling the police.

I think Uconn is sending a message. Tailgating and going to the game isn't mutually exclusive despite some fans wishes. Tailgating ends when the game begins.
If people could respect that, State police wouldn't need to waste their time chasing people. But people don't so the State Police do what they do.

Just a thought, why not ask each car to show their game tickets charge them a higher parking fee if no tickets? I realize that some people buy scalped tickets but how many can that be? Just wanted to note that walking in from the red lot takes some time they used to run shuttle buses , what happened to those?

please don't kill me.

Reaction Score
There are non- Rentschler/LAZ/UConn parking options and they're cheaper, many times closer, and with no restrictions. But hey, if having that blue lot pass hanging from window in the office parking lot on Monday is that important keep parking there and keep b1+ching

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
There are non- Rentschler/LAZ/UConn parking options and they're cheaper, many times closer, and with no restrictions. But hey, if having that blue lot pass hanging from window in the office parking lot on Monday is that important keep parking there and keep b1+ching
I agree with you but in the case of UConn, those colored parking passes, minus Red and I believe Gray, mean those people donated money, sometimes a good chunk. So If UConn no longer wants donors and doesn't care if those people park somewhere off site, then they can keep up these pathetic policies.

Anyone had a problem with hanging around a little after the game?

Reaction Score

You "get" two hours to tailgate after all games except night games where it is a no-no.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You "get" two hours to tailgate after all games except night games where it is a no-no.
Thanks. I always feel like this is sometimes enforced as get in your car and get out after a game or allowed or unenforced.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Police came through and "gently persuaded" people to leave due to lightning in the area. By the time I got home, it passed and went in the pool.

Reaction Score
Just a thought, why not ask each car to show their game tickets charge them a higher parking fee if no tickets? I realize that some people buy scalped tickets but how many can that be? Just wanted to note that walking in from the red lot takes some time they used to run shuttle buses , what happened to those?

please don't kill me.
i doubt uconn will drive policy based on the support of illegal ticket purchasing... just a hunch. I think its safe to say, no tickets, no entry (and truthfully, under what scenario would or should uconn allow admittance).

it's a liability issue. i don't think uconn wants a bunch of fans using the lot to drink under the guise of 'tailgating', especially if a bunch are underage students of uconn or simply underage period... and if they don't police, its the same as acceptance.

i agree on the red lot. if you get in late, it can be a 20 minute walk.

Reaction Score
I'm going to keep this short and use small words because idiots are involved in the conversation:

Let adults tailgate where and when they choose.
if people could act like adults and drink responsibly it wouldn't be an issue. We all know that's not possible.

if the long term growth of the football program is based on turning the rent into a bar why bother?. just go to a bar. or better yet, pull up a couple chairs behind your car in the driveway and get drunk.

Reaction Score
Not defending the policy - just sharing it.

http://issuu.com/uconnhuskies/docs/uconn_fan_guide_combined_pdf/12?e=0/8693299

http://www.rentschlerfield.com/building_policies.cfm

"Tailgating is NOT permitted 30 minutes prior to event beginning. Anyone in the parking lots 30 minutes prior to event beginning must either enter the Stadium or leave the property."

The paragraph about reserving the right to enforce clapping after 1st downs, field goals, touchdowns and PAT's seems excessive. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom