I’ll go there | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I’ll go there

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only thing I will say at this point is that this team is the closest to the 99 team in terms of being focused and determined to get the W. The 99 team had a resolve that I haven't seen since (and if the 06 team had it, they would have gone undefeated). This team is close, they give the appearance every game that they want the ring and will do what it takes, regardless of who gets credit.

Reaction Score
Great point. Freeman created zero on offense. Also Souley and Saunders provided little punch off the bench. Mouring was streaky. Maaaaybe Rash Jones in spots. But that offense was Rip, El Amin and patchwork the rest.
Good points, but don't forget Freeman was the MVP of the Big East tournament in 1999. He saved their ass in the first round game against Seton Hall when Hamilton and El-Amin stunk up the joint on a combined 4-24.

Reaction Score
Good points, but don't forget Freeman was the MVP of the Big East tournament in 1999. He saved their ass in the first round game against Seton Hall when Hamilton and El-Amin stunk up the joint on a combined 4-24.

Oh. No doubt. I didn’t mean it as a slight. I’m a big fan. But he was a garbage guy in the paint. Rebound put backs. Not much outside 6-8 ft. Tried to develop more of that his senior year and never really did.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Clingan better than last years Clingan. Newton better than last year's Newton. Diarra much much better than last years Diarra. Karaban better than last years Karaban. Castle /AJax? IDK. Castle shows a more complete game IMHO. AJax? Much more energy/athleticism, etc.

Johnson? No Sanogo, but a hell of a compliment to Clingan, off the bench. Stewart? Did we even have a comp off the bench last year?

What a wonderful challenge we have that virtually no other fan base needs to, or even could, contemplate

Reaction Score
It took me a while to come around to the fact that this team is better than last year, but I got there - probably sometime in February. I can’t imagine many people disagree at this point. I’ll go a step further now. I know it’s blasphemy around here to say any team is better than 2004, but IF we win it this year, I’m on board with this being our best team ever.

So, who’s with me?

I feel the same way. At this point in time they look better than last year's team. Actually, I said this back in late January/early february too.

But now its time they prove it to the rest of the CBB world. They can only cement their greatness by winning it all.

So lets take it one step at a time, brick by brick. There is still a long road. Most importantly, lets enjoy it to the fullest!

GO CONNECTICUT!!!

Reaction Score
ive been posting since July that this would be the best passing, highest IQ team we've ever had.. I knew what we had in Cam Spencer (check my posts). Hassan has been bonus surprise. Setting big east tourney record for most assists speaks volumes...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This, as I have said on another thread:
But seriously, our conditioning, our athleticism, our BB IQ, our junk yard dog mentality, our offensive unselfishness, our team defense, our coaching staff being on point and making all the right adjustments. What is our weakness that could be exploited?
Ask Creighton

Reaction Score
It took me a while to come around to the fact that this team is better than last year, but I got there - probably sometime in February. I can’t imagine many people disagree at this point. I’ll go a step further now. I know it’s blasphemy around here to say any team is better than 2004, but IF we win it this year, I’m on board with this being our best team ever.

So, who’s with me?
The season is not over so you cannot compare them.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Something to be said for continuity and this year's team greatly benefitting from last years. Last year's team took a while to counter the dorking on Ajax. This year we saw some of that early on Ball or Castle but we knew how to handle it. "Programs" develop a corporate knowledge and constantly add to it. At least as long as the staff stays together.

Reaction Score
I think I'll wait till the season ends before I speak out against that 04 team.

This is a good team, that was a great team.

This team can end up being great as well.

See what I did there? Don't mess with the mojo.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This team is better, comparatively, than last year's team.

But if they lose another game or 2, that is no longer the case.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

So, who’s with me?
Premature.
Have a full shooting night against a capable team like we shot in first half tonight and we aren’t going anywhere . If we were playing Marquette or Creighton today we were down 15 at half.
16% from 3 , 40% from the line , 33% from field are rough splits.

Reaction Score
Premature.
Have a full shooting night against a capable team like we shot in first half tonight and we aren’t going anywhere . If we were playing Marquette or Creighton today we were down 15 at half.

This. Also, I don’t care how good we look this year. Last year we had Adama. He was an automatic bucket. He was unflappable. He was even an auto bucket under major pressure.

I love this team, but Sanogo is a massive loss, especially in a single elimination tournament where clutch buckets matter most. I definitely think we can repeat, but we need Spencer and Newton to be as clutch as Sanogo and Hawk were. It’s doable, but not easy.

Reaction Score
Premature.

“We”?

Reaction Score
Premature.

"If we were playing [team we weren't playing] then [bad thing happens]" is a weak argument. I don't know which team is better, this season isn't done yet. But these guys are 29-3 after 32 games. Last year's team wasn't.

Reaction Score
Clingan better than last years Clingan. Newton better than last year's Newton. Diarra much much better than last years Diarra. Karaban better than last years Karaban. Castle /AJax? IDK. Castle shows a more complete game IMHO. AJax? Much more energy/athleticism, etc.

Johnson? No Sanogo, but a hell of a compliment to Clingan, off the bench. Stewart? Did we even have a comp off the bench last year?

What a wonderful challenge we have that virtually no other fan base needs to, or even could, contemplate
Alleyne was better off the bench that Stewart. But Stewart being where he's at as a freshman is a big down payment on next season.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
"If we were playing [team we weren't playing] then [bad thing happens]" is a weak argument. I don't know which team is better, this season isn't done yet. But these guys are 29-3 after 32 games. Last year's team wasn't.
Nope. Fully agree. But I’m not ready to give flowers until it is time to give them. Even the best team in history is capable of throwing up a stinker at an inoppurtune moment. The best teams are reserved for ones that finished the job. We haven’t finished the job yet. The real work is just starting and I’m not ready to crown this team after a quarter final win against Xavier.

I do think this particular team has as much or more going for it than all others in that we have many solutions to mitigate “the stinker” that other teams simply don’t have. It’s just not entirely fool proof.

Reaction Score

So, who’s with me?

The chances are we won‘t repeat. The cards are stacked against repeating. So many things have to happen before we can start a discussion like this.

I will agree the team in awesome and at some point will be one of the best win or lose in tourney.

Reaction Score
This, as I have said on another thread:
But seriously, our conditioning, our athleticism, our BB IQ, our junk yard dog mentality, our offensive unselfishness, our team defense, our coaching staff being on point and making all the right adjustments. What is our weakness that could be exploited?
Very slooooow starts against an extremely ho shooting team a la what happened in Omaha

Reaction Score
And that 1999 team was undefeated away from home, too.
They may not have been explosive, I don’t know basketball well enough to comment. But I was at MSG for the BET in 1999 and I still remember the St. John’s game. We had 3 or 4 fast breaks when the ball never touched the floor. It was rebound, pass, pass pass layup. Most unbelievable thing I ever say. Just pass pass pass layup. It was a blow out.

Reaction Score

So, who’s with me?
I dont think this team is better they just figured it out a whole lot quicker.

Reaction Score
Alleyne was better off the bench that Stewart. But Stewart being where he's at as a freshman is a big down payment on next season.
Diarra off the bench is more impactful than anyone from last year but Clingan.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Diarra off the bench is more impactful than anyone from last year but Clingan.
Yeah, but I doubt there will ever be a more devastating one-two punch than what we saw last year when we had Sanogo with Clingan giving him a rest.

The opposition had to deal with a physical double-double machine then, while he was resting, in came a matchup nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom