Hypothetical question | The Boneyard

Hypothetical question

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Hypothetically speaking, if UConn played Texas first this season, and UConn lost, would that count as two losses in a row?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's one of the reasons our streak has lasted so long - there have been an couple of "1st games of the season" that were challenging - one year after we did not win the NC, we played Florida State right out the gate and almost lost. but our streak goes back something like 20-25 years without losing 2 in a row.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It's one of the reasons our streak has lasted so long - there have been an couple of "1st games of the season" that were challenging - one year after we did not win the NC, we played Florida State right out the gate and almost lost. but our streak goes back something like 20-25 years without losing 2 in a row.
The Florida State game was the first game after the last of the four in a row. It was on 11/14/16, at #12 Florida St, with Senior Chong, Junior's Nurse and Williams, and Sophomore's Collier and Samuelson as the starters.

It was the following year on 11/12/17 where UConn played #10 Stanford in the Countdown to Columbus on a neutral court that many believed that UConn could finally have their streak ended, but it didn't with UConn wiping out Stanford 78-53.

Reaction Score
In the past Geno has credited this streak to the UCONN schedulers.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
How about this for a potential problem?

After Northeastern:

Texas/NC State/Duke/probably Iowa...in a row.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In the past Geno has credited this streak to the UCONN schedulers.
His overall winning percentage would seem to indicate that he is being at least somewhat modest with that comment.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I imagine they will have to beat Duke to get to Iowa.
There is a consolation game, if they lose to Duke
I imagine they will have to beat Duke to get to Iowa.
If they lose to Duke, there is a consolation game

UConn tourney.PNG

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There is a consolation game, if they lose to Duke

If they lose to Duke, there is a consolation game

View attachment 80533
Yes, and I imagine that consolation game would be against Oregon St.

Like I said, to get to Iowa they should have to beat Duke.

Reaction Score
Actually, it's over 29 years! Last time they lost two in a row was March 17, 1993! 10,830 days ago!

Reaction Score
If memory serves me right the streak was in jeopardy last year. During our stretch when we had only three guards healthy and no backups, the UCLA game was one we had to win to keep the streak alive. We were very shorthanded due to injuries but as it turned out so was UCLA, and the streak stayed intact. At least that's the way I remember it.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
UConn has two active streaks that I feel confident will never be duplicatd again. (At least I won't live to see it.) 29+ years without losing two games in a row, and of course 14 consecutive Final Fours.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UConn has two active streaks that I feel confident will never be duplicatd again. (At least I won't live to see it.) 29+ years without losing two games in a row, and of course 14 consecutive Final Fours.

I don't know what the second-place streak is without consecutive losses, but I guess it's maybe 5-6 years.

The teams with 5 consecutive Final Fours: LSU, Stanford, Notre Dame, and UConn. Those are all 2nd place. Of course, we have the record at 14.

Reaction Score
. . . Like I said, to get to Iowa they should have to beat Duke.
Well, in principal, UConn could lose to Duke and then meet Iowa in the
consolation game if Iowa were to lose to Oregon State.

Of course both UConn and Iowa are favored in their respective games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, in principal, UConn could lose to Duke and then meet Iowa in the
consolation game if Iowa were to lose to Oregon State.

Of course both UConn and Iowa are favored in their respective games.
Yes. That's what I'm saying. Geez people.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hot take: I don’t it’s that impossible that Iowa can’t get through Oregon State and we end up playing the Beavers instead.
Of course, it's possible. So was losing to Northeastern.

Reaction Score
My guess is the only way we lose to anyone in November is if there's a major breakdown -- injury, sickness, some external crisis. But if we just progress normally through this month, I can't really see us getting knocked off our stride.

I know, NC St and Duke are real teams, but I can't see either of them having put their teams together enough yet to deal with the advantage in talent we'll have over them. The same goes for Iowa, if we chance to meet them in November, too. I love Lisa Bluder's teams, but she has essentially the same squad as last year, and we are significantly improved... and they couldn't have competed with us last November either.

Once December comes around, we will begin to encounter more serious teams who will also have found their stride. Notre Dame, Princeton, MD, even Tennessee (assuming Horston's healthy), these will be real challenges. Even Creighton and Villanova. And come February, SC will be the most interesting game of the season before the tournament.

But I'm not worried about November.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I had forgotten that there is a very strange starting time for the Nike championship game.
On Sunday at 1:00PM...that makes it 10:00AM local time for the tip-off.

BTW: losing two in a row way back when? We lost in the BE tournament...probably to Miami...they were legit for a period
of time. Our next game was game one of the NCAA tourney. Held in Gampel we lost to Louisville in a close one...maybe 76-73. I was there. Notable players for us were Rebecca Lobo/Pam Weber... sophs...Jen Rizzotti and Jamelle Elliot were frosh

Next year we added Carla Berube and Kara Wolters and went to the final 8..losing to eventual champ North Carolina.
The following year...Nykesha comes on board and the big-time rings started.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom