Hypothetical - Lets say we switched placed with Duke throughout the CR fiasco... | The Boneyard

Hypothetical - Lets say we switched placed with Duke throughout the CR fiasco...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
What would be the result? Do you think Duke would be sitting in the AAC two years later like us? Or do you think they would be P5 by now. Both programs have eeriely similar historical trajectories and success, yet vastly different markets (which I think head to head favors UConn). Despite this, I cant help but think a program like Duke would have been picked up by now, despite a weaker market/DMA, simply due to perception nationally. People are legitimately acting like Duke and their newfound coach are football contenders as of late, the short term memory in this game is unbelievable.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
What would be the result? Do you think Duke would be sitting in the AAC two years later like us? Or do you think they would be P5 by now. Both programs have eeriely similar historical trajectories and success, yet vastly different markets (which I think head to head favors UConn). Despite this, I cant help but think a program like Duke would have been picked up by now, despite a weaker market/DMA, simply due to perception nationally. People are legitimately acting like Duke and their newfound coach are football contenders as of late, the short term memory in this game is unbelievable.

Duke has historically been God awful at football but they were in the ACC championship game against FSU 2 or 3 years back. Contending for national championships and contending for ACC championships are 2 different things

No opinion on the hypothetical as I don't have a crystal ball.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think it's a really bad example.

For what it's worth, we're not Duke. Duke has a little bit of that Notre Dame fairy dust on 'em where most conferences would take them, no questions asked. If there is one school where football would not matter, it'd be Duke.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I think it's a really bad example.

For what it's worth, we're not Duke. Duke has a little bit of that Notre Dame fairy dust on 'em where most conferences would take them, no questions asked. If there is one school where football would not matter, it'd be Duke.
Yes, this is basically the post I was hoping someone would make. I am of the belief that this "fairy dust" you reference is a result of proper branding and marketing, which shows how far behind UConn has historically been in this category. Despite doing what only a handful of programs have done historically in a major sport, UConn has made little to no effort as an institution to capitalize on this success.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Yes, this is basically the post I was hoping someone would make. I am of the belief that this "fairy dust" you reference is a result of proper branding and marketing, which shows how far behind UConn has historically been in this category. Despite doing what only a handful of programs have done historically in a major sport, UConn has made little to no effort as an institution to capitalize on this success.

I don't think its fairy dust or marketing- I think its a long history of playing the revenue generating sports in a high major conference. UConn has only really even been playing high major level basketball since the formation of the Big East 30 years ago.

And I know- it shouldn't matter. But in college sports theres a place for history/tradition. It is what it is.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Ehhh.....

It's like UConn women's hoop - if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it.

Duke has had crazy success over a very long period of time and it's also one of the premier academic institutions in the country - they're a unique combo that would make them very appealing to a conference. Kinda like a trophy bride of sorts

Reaction Score
I really think you are onto something with this. If UConn did a better job with its marketing, would they be in a P5? I dont know, but I dont think theres a definite answer to that question. One thing that I always wonder about is the rebranding from the University of Connecticut to just simply UConn across the board. With all the talk about markets, and everybody saying Connecticut has some of the largest markets in the country, maybe it was better to continue to include Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Duke is one of those schools with way back football tradition...Played in a couple of Rose Bowls way back when...and the Rose Bowl was actually played in Durham in 1942 (west coast bombardment worries).

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Duke is one of those schools with way back football tradition...Played in a couple of Rose Bowls way back when...and the Rose Bowl was actually played in Durham in 1942 (west coast bombardment worries).

Tulane had five undefeated SEC seasons in the 1930s. Tulane for B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom