Hypothetical Big Ten Scenario | The Boneyard

Hypothetical Big Ten Scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I heard this rumor from somone, but it isn't from someone that I would call a reliable source...so I will throw it out there as a hypothetical.

What if the Big Ten tells Rutgers and UConn that they are willing to take us into the conference, but not at a full revenue share. We get into the Big Ten, but get less money from the Big Ten TV contracts than the existing Big Ten members (at least temporarily, if not permanently).

Are we desperate enough at this point to accept the lower revenue and status for our program in return for getting a seat at the 'Big Boy Table'?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, if that's the only terms that they'd take us under.

Reaction Score
I heard this rumor from somone, but it isn't from someone that I would call a reliable source...so I will throw it out there as a hypothetical.

What if the Big Ten tells Rutgers and UConn that they are willing to take us into the conference, but not at a full revenue share. We get into the Big Ten, but get less money from the Big Ten TV contracts than the existing Big Ten members (at least temporarily, if not permanently).

Are we desperate enough at this point to accept the lower revenue and status for our program in return for getting a seat at the 'Big Boy Table'?

Hmm. If its a permanent thing, why would they even bother to invite the two schools? So that they don't feel bad when they jettison them for ND? If it were a short-term arrangement (and I can't quite understand why this would be on the table, but whatever), take the deal--it will likely be more than the BE would generate even reduced, and then you become a full member.

As for it being permanent, then no. Why accept being a second class citizen? I'd rather be a full partner with Louisville, Kansas, etc.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it depend on whether or not we could compete with the proposed payout? If we get less money, won't we have trouble competing? Do all Big Ten monies go to athletics or is the money allocated to multiple university departments? Obviously, if UCONN has less B10 revenue, less cash flow overall and a small endowment, we would have trouble competing.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
They wouldn't do that. They'd simply structure the full share terms to a decade (or longer ):).

Reaction Score
Nebraska was promised to make the same amount in their first few years as they were currently making in the Big 12 when then joined the Big Ten. Once the other 11 teams are made whole (they get the same amount had Nebraska not joined), then the remaining money is split 12 ways. Eventually Nebraska will be an equal member.

I don't see how any other addition would be different. Everyone was all but guaranteed to be no worse off financially than before, but everyone would likely be making more right away, with long term plans for all to be equal.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The B1G stated eighteen months ago (when speculation as to how they would expand from eleven was running rampant) that any new member would have to buy their way in by a reduction in television distributions over a ten year period (the size of the reduction would be dependent on the perceived value of the new member). Speculation at that time was the Rutgers would receive about half of what other schools would (if added) for the ten year period while ND or Texas would get an entire share if they joined.

I don't think we have much to worry about (as far as a B1G invitation goes), especially if the school that could be the bridge between UConn and the B1G (Syracuse) will be in the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This is a likelihood at this point, which is why the Big East schools should have stuck together.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it depend on whether or not we could compete with the proposed payout? If we get less money, won't we have trouble competing? Do all Big Ten monies go to athletics or is the money allocated to multiple university departments? Obviously, if UCONN has less B10 revenue, less cash flow overall and a small endowment, we would have trouble competing.

None of it goes to academics. But we're talking an immense amount of money, twice as much as the ACC makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom