@husky99/recruiting thread idea. | The Boneyard

@husky99/recruiting thread idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
What about putting it in another board - Basketball Recruiting? There is a football recruiting board....

Not if we want to do that, but just thought I would throw it out there.....

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It'd be nice not to have every recruiting post hijacked - imagine only relevant info......

Reaction Score
Haha, good call @Huskyforlife - I proposed this very idea to temery and 99 yesterday via PM.

Thinking of creating a thread called Player Profiles for each recruiting year, with each post within that thread dedicated to a specific prospect, and the first post acting as an index/table of contents. So, in a thread for 2016 Recruiting Player Profiles, post #2 would be for Alterique Gilbert, and post #3 would be for Mamadou Diarra, and so on, with post #1 containing direct links to each post. Within each post is where we'd put relevant recruiting info and videos and such.

Reaction Score
Haha, good call @Huskyforlife - I proposed this very idea to temery and 99 yesterday via PM.

Thinking of creating a thread called Player Profiles for each recruiting year, with each post within that thread dedicated to a specific prospect, and the first post acting as an index/table of contents. So, in a thread for 2016 Recruiting Player Profiles, post #2 would be for Alterique Gilbert, and post #3 would be for Mamadou Diarra, and so on, with post #1 containing direct links to each post. Within each post is where we'd put relevant recruiting info and videos and such.

I've also seen other boards (i.e. - redmen.com) that have a forum specific to recruiting and they then create an individual thread for each recruit.

Reaction Score
[QlTE="tcf15, post: 1323620, member: 208"]Haha, good call @Huskyforlife - I proposed this very idea to temery and 99 yesterday via PM.

Thinking of creating a thread called Player Profiles for each recruiting year, with each post within that thread dedicated to a specific prospect, and the first post acting as an index/table of contents. So, in a thread for 2016 Recruiting Player Profiles, post #2 would be for Alterique Gilbert, and post #3 would be for Mamadou Diarra, and so on, with post #1 containing direct links to each post. Within each post is where we'd put relevant recruiting info and videos and such.[/QUOTE]
I laughed. he wrote very same thing yesterday

Reaction Score
A post or thread where people stick to the subject only , I see it impossible.

Reaction Score
why is scrolling so difficult for people. actin like this is some arduous task to get information from post heavy , just keep an eye for liked posts. or one's with bright blue hyperlinks and quotes.

Reaction Score
why is scrolling so difficult for people. actin like this is some arduous task to get information from post heavy , just keep an eye for liked posts. or one's with bright blue hyperlinks and quotes.
Not difficult, just annyoing. It's not too much to ask for people to stay on task, and when they continuously haven't, why not change it up a bit and make the important recruiting threads used for relevant information reserved for just that, relevant information.

Reaction Score
The problem is that the recruiting news often leads to other thoughts, which then lead to other thoughts, etc. Yeah, I hate it when I see a new post in a recruit thread only to find out that it's an argument about some random unrelated nonsense, but then I pull my diaper up and get over it. The commitment required to click the thread isn't so much that I'm all that put out when there's no new information.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I view this as one of those problems that isn't actually a problem.

We're talking about recruiting threads...on a message board....in the offseason. Relevant information about a particular player is released, what, once per week on a good week? The people who complain about threads going off-topic the most are people who are on this board all the time, so it's not like they need to go through 20 pages at a time to catch up.

And even if you do fall behind, it's pretty easy to distinguish between "opinion" posts and posts with actual information in them without even reading the content itself. It takes all of 1/100th of a second to determine if a given post includes a tweet, link, or quote.

You're never going to get the masses to all agree to stay perfectly on topic. If you limit the "key recruiting threads" to a few mods to update, then the rest of us would need to rely on those mods being around to update the thread if something relevant actually happens. And if the mods aren't around to update the thread instantly, someone would just start a brand new thread anyway and then you'd have to look in multiple places to find information about the same player.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The problem is that the recruiting news often leads to other thoughts, which then lead to other thoughts, etc.
And what to do when a recruit has a tweet that refers to eating questionable ass on the eve of a visit? Is that news? Is it a fact? Can it be posted in the recruiting thread? Does it warrant its own thread?

And what if that triggers memories a fine stewed donkey meal while on vacation in Italy? I mean, am I supposed to keep that to myself, or can I Shot and vomit that bile in that thread?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I view this as one of those problems that isn't actually a problem.

We're talking about recruiting threads...on a message board....in the offseason. Relevant information about a particular player is released, what, once per week on a good week? The people who complain about threads going off-topic the most are people who are on this board all the time, so it's not like they need to go through 20 pages at a time to catch up.

And even if you do fall behind, it's pretty easy to distinguish between "opinion" posts and posts with actual information in them without even reading the content itself. It takes all of 1/100th of a second to determine if a given post includes a tweet, link, or quote.

You're never going to get the masses to all agree to stay perfectly on topic. If you limit the "key recruiting threads" to a few mods to update, then the rest of us would need to rely on those mods being around to update the thread if something relevant actually happens. And if the mods aren't around to update the thread instantly, someone would just start a brand new thread anyway and then you'd have to look in multiple places to find information about the same player.
I don't think anyone wants to eliminate those player threads, because you still want to give posters a chance to talk about the recruits and continue to post tweets and videos. But I think it would be useful to have a locked thread with player profiles for all the recruiting targets.

Maybe there could be a MBB recruiting forum, similar to Football recruiting forum, or even a sub-forum, where we can have all the player threads, and then lock and pin the recruiting profile threads to the top of the page.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone wants to eliminate those player threads, because you still want to give posters a chance to talk about the recruits and continue to post tweets and videos. But I think it would be useful to have a locked thread with player profiles for all the recruiting targets.

Maybe there could be a MBB recruiting forum, similar to Football recruiting forum, or even a sub-forum, where we can have all the player threads, and then lock and pin the recruiting profile threads to the top of the page.
In all seriousness, I think either this or a dedicated/locked Key Recruiting Tweets thread are the best solutions.

Reaction Score

The thing is that it's annoying to check a recruiting thread that has been bumped 100 times and find that 99 times there was no useful information. This would make checking those threads much more efficient.

Your suggestion seems to be to wait for 100 posts before checking, which achieves a similar result, but then you've got the thread sitting at the top of the list just begging you to check, heh.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Your suggestion seems to be to wait for 100 posts before checking, which achieves a similar result, but then you've got the thread sitting at the top of the list just begging you to check, heh.
If I see a Gibbs or Gilbert thread bumped, there is virtually a 0% chance I'm not clicking it. And there's virtually a 0% chance that I won't be disappointed when I do click it. It's just the nature of the recruiting threads.

A consolidated, tangent free thread would be a huge help. The idea of one thread with a post for every relevant recruit is a great one.

Reaction Score

on some of these there are pages and pages of bullshit. The purpose of them is not to be filled with bullshiit. This is not a difficult concept? James you seem to be okay with bullshiit which is your perogitive but some of us find it a waste of time.

Reaction Score
If you're against time-wasting, message boards may not be for you.

Well no. We are just asking for 5% of the boardto stay on point. Go ahead talk about your ffavorite med well streak in Atlanta or Albany all you want. Just not on the recruiting threads. But if that is challenging your constitutional rights then let it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom