SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No freshman starters

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Qualifier

*It’s worth noting that by season’s end, Bueckers could and will likely claim a spot in UConn’s starting five, but at least to start the season Geno will likely run with the above listed lineup.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
That's not a bad starting lineup and it would enable Geno to have a second lineup of

Paige Bueckers
Alliayah Edwards
Nika Muhl.
Mir McLean.

If Piath and Autumn aren't ready, leave one of the starters on the floor.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That's not a bad starting lineup and it would enable Geno to have a second lineup of

Paige Bueckers
Alliayah Edwards
Nika Muhl.
Mir McLean.

If Piath and Autumn aren't ready, leave one of the starters on the floor.
I'd be very surprised if Geno were to go with hockey substitutions but I agree with you as to depth.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My prediction for the starting five since Paige signed. I've neither seen nor heard anything that has changed my mind. I also said the makeup of the starting five may be different come January or February. Gee, it kinda looks like I wrote the article.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Qualifier

*It’s worth noting that by season’s end, Bueckers could and will likely claim a spot in UConn’s starting five, but at least to start the season Geno will likely run with the above listed lineup.

I’m not saying that this in fact will be the starting lineup. Who knows what Geno will ultimately do on game day. I do believe he will start the 5 players he believes will give his team the best chance to win. This was my starting 5 before official practice began.

Reaction Score
I like that starting lineup because it allows for a lot of guard substitution patterns. Assuming Bueckers is first off the bench, she can come in for any of the 1-3 positions and players on the court can easily shift to alter the on court dynamics.

Edwards should be the first post off the bench. I think we’ll see a 3 post lineup for most of the season.

Muhl will snag some minutes as well, likely coming in during Q2/4.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There are people who still think Paige isn't starting? Even after Geno, normally not one to shower effusive praise on freshmen, said she was already a "really, really good college player" just from her few practices in October?

Reaction Score
There are people who still think Paige isn't starting? Even after Geno, normally not one to shower effusive praise on freshmen, said she was already a "really, really good college player" just from her few practices in October?
I don't understand it either. When one of your major problems last year was ball movement, it's probably a good idea to have your best passer and ballhandler on the floor as much as possible.

Reaction Score
As I understand it, this is one writers opinion of what Geno will do, which means unless he has heard something directly from Geno, it doesn't have much more credibility than any of our projections on the starting lineup. At some point Geno will announce the starting lineup for the first game, which I believe he has not done yet.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't understand it either. When one of your major problems last year was ball movement, it's probably a good idea to have your best passer and ballhandler on the floor as much as possible.

Disclaimer.....I'm NOT hating on Paige. I'm happy to have her on our team, and will root and cheer for her whenever she's on the floor. I don't care who Geno starts!!! That said................

Chemistry in the starting unit is a factor. We don’t know the level of chemistry and cohesiveness exists with Paige on the floor. How much command of the offense and defensive sets does she have?

We have not been told she knows the plays, and is capable of running the offense. There’s playing, and playing under control (knowing what you’re doing). Last year, Aubrey played, but did not know the plays or defensive sets. Sometimes she had to be told where to go by her teammates because she was out of place.

Chemistry is developed over time by playing together. How many minutes does Paige have in a real game with the returning players? I recall during the 2013-2014 season, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (KML) injured her shoulder, and missed several games. Brianna Banks and I believe Saniya Chong filled in for her until her return. I remember Brianna Stewart reflecting on how they missed KML while she was out. She said that the unit "chemistry" was not there. The "timing of the plays they tried to run was either off, or not there at all.

No disrespect to the other two players, but they knew what KML would do and where she would be on either end of the floor in any given situation because they played together for a number of games. The flow they had become accustomed to was missing until KML's return. If Paige starts, then she'll develop chemistry in time with the other starters.

The bottom line here is simply this.........RIGHT NOW, does Bueckers understand Geno's offense enough to run it from the point? No one is questioning her skill set or BB IQ. Only her understanding of Geno's system. Bueckers may start next Saturday. That will be Gino’s choice. If she does, fine. That means she's ready, and I'm OK with that.

If she's Geno BEST OPTION right now at pg, I'm OK with that. I hope she scores 30 pts with 15 assists in each game, and wins the Bad Ass award for both games. We'll find out right away against top 6 competition as UConn will see #5 Louisville and #6 Mississippi State, unless the University of Maine turns in a HUGE upset against the Bulldogs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Paige will come off the bench early and Aubrey will start. I do think Paige brings more to the half court offense but Aubrey brings more of an inside presence and inside/out defensive ability that we need and has a year more experience on the floor with the team. Bringing Paige off the bench also allows Geno to give Evina rest early and often if needed.

G - Christyn Williams
G - Evina Westbrook
G - Anna Makurat
G/F - Aubrey Griffin
C - Olivia Nelson Ododa

Anna and Evina will split PG duties and do what they do best in the half court, Christyn and Olivia will be the focus of the backcourt and front court sets respectively, and Aubrey will do Aubrey things while continuing to develop her own offensive skills (I hope they develop her into a slasher with a deadly face up game). That’s my general feeling, even though I’ve seen very little to go off. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to theirs. People should remember, though, that Evina was NOT a PG coming out of HS. She was a combo guard. She played the 1 at Tennessee out of necessity, and for the most part, was prone to lots of turnovers. While better her 2nd year, she basically ended with 306 assists to 222 TO's, but against good competition, she was more of a turnover machine.

I am of the opinion that while it's a terrific idea to get players to expand their games, it's also best to play to their strengths. For years UCONN has had undersized wings playing the 4. It worked great when Maya was on the roster, but not so much since Stewie and Morgan left. It was more problematic having no size off the bench. Pheesa often played the 5 when Olivia was out with foul trouble, etc.

During the Doty/Hayes years, UCONN played PG by committee, and that didn't work out so well their junior/senior years. It wasn't until Jefferson joined the squad that we went back to having a pure PG who could start and run the team. She started every game but 1 her freshman year, even tho Geno could easily have used Hartley as the starting PG. Point being - Hartley is NOT a natural PG, just like Evina.

Paige Bueckers IMHO is one of the top 10 PG's in the country RIGHT NOW, and probably top 5. As a freshman with hardly any college experience. Given how much Geno has raved about her, and given that he's not known for hyperbole, I have little doubt she will start. Why would you want to throw a wrench in to the chemistry by having a converted 2G playing out of her natural position as the starting PG?

It certainly has given something for us to debate in a lively manner. I totally respect that people believe Evina will be the starting PG (and Aubrey at the 4), and Paige will come off the bench, but I just don't see it. Paige and Nika are pure PG's. I see no reason why Nika should be buried as the 3rd PG on the depth chart. NIKA would be the starting PG on 98% of the teams out there right now as a freshman. That's how good SHE is.

Geno generally doesn't start freshmen except out of necessity. Neither Maya nor Diana started, but due to injuries, they were thrust into the role. UCONN has only 2 pure PG's on this team, and even tho both are freshmen, one is a generational player who I would bet everything I own that she has the confidence, moxie, desire, and skill to be the starting PG from day 1. And the other is a legit top 10 player in her entire class.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chemistry in the starting unit is a factor. We don’t know the level of chemistry and cohesiveness exhists with Paige on the floor. How much command of the offense and defensive sets does she have?

We have not been told she knows the plays, and is capable of running the offense. There’s playing, and playing under control (knowing what you’re doing). Last year, Aubrey played, but did not know the plays or defensive sets. Sometimes she had to be told where to go by her teammates because she was out of place.

Chemistry is developed over time by playing together. How many minutes does Paige have in a real game with the returning players?

she may start from day one that will be Gino’s choice will find out next week
I don't see chemistry and knowing what she's doing as being a problem for Bueckers. Offensive sets can break down for multiple reasons. When that happens somebody has to know how to make a play to beat the shot clock. Bueckers is better equipped to make a play in the moment than anyone on that team.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno's comments about Westbrook in today's season preview from Carl Adamec don't give me confidence she will be starting.

The site won't let me copy/paste but Geno said she's still working her way back into playing shape and to give her time.

Reaction Score
Geno's comments about Westbrook in today's season preview from Carl Adamec don't give me confidence she will be starting.

The site won't let me copy/paste but Geno said she's still working her way back into playing shape and to give her time.
I was thinking maybe he starts her but gives her limited minutes to see how it goes for her physically, not overdo it right away (“No matter what, in these first few games you’re getting 20 minutes, til we see how your knee is holding up”). That would give a freshman lots of non-garbage minutes right away and preserve Evina’s leadership & self esteem as the starter.

Reaction Score
Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to theirs. People should remember, though, that Evina was NOT a PG coming out of HS. She was a combo guard. She played the 1 at Tennessee out of necessity, and for the most part, was prone to lots of turnovers. While better her 2nd year, she basically ended with 306 assists to 222 TO's, but against good competition, she was more of a turnover machine.

I am of the opinion that while it's a terrific idea to get players to expand their games, it's also best to play to their strengths. For years UCONN has had undersized wings playing the 4. It worked great when Maya was on the roster, but not so much since Stewie and Morgan left. It was more problematic having no size off the bench. Pheesa often played the 5 when Olivia was out with foul trouble, etc.

During the Doty/Hayes years, UCONN played PG by committee, and that didn't work out so well their junior/senior years. It wasn't until Jefferson joined the squad that we went back to having a pure PG who could start and run the team. She started every game but 1 her freshman year, even tho Geno could easily have used Hartley as the starting PG. Point being - Hartley is NOT a natural PG, just like Evina.

Paige Bueckers IMHO is one of the top 10 PG's in the country RIGHT NOW, and probably top 5. As a freshman with hardly any college experience. Given how much Geno has raved about her, and given that he's not known for hyperbole, I have little doubt she will start. Why would you want to throw a wrench in to the chemistry by having a converted 2G playing out of her natural position as the starting PG?

It certainly has given something for us to debate in a lively manner. I totally respect that people believe Evina will be the starting PG (and Aubrey at the 4), and Paige will come off the bench, but I just don't see it. Paige and Nika are pure PG's. I see no reason why Nika should be buried as the 3rd PG on the depth chart. NIKA would be the starting PG on 98% of the teams out there right now as a freshman. That's how good SHE is.

Geno generally doesn't start freshmen except out of necessity. Neither Maya nor Diana started, but due to injuries, they were thrust into the role. UCONN has only 2 pure PG's on this team, and even tho both are freshmen, one is a generational player who I would bet everything I own that she has the confidence, moxie, desire, and skill to be the starting PG from day 1. And the other is a legit top 10 player in her entire class.
I think Anna and Evina would share some of the responsibility of PG, and Anna has actually played PG quite a bit before coming to UConn. I think Evina will start but that doesn’t mean that Paige won’t get just as much time on the floor, I think Geno will start her because she’s played in college and has been with the program for a while now and we know he prefers not to start freshman. To me it makes more sense to take the extra bit of pressure off Paige and let her come in and do her thing once the game has settled a bit. As the season goes on I do think she’ll be starting and it will push Nika up a spot on the depth chart which I agree is preferable. Last point, I think A LOT of the viability of these line ups depend on Evina and Aubrey. What level those two players can reach will determine how much need there is for the likes of Nika, Paige, and Aliyah. Obviously they’ll all see the floor but how competitive/comfortable they are compared to Evina and Aubrey is yet to be seen.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Chemistry is developed over time by playing together. How many minutes does Paige have in a real game with the returning players?
Geno's comments that players like playing with Paige because she finds them when they are open and scores when then find her may be telling in that regard.

That said, I have no problem with the returners being the starters. They are a good squad. I doubt the season ends with them being the starters. Not because of any failing by them, but because of the tremendous talent in the freshmen class.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

“She’s still working her way back into basketball shape because it’s been a long time since she’s been on the court,” Auriemma said. “There are still things she is working through, so give her time. But she’s an aggressive kid who plays with an aggressive edge. That’s been good.”

Journal Inquirer

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“She’s still working her way back into basketball shape because it’s been a long time since she’s been on the court,” Auriemma said. “There are still things she is working through, so give her time. But she’s an aggressive kid who plays with an aggressive edge. That’s been good.”

Thanks for that.

Reaction Score

Please don't copy and paste from subscription sites due to potential copyright problems. I've already been spanked by "you know who" about suggesting copying and pasting from the Courant. Try putting the URL into Outline.com. It's a little bit of a pain, but it works.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Please don't copy and paste from subscription sites due to potential copyright problems. I've already been spanked by "you know who" about suggesting copying and pasting from the Courant. Try putting the URL into Outline.com. It's a little bit of a pain, but it works.

The article from which I quoted isn't subscription material. But I might try your suggestion in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom