Husky Hoopla: Projected Starting 5 - another opinion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Husky Hoopla: Projected Starting 5 - another opinion

Reaction Score
No one seems to be discussing one of the major problems of last year's team, the fact that Liv [and Ania] were open a lot but didn't get the ball, courtesy of you-know-who. Hopefully, with Paige and/or Nika on the floor, this problem will be resolved. If so, our team's prospects will be much brighter, eh?

"You know who?" Really, all of UConn's ball movement problems were due to one player? Not likely.

Reaction Score
No one seems to be discussing one of the major problems of last year's team, the fact that Liv [and Ania] were open a lot but didn't get the ball, courtesy of you-know-who. Hopefully, with Paige and/or Nika on the floor, this problem will be resolved. If so, our team's prospects will be much brighter, eh?
I'm glad you brought this up. Megan Walker could put some points on the board and do acceptable rebounding but passing and defense were never her strengths. And it was even exacerbated by her noticeable lack of passing towards Anna when she was open. With respect to Liv, I'm just not sure she had anough skill and confidence to get the ball into her. It's unfortunate that like Azure she never reached her max as a complete player. It's hard to say this since she was the top scorer but I think she was often the number one reason that the ball got stuck most of the time....I'm sure she tells herself that COVID was the reason for her wnba season but I would offer another reason, lack of being a complete player....I'll now duck for the incoming.

Reaction Score
Muhl’s defense, passing ability but especially her toughness will lead to her being on the court way more than many of the projections. I read the same opinions about Makurat and they proved to be wrong. And Bueckers and Westbrook’s versatility will make it much easier for Auriemma and Dailey to find Muhl minutes. And don’t underestimate the need for her toughness, mental and physical, it is something Uconn has missed for the last few years. One of the intangibles that becomes very contagious. And from all reports she is one talented, fearless, tough as nails, winning player.
There is a thought in my mind that Geno could sit down with Evina and they could strategize something like we need you to start the game running the offense since you have experience, age, and more knowledge of our offense. In the first 5 minutes you set the tone, settle folks down, and allow the kids to watch to get ready.

Your knee isn't 100% so then we'll sub you out for Paige and after a rest we'll get you back in mostly off the ball where you can do a lot of damage and is your ultimate WNBA position anyway which will keep you, Chrystin, and Anna able to press all game.

Just a thought.

Reaction Score
I'm glad you brought this up. Megan Walker could put some points on the board and do acceptable rebounding but passing and defense were never her strengths. And it was even exacerbated by her noticeable lack of passing towards Anna when she was open. With respect to Liv, I'm just not sure she had anough skill and confidence to get the ball into her. It's unfortunate that like Azure she never reached her max as a complete player. It's hard to say this since she was the top scorer but I think she was often the number one reason that the ball got stuck most of the time....I'm sure she tells herself that COVID was the reason for her wnba season but I would offer another reason, lack of being a complete player....I'll now duck for the incoming.
DEpup .. Your analysis is spot on and I appreciate your candor, the fact that you "tell it like it is/was"
This year, with two "pass first/shoot second" point guards, plus Ania, I predict that Liv will have a breakout season and be a unanimous All-American!

Reaction Score
Bobby, no one said you are or should be afraid to express your opinion. That's what this forum is for. Sometimes others are going to disagree with your take, that's just the way it is. This is one of those times. I'm not going to get into the "semantics" (assumptions) back and forth with you on this.

Until she has played a game, and you have something TANGIBLE" to point to support your argument, it's an assumption. Show me something right now that proves or supports your take. you can't. She has done some wonderful things against high school competition. She's done nothing against college level players, some who are older, more experienced, BIGGER and faster than she is.

I understand and respect your point of view, I just can't go along with it until I see her play against 1-2 top 10 teams. She'll have 6-7 games under her belt by the Christmas break. Using those games, if you still want to say that she is the best player on the team, you'll have something to use to PROVE your point. Something we can all see and say yea, or nay. Right now, it's mere speculation. I know you don't agree with that. What she did in HS DOES NOT carry over to college, you know that. She's got to put some stats and numbers in the record (game) book first. She comes here with a clean slate, just like every other freshman before her. Right now, her stat line is zeros across the board.

Not completely true. On the U17 and U19 teams she played with several team mates who had completed a year of college and she still had another year of HS. And she didn't play a role, she started, ahead of older and more experienced players. And she won the U19 MVP on a team that included Boston, Howard, Jones, Cooke.
So yes, she has zero college game experience. But in an open competition for a position on USA teams she beat out a lot of older and more experienced players for a starting position.

Reaction Score
There is a thought in my mind that Geno could sit down with Evina and they could strategize something like we need you to start the game running the offense since you have experience, age, and more knowledge of our offense. In the first 5 minutes you set the tone, settle folks down, and allow the kids to watch to get ready.

Your knee isn't 100% so then we'll sub you out for Paige and after a rest we'll get you back in mostly off the ball where you can do a lot of damage and is your ultimate WNBA position anyway which will keep you, Chrystin, and Anna able to press all game.

Just a thought.
I foresee Aubrey&Mir doing the most damage at the top of the press w Liv being the 'ultimate' rim protector [as good as Bre?] Interesting to think bout who would play the back of the press?

Reaction Score
I foresee Aubrey&Mir doing the most damage at the top of the press w Liv being the 'ultimate' rim protector [as good as Bre?] Interesting to think bout who would play the back of the press?
I foresee that also. I see AE at the very back of the press at times spelling Liv and at the half court line at others with a ball handling guard such as Paige, Nika or Evina.

Reaction Score
Rocky, at this point, I'm all tapped out. I'm done trying to figure out who the 5 players Geno is going to use next weekend. Half the BY wants Evina to start, the other half wants Paige to start. :confused: Each side can present a credible argument to support their case. They are BOTH going to get MAJOR minutes. As long as there is a "beat down" of their opponent some where between the tip and the buzzer, I'm good. :)

We don't know who is doing what in practice day to day, who is raising/or has risen above everyone else in the last week. Evina may have been penciled in at pg when practice began, and maybe Paige has come in and learned the system enough to convince Geno that she should start. Geno may put Evina on a "pitch count" with respect to minutes played. I don't know. I'm out of envelopes, and my turban keeps falling off. :eek:

At this point, I don't care who starts. Paige, Aaliyah and Nika are all going to get major minutes. RIGHT NOW, I care more about the cohesion of the 5 players on the floor at any given time. I want to see a crisp and efficient offense and a lock down "in your face" defense regardless of who is on the floor.

I want 2 convincing (30+pts) wins next weekend. I don't care how they do it!! A convincing win over No. 6 Miss St. would be much more impressive, as Quinnipiac is an unranked mid-major. The good thing is we'll have two games to review and look at the play of every player that we may have missed watching it live.
I personally think that based on what I've heard regarding Paige, that she has the ability to come into almost any scenario with almost any team and in very short order, she'll be running the team in a very cohesive fashion ... her instincts along with her skills and her court vision are through the roof based on everything I've heard and seen and other than a little familiarization with her teammates (which I'm inclined to think she's already done), she'll be running on all cylinders right away .... There's concern, based on what Geno's said as to whether Evina will be 100% anytime soon so it may be that she'd more likely be coming off the bench ... obviously that's just speculation but we'll know very soon, won't we????

Reaction Score
I think it's quite possible that Evina may be playing very little point guard and instead either the 2 or 3 position ... she didn't play last year and prior to that she had some serious turnover numbers which suggests that she shouldn't be the primary ball handler running the Huskies offense .... Not when there's an extraordinarily gifted point guard (Paige) along with another (Nika) available and very, very capable .... Again, there's only one person who ends up making the lineup card and that's Geno .... I have never seen Evina play so I'm obviously depending on some second hand info from a couple of years back but I thought I'd throw my two cents around ....

Reaction Score
DEpup .. Your analysis is spot on and I appreciate your candor, the fact that you "tell it like it is/was"
This year, with two "pass first/shoot second" point guards, plus Ania, I predict that Liv will have a breakout season and be a unanimous All-American!
I like the sound of that ....

Reaction Score
I foresee that also. I see AE at the very back of the press at times spelling Liv and at the half court line at others with a ball handling guard such as Paige, Nika or Evina.
I agree .. good thinking!

Reaction Score
Muhl’s defense, passing ability but especially her toughness will lead to her being on the court way more than many of the projections. I read the same opinions about Makurat and they proved to be wrong. And Bueckers and Westbrook’s versatility will make it much easier for Auriemma and Dailey to find Muhl minutes. And don’t underestimate the need for her toughness, mental and physical, it is something Uconn has missed for the last few years. One of the intangibles that becomes very contagious. And from all reports she is one talented, fearless, tough as nails, winning player.
That's right, Nika at the point means that Paige or Evina can slide over to the 2 spot which gives you a second passer and scorer there. Nika can also shoot and drive and dish as well. Her defense ( in the videos it shows good anticipation) is another reason I hope for a full court press with regularity. I don't see AM out there for her defense on the press, not with the really good and quick defenders on the bench like Nika, AE, and Mir( also very overlooked on the BY for her defense). Should be fun on Saturday. Lots of weapons this year and lots of combinations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom