Husky Echochamber? | The Boneyard

Husky Echochamber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I no longer live in Connecticut so I'll admit I'm not as in the loop as some might be, but does it strike anyone as strange how little reporting gets done by the Connecticut media on this conference re-alignment stuff?

Not unlike the university itself they seem to simply react to news. Some school that is not UConn gets an invite to a conference, there are a few news stories about it in the Courant, a column here or there telling us that everything is going to be okay, and then nothing until news is made again. This from the world famous "Hoard", the most covered program in the country.

I really think that one of the things working against us is that UConn and UConn Athletics are very insulated.

I have a diploma hanging on my wall, I love the place and think that it is truly one of the great stories of an athletic program transforming an entire university for the better, but there may be a tendency to think we're more important than we really are because the entire state from the governor to the media spends most of it's time genuflecting to Calhoun and Auriemma et al.

Everyone involved might benefit from being more honest with themselves.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think that it has just as much to do with the fact that the paper is owned by Tribune and that all of the budget cuts and personnel cuts have left them to be primarily "Copy and Paste" AP reporters, with some small pieces each on various UConn topics. There are really no investigative sports journalists at the Courant. They need the bigger boys (Globe, Times, etc.) to attempt to do it.

Unfortunately, I feel like this type of stuff will eventually fall completely into the hands of bloggers and other social media type stuff, which means you'll be able to believe 10% of it instead of 80%.....

Reaction Score
"Horde"? Is that the word you wanted?

Connecticut is very parochial. (except for Fairfield County) Big & Bold moves don't come easy ... and I suspect the newspapers reflect a community that is that insular. WITHOUT CALHOUN & AURIEMMA? Genuflecting is the appropriate response. Those guys are the Big & the Bold that drove our University to greater heights. We need the next generation to start arriving & pushing us to a better stature built on the foundation that those two men laid.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Our media coverage is very small time. Very content to just copy and paste and rehash the same ol' ACC articles...even if half the league is leaving/about to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom