Huskies Will Have More Depth This Season (Des) | The Boneyard

Huskies Will Have More Depth This Season (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is the first time in a long time that I remember seeing positive comments about Schafenaker, which is a great sign. And I'm very hopeful that the OLine will shape up this year. Also, I'm going on the record right now to state that I believe that Vontae Diggs is going to work his way onto the LB rotation. I think he is going to be one to watch in the future... :cool:

Reaction Score
I am glad to hear the comments about the Oline. Crozier and Rutherford both impressed the heck out of me for true freshmen. Rutherford looked like a kid that could play LT. I really thought it would be Samra sliding over to center. While raw I thought there were times Knappe looked like a pro with his size and footwork. If that OL comes together we could be in for a surprise year sorta like 2007, if the coaching is up to par.

Reaction Score
Some more on O line from UCONN athletic site. Diaco seems happy with line development (probably due to Balis impact and further exorcising the GDL demons). Looks like Crozier locked in at center and four of five spots are nailed down.

Also some great comments about Sean Marinan and Nick Vitale. As a coaches son like Casey, Marinan shows great leadership ability.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032815aaa.html

Reaction Score
Talk is cheap but expecting improvement from the o-line just the same. I think Crozier will surprise at center as the year progresses, given the feedback about his athleticism and some concerns I had about the position after watching pretty closely during the season.

Reaction Score
I was most impressive with Knappe last year. For a guy that big, he was really able to move around. Hopefully, he improves even more this year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Talk is cheap but expecting improvement from the o-line just the same. I think Crozier will surprise at center as the year progresses, given the feedback about his athleticism and some concerns I had about the position after watching pretty closely during the season.

We need to keep in mind that the line will experience some growing pains during this season. What we can do is set a foundation where going forward we will have a solid line year after year (similar to what Foley was doing under RE). I hope we don't have too many boneyarders freaking out over every setback.

Reaction Score
I hope we don't have too many boneyarders freaking out over every setback.

clint_ew.gif

Reaction Score
We need to keep in mind that the line will experience some growing pains during this season. What we can do is set a foundation where going forward we will have a solid line year after year (similar to what Foley was doing under RE). I hope we don't have too many boneyarders freaking out over every setback.

I think if Sheriffs is the starter come opening day, his mobility will help mask some of the O-lines problems at the beginning of the season. I fully expect them to play better than the end of the season last year and I'm hoping that by the end of the season, they get themselves back to having a consistent 100 yard rusher (hopefully not the QB) per game.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I believe that by game eight or nine most of the kinks will be worked out on our offensive line but we need to realize that we will have a kid playing center for the first time in his life this upcoming season. I'm confident that he will adjust to the position but there is quite a bit of responsibility there. We will have a few linemen who will have the physical gifts necessary to get the job done at this level but will also have quite a bit to learn. My concern is that some of our fans will see the the former and get angry when the latter appears.

Reaction Score
I believe that by game eight or nine most of the kinks will be worked out on our offensive line but we need to realize that we will have a kid playing center for the first time in his life this upcoming season. I'm confident that he will adjust to the position but there is quite a bit of responsibility there. We will have a few linemen who will have the physical gifts necessary to get the job done at this level but will also have quite a bit to learn. My concern is that some of our fans will see the the former and get angry when the latter appears.
At some point in time, we all have to do something for the first time in our life right? They lost their starting center from the past 3 seasons I believe. The position needs to be filled, these things happen every season. Not sure if Mateas had any Center experience before Uconn, but he made the move from OG to C also. Let's not jump to more conclusions that a player can't catch on quickly and perform admirably. While I understand you're not saying he won't succeed or perform right out of the gate, I guess it is all up in the air at this point.

For the most part, the line has some continuity and some common pieces from a year ago. I wouldn't expect any regression, but rather progression from all those along the line including the second team. Of course this is hopeful/wishful thinking. But as you all know, I try to emphasize the positive and forget the negative.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
BNich, I'm not sure you understand what's normally involved with the center position. With few exceptions it is the center's responsibility to identify the defensive front and call the blocking scheme. Yes, Mateas did step in as center a few year back without any prior experience but do you really believe that he did it seamlessly?

Reaction Score
BNich, I'm not sure you understand what's normally involved with the center position. With few exceptions it is the center's responsibility to identify the defensive front and call the blocking scheme. Yes, Mateas did step in as center a few year back without any prior experience but do you really believe that he did it seamlessly?
I didn't say Crozier would or could. Just comparing instances in which an OL made the move to a new position. Time will tell. And game experience will tell us more than any spring practice can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

It's a tough jump from OG to C. Mateas struggled mightily his first 2 seasons (although I'm not sure how much of that was due to GDL). The only one that I can remember that transitioned nicely was Petrus. LT gets all the attention because he's protecting the blind side (for righties anyway) but you could make an argument that C is the most important position on the OL. Crozier will have some growing pains but it's nice to have him getting burn in the spring as opposed to moving him in the summer.

Reaction Score
The emphasis seems to be on getting the 5 most talented guys on the field. This is someting Edsall did as well. If the five projected guys all stay healthy, that is going to be one imposing group that walks out for the first series against Villanova. I'll never forget how Towson just pushed us around after the first drive and I just couldn't believe what happened to the OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom