Huskies vs. Gamecocks WBB: Time for Neutral Site Games? | The Boneyard

Huskies vs. Gamecocks WBB: Time for Neutral Site Games?

Reaction Score
Should the 2023 game be scheduled for a neutral site?

How ‘bout 2024 and beyond?

In all likelihood, the 2023 “rivalry” game will be a top 4 matchup and could be another 1 vs. 2 matchup. Should be good for 1 million plus tv viewers and a sellout wherever it is played and day/time slot. The location of the game is (as far as I know) undetermined. Do we resume as if last year didn’t happen and play in Columbia as was planned or do we act as if we played and play in Storrs as already planned. I have not heard anything from either school.

So maybe the 2023 game should be played in Geno and Dawn’s hometown of Philly. Easy drive from Stoors. Manageable long day drive from Columbia. Plus, local interest should sell out left over tickets. Should generate a sellout. Would probably generate lots of national headlines before and after the game. Boston/Burckers is sure to be a hype monster, eyeball generator for 2023

But who gets TV rights? ESPN with SEC contract? FOX with Big East contract? Can the schools/conferences negotiate a deal with, for example NBC, independent of those contracts? IDK.

What about going forward for 2024 and beyond? Should big market neutral sites be considered? NYC? Charlotte/Atlanta?

Boston is almost certainly gone after 2023? Will SCar remain a “powerhouse” in the public eye? Probably so for 2024 but they will need to remain in the top ten, at least, to carry the “rivalry” forward. UConn will be there as long as Geno is.

NOTE: I am not asserting that SCar’s meager 3 wins makes the game worthy of being called a rivalry. But, an annual battle between ranked teams for the past decade makes it a rivalry in the national public eyes.

It’s “ good for women’s basketball. It needs to be exploited.

BTW, assuming a 2023 network televised game, when should it be played ? New Years? Normal Monday in late January / early February? Usual Monday night? Sunday special?

Reaction Score
I’m in Charlotte (Indian Land, SC) so was hoping to make it to one of these matchups.

Reaction Score
I think that the venue for the playing site should be a home and home for the benefit of the students and the home team crowd. I really am not concerned about who makes the money on viewing this game. I am going to watch this game either at my ranch in New Mexico or my home in San Antonio.

Do not underestimate Dawn Staley. She will produce a championship team after Boston.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well first I thought, home and home of course.

BUT, a big production Philly thing would be kind of cool.

Reaction Score

In all likelihood, the 2023 “rivalry” game will be a top 4 matchup and could be another 1 vs. 2 matchup. Should be good for 1 million plus tv viewers and a sellout wherever it is played and day/time slot. The location of the game is (as far as I know) undetermined. Do we resume as if last year didn’t happen and play in Columbia as was planned or do we act as if we played and play in Storrs as already planned. I have not heard anything from either school.

So maybe the 2023 game should be played in Geno and Dawn’s hometown of Philly. Easy drive from Stoors. Manageable long day drive from Columbia. Plus, local interest should sell out left over tickets. Should generate a sellout. Would probably generate lots of national headlines before and after the game. Boston/Burckers is sure to be a hype monster, eyeball generator for 2023

But who gets TV rights? ESPN with SEC contract? FOX with Big East contract? Can the schools/conferences negotiate a deal with, for example NBC, independent of those contracts? IDK.

What about going forward for 2024 and beyond? Should big market neutral sites be considered? NYC? Charlotte/Atlanta?

Boston is almost certainly gone after 2023? Will SCar remain a “powerhouse” in the public eye? Probably so for 2024 but they will need to remain in the top ten, at least, to carry the “rivalry” forward. UConn will be there as long as Geno is.

NOTE: I am not asserting that SCar’s meager 3 wins makes the game worthy of being called a rivalry. But, an annual battle between ranked teams for the past decade makes it a rivalry in the national public eyes.

BTW, assuming a 2023 network televised game, when should it be played ? New Years? Normal Monday in late January / early February? Usual Monday night? Sunday special?
Great post @visitingcock a lot of thought went into this, and I hope there are people in each program talking through the options. The Philly site idea seems like fun, but it does "rob" either school of hosting and putting on a show for a National TV audience.

Hopefully there are fewer issues to disrupt schedules for either Team next season!

GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
In planning of this year's game (wherever it is played) I hope a Gameday is part of the hoopla.

Promote WBB.
Promote UConn and SCar programs.

Reaction Score
Make the game: April 2, in Dallas.
pretty sure Stanford is going to have something to say about that. They bring in the best recruit and will have a pretty experienced team once again.

Reactions: mmt

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
The opening post was well reasoned and provocative. It had a single glaring error: Storrs to Philly is a long and taxing drive. Not too bad as the crow flies, but most of us don't travel by crow.

I'm happy with home and home, and would be glad to see a Phillyball Battle as well. These are two excellent, well-coached teams. Where they play neither reduces nor enhances that.

Reaction Score
I think that the venue for the playing site should be a home and home for the benefit of the students and the home team crowd. I really am not concerned about who makes the money on viewing this game. I am going to watch this game either at my ranch in New Mexico or my home in San Antonio.

Do not underestimate Dawn Staley. She will produce a championship team after Boston.
I hope you are right but championships don't come easy. I expect her to produce many quality teams, but championships are a different story. Heck, she will have Kim and Vic battling her for conference championships very soon. Even the Vols have the potential for resurrection.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The opening post was well reasoned and provocative. It had a single glaring error: Storrs to Philly is a long and taxing drive. Not too bad as the crow flies, but most of us don't travel by crow.
That's not a long or taxing drive. Fairly easy drive. Like a half day.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope you are right but championships don't come easy. I expect her to produce many quality teams, but championships are a different story. Heck, she will have Kim and Vic battling her for conference championships very soon. Even the Vols have the potential for resurrection.
A very humble answer. But Dawn Staley’s success isn’t a fluke and it isn’t based on any one player. She, very intelligently in my opinion, is building a program. That’s what leads to sustained success. Even the little things like having dramatically discounted tickets for games means that the Gamecocks play in a packed arena. That is really good for culture.

I say it here not infrequently, but I really like Dawn and I think she’s one of the best coaches in the game. I view the Gamecocks as a “friendly” rivals based on mutual respect rather than animosity.

Reaction Score
That's not a long or taxing drive. Fairly easy drive. Like a half day.
I think Philly is a pretty easy drive. I have made the drive after work at 3 from Hartford for a concert and returned the same night. I'm no youngster but just stopped once for a quick rest on the way back. Granted, I didn't get home in Coventry until 4.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Humm. Don't get the point of the thread.

Big point of college ball is playing at their place and then again at home.

I'm looking for ward to Uconn coming to Louisville. 20 minutes and I'm in the parking garage outside Yum Center.

When UConn visits Butler I'll have about 2.5 hour drive to the parking area.

Had wonderful seat this year but the VA called a couple hours before I was to leave, letting me know I was positive for omicron. So, I got to watch the game on TV. My grandkids other grandparents got to sit in my seats.

I hope that UConn gets to play as many teams in the top 10 during the regular season as can be scheduled. Special promotion for SC? Not needed.

Reaction Score
My take is have the Liberty Bell Tournament on Thanksgiving Weekend in Philadelphia. Four major programs play a double header. Alternate the four teams over three years. You use UConn; South Carolina; Stanford plus a school from one of the other three Power 5 Conferences.

Reaction Score
Humm. Don't get the point of the thread.

Big point of college ball is playing at their place and then again at home.

I'm looking for ward to Uconn coming to Louisville. 20 minutes and I'm in the parking garage outside Yum Center.

When UConn visits Butler I'll have about 2.5 hour drive to the parking area.

Had wonderful seat this year but the VA called a couple hours before I was to leave, letting me know I was positive for omicron. So, I got to watch the game on TV. My grandkids other grandparents got to sit in my seats.

I hope that UConn gets to play as many teams in the top 10 during the regular season as can be scheduled. Special promotion for SC? Not needed.
Special promotion of SCar v. UConn is not needed for either school. However, women’s basketball needs better promotion and these two schools can help “the game.”

Reaction Score

The same was said after A'ja Wilson left and Dawn proved that she could maintain excellence and build another national championship team. I like this budding rivalry, with the Philly angle, recruiting battles (losing A'ja and Boston to Dawn, but I believe we got Stewie when Dawn recruited her), and overall excellence of the programs.

Reaction Score

I remember when UConn and Tenn played twice a season. It made wcbb a national sport.
There seem to be more HS players entering college with size and advanced skills and these players need to play against each other as much as possible.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Nah I prefer home and home, ideally twice a year but realistically once a year. Philly isn't a bad choice but I don't believe there's a big women's basketball fan base there, and I don't think there are large contingents of Geno/Dawn fans there (maybe Dawn due to playing there and coaching Temple, but I don't think enough would show up to fill an arena). I also think you're overestimating how well SC fans will travel for the game considering they only had 6500 in attendance for the Elite 8 game in Greensboro (3 hours from Columbia). Expecting their fans to make a 20 hour roundtrip drive for a 2 hour game is unrealistic for most.

Home atmospheres are just electric and bring out the best in college basketball IMO. Have a home game in SC and they'll fill up the arena with 18k fans. Play in Storrs/Hartford and UCONN fans will fill every seat. Huge home crowds will help grow the sport and draw in more fans on TV nationally.

Also, don't sell your program short--SC/UCONN is a legitimate rivalry.

Reaction Score
I also prefer home and home. The Philly idea is interesting. I've done that drive from central CT, it is doable.

Here's another idea. In what could be the biggest regular season game next year, why not put it on the biggest stage? Madison Square Garden. An easier drive than Philly. Like the UConn commercial says "and this is our backyard". Sorry Scar, not sorry.

Reaction Score
What issue are we trying to solve? Home and home series provide the students and fan base the maximum benefit. Let's not also forget that it provides added revenues for both schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom