Huskies to Honor Seniors, Rebecca Lobo Saturday | The Boneyard

Huskies to Honor Seniors, Rebecca Lobo Saturday

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn women's basketball team (26-2/14-0) hosts Houston (15-12/9-5) Saturday at 1 p.m. in the team's final regular season home game of 2018-19. The game will be broadcast on SNY/ESPN3 and the UConn Sports Network.

Pregame - the Huskies will honor seniors Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier. The two will be formally inducted into the Huskies of Honor, having already achieved first team All-America status, and have their jerseys revealed on that area of the wall. They've combined for 4,417 career points, and one or both of them currently rank in the top 10 of 13 categories in the program’s record book.

Samuelson (2248) is currently in 4th place on UConn's career scoring list, just 98 points behind Tina Charles (2346). Collier (2169) is just 10 points from moving into sole possession of 5th place on the list, right behind Samuelson. She should have those 10 points by halftime. Collier will pass Kerry Bascom (2177), Nykesha Sales and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis both with 2178 with her 10th point.

1551414647232.png

At halftime - UConn will retire the number 50 of Rebecca Lobo, the first Husky to earn the honor. Lobo was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2017. In her time in Storrs, she led UConn to the program's first NCAA Championship in 1995 and she was a two-time First Team All-American.

Seven things to know about UConn great Rebecca Lobo before her number is retired at Gampel Pavilion Saturday

She was the 1995 National Player of the Year and went on to win gold at the 1996 Olympic Games with the U.S. National Team. Both the pregame and halftime ceremonies will be shown on SNY. Fans attending the game should plan on being in their seats by 12:40 to watch the ceremony.

UConn-Houston Game Saturday is Officially Sold Out (per the UConn women's official website).

The rest of the story

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
KLS has achieved something that even Lobo didn't or any other player in NCAA div.1 history. That achievement is starting in a national semifinal game THREE different times including FR year UNDEFEATED. This accomplishment speaks to and depicts what KLS's game is all about and that is team play and team success. This season she has shown how her game helps her team to success in more ways than any other player in the country. Among the UConn starters she is: 1st in 3pt FGM, 2nd in 3pt%, 1st in FTM, 2nd in FT% (she has made more than twice as many as CD), 2nd in REB (her 7 PG is quite impressive since she plays the majority outside on both O & D), 2nd in AS, 2nd in A/TO ratio, 2nd in steals, 2nd in blocks. These stats show her game has no major negatives. Then there's her willingness to do whatever the team needs like playing anywhere on the floor and being the regular half court in bounder (which, of course, takes her out of the immediate scoring offense). Furthermore, may I add that if anyone thinks she would not average 3 more rebounds PG if she played up front all the time then you a being delusional.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
KLS has achieved something that Lobo or any other player in NCAA division 1 basketball history has never done. That achievement is starting in a national semifinal game THREE different times UNDEFEATED. This singular accomplishment speaks to and depicts what KLS's game is all about and that is team play and team success. This season she has shown how her game helps her team to success in more ways than any other player in the country. Among the UConn starters she is: 1st in 3pt FGM, 2nd in 3pt%, 1st in FTM, 2nd in FT% (she has made more than twice as many as CD), 2nd in REB (her 7 PG is quite impressive since she plays the majority outside on both O & D), 2nd in AS, 2nd in A/TO ratio, 2nd in steals, 2nd in blocks. These stats show her game has no major negatives. Then there's her willingness to do whatever the team needs like playing anywhere on the floor and being the regular half court in bounder (which, of course, takes her out of the immediate scoring offense). Furthermore, may I add that if anyone thinks she would not average 3 more rebounds PG if she played up front all the time then you a being delusional.
Unfortunately, Lou has never played in a national championship game. It is my sincere hope that particular hole in her resume is corrected this year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
As WCBB fans, and as UConn WBB fans, we have been blessed to watch these two grow and mature from wide-eyed teenage freshmen, to mature seniors who wanted to come to UConn, be coached by arguably the best coach ever in the history of WCBB, and win a championship.

They came with the same goal and mindset many of the greats that come through the program have, that is to be coached and become the best player they can be. It is widely known that If you come to UConn, Geno and staff will not allow you to cheat your potential.

Look at Lou when she arrived 4 years ago, and look at her now. Collier was noteworthy when she signed her LOI. She has become one of the most consistent and problematic players in the country. Problematic in that she can do everything. These two are the ones you have to game plan for if you play UConn.

They can hurt you because of their ability to score from anywhere on the court. They make plays on the other end of the court as well.

Collier has a motor similar to that of Mo-Jeff and Kia Nurse. She doesn’t get tired. They’re both like the ever ready bunny. They don’t take plays off and seldom turn the ball over. Collier has the best hands on the team. She doesn’t fumble or mishandle passes, not even bad ones. She is a rebounding machine and does not shy away from contact. Like Lou, she can bring the ball up.

Both of them will be top 5 WNBA draft picks because they’re winners, leaders and graduates of one of the most respected programs in the country. UConn graduates are coveted by WNBA coaches and GM’s as they are usually “plug n play.”

They understand the game, learn and adapt quickly and are very coachable. They will no doubt make an impact on their respective teams. In addition to everything mentioned above, they’re great people off the court as well.

They’re not divas with big egos or agendas. They’re just two ambitious and hard working young ladies who came to Storrs to get better, and help their team win. It's possible they can finish 3/4 on UConn's career scoring list if they can both surpass Charles who is currently in 3rd place (2346). They’ve combined for 4,417 career points (the most points for a duo in program history), and one or both of them currently rank in the top 10 of 13 categories in the program’s record book.

They will both be outstanding ambassadors for WCBB in general, UConn WBB specifically as well as the WNBA, because they love the game, they love people, and interacting with the fans and showing your appreciation of their support has been ingrained in them from their first day on campus. They’ll be coveted by overseas teams as well.

Associate head coach Chris Dailey said. “They both have that kind of personality where they’re both fun-loving. They like to joke around a lot, and they've been through the wars together. They depend on each other, and I think it’s nice to see. It’s fun to see, but when you’re coming up on senior night it kind of makes me sad to see that they’re not going to be with us that much longer. To watch both of their growth as players is one thing, but their growth as individuals is another thing. You couldn't ask for two more coachable players. They’re just a joy to have.”

To Geno, CD and staff, job well done!!! It’s too early to look ahead to next year, but damn, I miss them already. :(

Reaction Score
They’ll finish their college career next to each other on UConn’s top 5 scoring list at 4/5, unless Lou can surpass Tina Charles which I doubt.
Not to be argumentative, but Lou currently has 2248 points, and needs 98 to tie Tina and 99 to pass her total of 2346. With 2 more conference games, presumably 3 AAC Conference Games and presumably 4 - 6 in the NCAAT, I would think with as many as 11 games remaining, she will most likely pass Tina with relative ease.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not to be argumentative, but Lou currently has 2248 points, and needs 98 to tie Tina and 99 to pass her total of 2346. With 2 more conference games, presumably 3 AAC Conference Games and presumably 4 - 6 in the NCAAT, I would think with as many as 11 games remaining, she will most likely pass Tina with relative ease.

Your numbers are correct. Thanks for the correction. I do not want to be a harbinger of "fake news". I've been doing some research on my own this morning. I wasn't sure if UC had 2 or 3 games to play in the conference tourny. As the #1 seed, I know they get a bye.

Lou and Pheesa are only 24 points apart (Collier has 560 / Lou has 536) for the season, and 79 points apart career wise (Lou has 2248 / Collier has 2169).

Assuming they have at least 7 more games, Lou need only average 14 ppg to surpass Charles (2346) which is very doable. Collier needs 177 pts to pass Charles.

Collier would need to average 26 ppg the rest of the way to surpass Charles in the next 7 games. Not impossible given the roll she's on right now. Can they do it? :rolleyes: What a wonderful way to end their careers, to finish 3rd & 4th on the all time career scoring list. An achievement no one could ever take from them. I'm sure someone will come along and surpass their record. I hope that "someone" comes along real soon if you get my drift. Charles' record (2006-2010) has stood for 9 years.

With 2,169 points, tomorrow when Collier scores her 10th point, she will pass Kerry Bascom (2177), Nykesha Sales and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (2178) into sole possession of 5th place, right behind Samuelson who is now in 4th place, and looking over her glasses at Charles.

Bookending their career achievements with a NC their senior year would be the cherry on top of what has been a very successful four year run for them. THAT would put a nice bow on their season, and their careers at UConn. I'm going to keep track of their point totals the rest of the way and report them accordingly.

Reaction Score
UConn women's basketball team (26-2, 14-0 American) hosts Houston (15-12, 9-5) Saturday at 1 p.m. in the team's final regular season home game of 2018-19. The game will be broadcast on SNY/ESPN3 and the UConn Sports Network.
Pregame - the Huskies will honor seniors Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier. The two will have their jerseys put into the Huskies of Honor.

View attachment 40341

At halftime - UConn will retire the number of Rebecca Lobo, the first Husky to earn the honor. Lobo was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2017. In her time in Storrs, she led UConn to the program's first NCAA Championship in 1995 and she was a two-time First Team All-American. She was the 1995 National Player of the Year and went on to win gold at the 1996 Olympic Games with the U.S. National Team. Both the pregame and halftime ceremonies will be shown on SNY. Fans attending the game should plan on being in their seats by 12:40 to watch the ceremony.

UConn-Houston Game Saturday is Officially Sold Out (per the UConn women's official website).

The rest of the story

@Scoop Again, just great. I'm tearing up already.
Lobo's Number being so honored is a true HONOR. When Geno initiated the hanging of AA numbers in the rafters: (I may be mistaken, but I don't think so) Geno said he'd never
archive a number. That makes this a very very special tribute to the FIRST WBB Women of Connecticut (Mass). She had a big part to do with the original Womens Pro league and the WNBA, Women broadcasting, and representing this School and Team the country over. Amazing woman.. If only her MOM could see her now.

Carnac

Reaction Score
@Scoop Again, just great. I'm tearing up already.
Lobo's Number being so honored is a true HONOR. When Geno initiated the hanging of AA numbers in the rafters: (I may be mistaken, but I don't think so) Geno said he'd never archive a number. That makes this a very very special tribute to the FIRST WBB Women of Connecticut (Mass). She had a big part to do with the original Womens Pro league and the WNBA, Women broadcasting, and representing this School and Team the country over. Amazing woman.. If only her MOM could see her now.

Right!!! Thanks Broadway. As we grow older, we get wiser and sometimes change our perception and values. When he said that, he was not in the space where he is NOW.

When he reflects back now on what Lobo did and what she meant/means to to program, he no doubt values her and her accomplishments more now than he did 20 years ago. Basically, over the years, she grew on him.
Since she's already in the Huskies of Honor, the Women's BB HOF, and the Naismith HOF, what else is left that he could do? That's right, make her the first and only female player in school history to have her jersey number retired. When you're the first and only player to have your jersey retired, that's extra special.

UConn's inaugural season was 1974-75. That was 45 years ago. During that time, they've had some of the greatest players in the world come through their program. I wonder if it will be another 45 years before they retire the next jersey. :rolleyes:

That makes THIS Senior Day ceremony an extra special one, and why it's sold out!!! If you're a UConn fan, it's not one you want to miss. I wish I could be there. :)

Reaction Score
Assuming they have at least 7 more games, Lou need only average 14 ppg to surpass Charles (2346) which is very doable. Collier needs 177 pts to pass Charles.
Probably safe to assume they will at least 8 more games. That would include the sweet 16.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Probably safe to assume they will at least 8 more games. That would include the sweet 16.

Even better!!! With 8 more games, I know Lou can surpass Tina, Collier should be able to also. I'd really like to see them finish 3/4 on the career scoring list. Then, they would be together forever (for a while)..........................at least in the record book. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Even better!!! I'd really like to see them finish 3/4 on the career scoring list. Then, they would be together forever......at least in the record book. ;)
Maybe together until Christyn’s senior year. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Maybe together until Christyn’s senior year. :cool:

Knowing what it would take for Christyn to get there, I'd be OK with that!! I hope she partners with somebody else and together they challenge Lou and Napheesa's place in the record book. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Even better!!! With 8 more games, I know Lou can surpass Tina, Collier should be able to also. I'd really like to see them finish 3/4 on the career scoring list. Then, they would be together forever (for a while)......at least in the record book. ;)
I think they finish 3 and 4.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Is it fair to say that Lou and Pheesa--along with Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Gabby, Kia, Chong, et al--were members of the greatest NCAA women's basketball roster (the 2015-16 UConn team) of all time?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is it fair to say that Lou and Pheesa--along with Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Gabby, Kia, Chong, et al--were members of the greatest NCAA women's basketball roster (the 2015-16 UConn team) of all time?
I would agree with you, but you may have opened up a can of worms, particularly from those BY’ers that will argue that the 2001-02 team was the best of all time.

Reaction Score
The 2002 team didn't have Svetlana. Because of that I would say the 2001 team may have had the greatest roster in WCBB history. They, of course, didn't win the title but they lost Svet and Ralph for the post season and still got to the final four. That roster was so good that Taurasi came off the bench as as a FR.

Reaction Score
Great article about Lou and Phee:

Senior Day send-off for UConn’s dynamic duo, Collier & Katie Lou
By Doug Bonjour Updated 8:37 am EST, Saturday, March 2, 2019

STORRS — Napheesa Collier insists she’s not going to cry before her last regular-season game at Gampel Pavilion. Of course, that won’t surprise those who know the stoic, soft-spoken senior best.

“She’s probably not going to show a lot of emotion in public,” her mother, Sarah, said by phone. “She just doesn’t. With us, of course she (does).”

Saturday’s contest against Houston will be a celebration, not just for Collier or Rebecca Lobo — the Hall of Famer is having her number retired at halftime — but also for Katie Lou Samuelson. Two of the most accomplished seniors in UConn history will receive an appropriate send-off from an expected sellout crowd.

“I’m excited,” Napheesa explained. “I don’t see it as sad. Of course, I’m going to miss my teammates, but I’m proud of us for being here and I’m excited for the future.”

Collier and Samuelson — one a double-double machine and the other a lights-out shooter — will go down as iconic Huskies. They’ve won 136 games and lost only four, climbing up the school’s record books in the process. They’ve combined to score 4,418 points, more than any other pair of classmates in the fabled history of UConn’s program, and will be inducted into the Huskies of Honor.

[MUCH MORE]

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
There will be another surprise visitor at the game today. I think Lou is aware, but in case she isn't I wont mention the name. I am sure it will be mentioned on the broadcast. I don't think this person has ever been to Gampel.

Reaction Score
There will be another surprise visitor at the game today. I think Lou is aware, but in case she isn't I wont mention the name. I am sure it will be mentioned on the broadcast. I don't think this person has ever been to Gampel.
Nice... a little teaser for us all. Is it MOM??? Kobe???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom