Huskies Need to Regain Focus | The Boneyard

Huskies Need to Regain Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
“That was very disappointing,” Diaco said. “You had three instances of third down and short that turned into third down and long. That’s losing. Think about that, we were 0-9 on third down on the day, that we had an opportunity at the end of the game, to win the game. It’s incredible, it really is. Those are the things the guys need to see. There needs to be a higher level of detail and discipline, at the tight end position in particular, that needs to be a hallmark of how we play. We can’t do that, we can’t have those procedure penalties.”

So who is to be blamed for the lack of level of detail and discipline - the players or the coaches. The players didnt execute, correct?
:)

Just about every team in football will be 0-9 on 3rd down when you dont NOT run...

Reaction Score
I was watching on the sportscenter app. Every time I saw second and 1 become 3rd and 9 I shook my head. That isn't all play calling. We should at least be able to get zero yards.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
“That was very disappointing,” Diaco said. “You had three instances of third down and short that turned into third down and long. That’s losing. Think about that, we were 0-9 on third down on the day, that we had an opportunity at the end of the game, to win the game. It’s incredible, it really is. Those are the things the guys need to see. There needs to be a higher level of detail and discipline, at the tight end position in particular, that needs to be a hallmark of how we play. We can’t do that, we can’t have those procedure penalties.”

So who is to be blamed for the lack of level of detail and discipline - the players or the coaches. The players didnt execute, correct?

Just about every team in football will be 0-9 on 3rd down when you dont NOT run...

He should have handed off to the tight end!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Clearly you have never heard of Donald Brown or Andre Dixon. Plenty of teams had no chance stopping them when they knew a run was coming ie: 4th and 1 against Pitt in our own territory?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Clearly you have never heard of Donald Brown or Andre Dixon. Plenty of teams had no chance stopping them when they knew a run was coming ie: 4th and 1 against Pitt in our own territory?

I actual have heard of those players - believe it or not!!

But right now, as it stands, there isnt a player that can be compared to those two, nor are the offensive lineman comparable to what those two greats had.

But if you think our line is comparable at this point - I wont wake you up from the dream.

Now, I think we have a back or two that could be really special down the road like those two guys you mentioned -Black and Dotson - but I dont think you value my opinion...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, as a guy who was in the stands for this game, I think the run can be pretty unstoppable, even when you know it is coming.

The Cornhuskers trailed the upstart Jayhawks, 17-0, and star I-back Derek Brown had just gone to the bench for good because of blurred vision. But then along came Jones.
Redshirt freshman I-back Calvin Jones charged off the bench to rewrite the Nebraska and Big Eight record books and ignite the Huskers to a 59-23 victory that kept them unbeaten in the Big Eight at 4-0-1 and raised their season record to 7-1-1. When it was over, Jones had rushed for a Nebraska record of 294 yards on 27 carries, and scored a Big Eight-record six touchdowns for another record of 36 points — all in less than three quarters of play. Jones broke the old NU rushing record of 285 by Heisman Trophy winner Mike Rozier.
And you can say, well Kansas sucks. But that team was 6-5 and had two future (very good) NFL DTs in Dana Stubblefield and Gilbert Brown. Jones was a man possessed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I actual have heard of those players - believe it or not!!

But right now, as it stands, there isnt a player that can be compared to those two, nor are the offensive lineman comparable to what those two greats had.

But if you think our line is comparable at this point - I wont wake you up from the dream.

Now, I think we have a back or two that could be really special down the road like those two guys you mentioned -Black and Dotson - but I dont think you value my opinion...

It isn't just calling runs, it is the runs that are called. All the runs on Friday were up-the-middle line dives straight out of the Deleone playbook of trying to get our 1,500 pounds of linemen to move the defense's 1,200 pounds of linemen and leaving the carrier dancing behind the sumo match while linebackers bring him down. There are very few teams in college football that still try to move piles of people to get yards. We need to get the backs outside and then use counters and draws to mix it up in the middle of the field.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
It isn't just calling runs, it is the runs that are called. All the runs on Friday were up-the-middle line dives straight out of the Deleone playbook of trying to get our 1,500 pounds of linemen to move the defense's 1,200 pounds of linemen and leaving the carrier dancing behind the sumo match while linebackers bring him down. There are very few teams in college football that still try to move piles of people to get yards. We need to get the backs outside and then use counters and draws to mix it up in the middle of the field.
agree - a pitch to a halfback running off tackle might be the first of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom