Huskies in the Pros (Baseball) | Page 44 | The Boneyard

Huskies in the Pros (Baseball)

Reaction Score
Thank you huskymedic, you are correct. I was not talking about UConn route but talking about the route that Christian is taking in regards to pro baseball career.

There are other former UConn players who are playing in independent league baseball as well besides Christian Fedko. A few that come to mind are LJ Mazzilli, Mike Woodworth, and Aaron Hill. No doubt there are others as well

Reaction Score
There are other former UConn players who are playing in independent league baseball as well besides Christian Fedko. A few that come to mind are LJ Mazzilli, Mike Woodworth, and Aaron Hill. No doubt there are others as well
Thank you. Talk of independent league baseball made me think of John Toppa. He was just announced as a fulltime assistance coach at Cornell. He was a volunteer coach during 2022 season. Congratulations to John.

Reaction Score
Thank you. Talk of independent league baseball made me think of John Toppa. He was just announced as a fulltime assistance coach at Cornell. He was a volunteer coach during 2022 season. Congratulations to John.

Always good to see a former UConn baseball player get into the collegiate coaching ranks, especially a player like Toppa who developed into a terrific player while he was at UConn. Another addition for the Coach Penders coaching tree.

Reaction Score

Backdoor curve <<

->
Winkel has certainly been surrounded by familiar company. Kyler Fedko, his teammate and roommate for three years at UConn, is hitting .258 with 10 homers as one of the Kernels’ starting outfielders. Shortstop Anthony Prato, an ex-UConn teammate of both players, was a teammate again in Cedar Rapids before being promoted to Double-A Wichita in early June.

And just a couple of days before the Field of Dreams game, both Winkel and Fedko got to face yet another former UConn teammate when Caleb Wurster was called up to High-A Beloit. In his first relief appearance for the Snappers, Wurster pitched one inning and faced both Winkel and Fedko. He struck out Winkel but surrendered an RBI single to Fedko.

“That’s an uncomfortable at-bat for a lefty,” Winkel noted, “I don’t care who you are.”

Wurster was sent back down to Class-A Jupiter a couple of days later. Still, it was a pretty remarkable night in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

“To have three guys on the same field, in the same inning, it’s kind of funny,” said Winkel, “and it gives a little nod to what UConn’s doing over there, to have three guys in the same league up here performing and getting good results.”<-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom