Huskies in the Pros (Baseball) | Page 35 | The Boneyard

Huskies in the Pros (Baseball)

Reaction Score
Ciaran Devenney has signed with the Gary Southshore Railcats of the independent American Association per the league transactions page

Reaction Score
Very odd. If he waited a couple of more months, he would have been able to field offers from numerous teams. Two years plus a club option is not a very friendly player contract for a 31 year old.

Reaction Score
Very odd. If he waited a couple of more months, he would have been able to field offers from numerous teams. Two years plus a club option is not a very friendly player contract for a 31 year old.

-> “I just wanted a fair contract for what I was doing…This is just a place I wanted to stay,” Barnes told reporters.

“There really wasn’t a place I wanted to play that wasn’t Boston…The grass isn’t always greener on the other side,” he added later. <-

Reaction Score
-> “I just wanted a fair contract for what I was doing…This is just a place I wanted to stay,” Barnes told reporters.

“There really wasn’t a place I wanted to play that wasn’t Boston…The grass isn’t always greener on the other side,” he added later. <-
This ^. He's a local kid and can see his family when ever he wants and they can get to so many games in Boston or in the AL East. At what point does chasing the money not become worth it. He (and his future generations) are set for life.

Reaction Score
This ^. He's a local kid and can see his family when ever he wants and they can get to so many games in Boston or in the AL East. At what point does chasing the money not become worth it. He (and his future generations) are set for life.
He is set for life. And his kids. But that is not multi-generation money unless he has a great money manager. Uncle Sam takes about 50% so cut those numbers in half. It's a very nice payday. He probably could have gone north of $50 million at the end of the year.

But this is what he wanted so good for him. Happiness and health are more important than money. He seems like a very grounded guy who knows his priorities. All the best to Matt.

Reaction Score
He is set for life. And his kids. But that is not multi-generation money unless he has a great money manager. Uncle Sam takes about 50% so cut those numbers in half. It's a very nice payday. He probably could have gone north of $50 million at the end of the year.

But this is what he wanted so good for him. Happiness and health are more important than money. He seems like a very grounded guy who knows his priorities. All the best to Matt.
But that’s my point. Where is the line drawn? He’s already made over 9M dollars prior to this deal. If he were to just live off the 9M (even next of tax), take this contract (say 8M after tax) and sock it away in an investment, even at a conservative 7% that’s over 60M in 30 years. Plenty for future generations.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But that’s my point. Where is the line drawn? He’s already made over 9M dollars prior to this deal. If he were to just live off the 9M (even next of tax), take this contract (say 8M after tax) and sock it away in an investment, even at a conservative 7% that’s over 60M in 30 years. Plenty for future generations.
Sidebar; As I get older it’s becoming more evident creating wealth for future generations is a nice thing to do but it’s far from a problem solver. A lot of under achieving people out there sort of coasting while waiting for the rest of that generational money created years ago. I would never advocate not saving for future generations- but with everyday I get more skeptical it’s not without its own pitfalls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom