Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
An annual tradition.

DDQoVnqXcAAlvtr.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"Slowly, we've seen each of them become more comfortable," Kate Lou Samuelson said. "Mikayla, compared to the first time we played pickup, has done a lot more with the ball and she's not afraid to attack. I think each of them are getting more comfortable just playing as themselves rather than playing like,  oh what can I do to not make people upset. I think they're kind of all learning and just getting better each day."

Coombs said the group calls itself the "Fantastic Four."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...nn-womens-basketball-0627-20170626-story.html

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Other than Lou--and the short guy in the middle--they really are all the same height.

If they want to learn to play golf or basketball, they should listen to Coach. If they want to learn about effort, they should watch Gabby.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Other than Lou--and the short guy in the middle--they really are all the same height.

If they want to learn to play golf or basketball, they should listen to Coach. If they want to learn about effort, they should watch Gabby.

First height post sighting of summer season. A vital tradition.

PS. Is that emblem on their shirts a stylized 4!?

Reaction Score
Gabby Williams could earn a lot more money as a pro golfer than she would ever earn playing basketball. She has the athleticism (hand-eye coordination/fast twitch muscles/body control) and the mental discipline to master the game. And you can play golf professionally into your 40's.

Just wait a year Gabby. :)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Courant article has been pulled down and a longer one replaces it. Lots of good stuff. http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn...nn-womens-basketball-0627-20170626-story.html

But until you're in Storrs playing for the program built by Auriemma and Chris Dailey, you never know what you're in for. Even if you're the Fantastic Four.

"It's crazy," Walker said. "We train at a different level. When you experience it, you can kind of see why we perform at the level we do." We?

Reaction Score

I was going to say the same thing ,
Everyone gains some inches except Katie Lou.

Reaction Score
Courant article has been pulled down and a longer one replaces it. Lots of good stuff. http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn...nn-womens-basketball-0627-20170626-story.html

But until you're in Storrs playing for the program built by Auriemma and Chris Dailey, you never know what you're in for. Even if you're the Fantastic Four.

"It's crazy," Walker said. "We train at a different level. When you experience it, you can kind of see why we perform at the level we do." We?
that link was also dead (at least for me), Rocky.
this worked for me:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...tball-0627-20170626-story.html#nt=oft02a-2la1

also this:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-incoming-freshmen-20170626-photogallery.html

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I can't wait for the season to start. I said it more than once, and I will say it again...I would love to see Geno do what Doug Bruno did year before last. Start 5 replace with 4, because with the upcoming team I really believe it could be pulled off. The teams would really be confused and unable to keep up :).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Detailed Jacobs piece on Azura Stevens with the Google link to bypass the Courant's wall:

"When she started with us, her first week or two of practice, we kept talking about, man, we've got to get Z to play at a different pace," Auriemma said. "We've got to get her to play at our pace. Every once in a while we could see it. For a week or so, you'd say, 'Wow!' She dominated all of our practices. There's a way she does it.

"It's not like Breanna Stewart did it. We've been fortunate to have both, but she's different than Stewy. She's got a different look to her the way she plays. The players tell me in pickup games, she doesn't like getting beat up. So they beat her up every day. Then she turns it on against them. I'm excited for her. I'm excited for us. We had a great last year, and now you add somebody like that to the mix, we have a chance to do some really special things."

Stevens said UConn's practices were tough in the beginning. It's not that they got easier, but more that she adjusted to the regimen.

"The main thing is the pace which I play has changed a lot," Stevens said. "Playing for UConn, you play at a different pace than pretty much every other program in the country. And working on things I'm not necessarily as comfortable with, dribbling, solidifying more of my back to the basket moves and having that kind of dominance."

"I play inside. I play outside. It depends on the matchup. If I have a smaller girl, obviously, I'm going to post her up. Most girls my size, I try to bring them outside the three-point line and just go around them. Use my quickness in that type of way.

"It honestly doesn't matter, although I've grown to like inside a little bit more here. I'm 6-6. I don't want to camp out at the three-point line. The highest percentage shot is the layup. But I always try to mix it up."

https://www.google.com/#q=azura+stevens+uconn&tbs=qdr:w

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Detailed Jacobs piece on Azura Stevens with the Google link to bypass the Courant's wall:

"When she started with us, her first week or two of practice, we kept talking about, man, we've got to get Z to play at a different pace," Auriemma said. "We've got to get her to play at our pace. Every once in a while we could see it. For a week or so, you'd say, 'Wow!' She dominated all of our practices. There's a way she does it.

"It's not like Breanna Stewart did it. We've been fortunate to have both, but she's different than Stewy. She's got a different look to her the way she plays. The players tell me in pickup games, she doesn't like getting beat up. So they beat her up every day. Then she turns it on against them. I'm excited for her. I'm excited for us. We had a great last year, and now you add somebody like that to the mix, we have a chance to do some really special things."

Stevens said UConn's practices were tough in the beginning. It's not that they got easier, but more that she adjusted to the regimen.

"The main thing is the pace which I play has changed a lot," Stevens said. "Playing for UConn, you play at a different pace than pretty much every other program in the country. And working on things I'm not necessarily as comfortable with, dribbling, solidifying more of my back to the basket moves and having that kind of dominance."

"I play inside. I play outside. It depends on the matchup. If I have a smaller girl, obviously, I'm going to post her up. Most girls my size, I try to bring them outside the three-point line and just go around them. Use my quickness in that type of way.

"It honestly doesn't matter, although I've grown to like inside a little bit more here. I'm 6-6. I don't want to camp out at the three-point line. The highest percentage shot is the layup. But I always try to mix it up."

Google

You did it again. So I did it again; didn't see it and started a new thread on the article. Sorry. but you should consider giving such their own threads.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
but you should consider giving such their own threads.

I try to keep from making a zillion threads if possible. This interview seems to have taken place at the golf outing so I figured this was as good a place as any to put it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom