Hurricane Matthew | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurricane Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sea Island, Georgia through Charleston, SC are going to flood badly. 7'-11' surge plus the waves will literally swamp that area. Anyone who has ever driven I-95 knows that part of the country is all low lands, inlets, bays and bayous. Water has nowhere to go but inland.

Reaction Score
14930.jpg

Reaction Score
Sea Island, Georgia through Charleston, SC are going to flood badly. 7'-11' surge plus the waves will literally swamp that area. Anyone who has ever driven I-95 knows that part of the country is all low lands, inlets, bays and bayous. Water has nowhere to go but inland.
Yup and they've never really had a hurricane. Winds will diminish but it won't matter.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yup and they've never really had a hurricane. Winds will diminish but it won't matter.

well flooding is a horrible thing but 140 mile an hour winds tearing through properties on the coast line in addition to that flooding now not happening seems to be a good thing I think?

Reaction Score
I hope it doesn't head north, although the wind and rain might finally get rid of the cranes that sit in the trees and poop all over everything.. during Sandy officials went door to door and told everyone in the area to evacuate. We took our dog and headed north to NH to my son's place for the night. Went home the next day. Luckily if the wind had blown in another direction we would have been under water. Hard to be lucky twice.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
lol this is one way to get the message across

Reaction Score
well flooding is a horrible thing but 140 mile an hour winds tearing through properties on the coast line in addition to that flooding now not happening seems to be a good thing I think?
Tell that to the people who dealt with Katrina and Sandy, two nasty b*tches.

Reaction Score
15" of rain in the eastern Carolinas + more rain upstream + post-storm surge flooding in low lying areas + continued stormy seas = not good, but effective early evacuations helped avoid more potential casualties

Reaction Score
that was a sick storm.....it actually hit CT on Oct 29....the combination of heavy snow and leaves on the trees....what a disaster.

In NJ, we were still cleaning-up from Irene, which had decided to empowered the Ramapo River in my town to do a lot of home remodeling. And about a year later, Sandy hit. Just crappy weather for those two years. My kids weren't even allowed to go trick-or-treating in '11 and '12.

PS - The December 2008 Ice Storm, which I was in NH for, was worse than Snowtober. I went out that morning and nearly had to change my pants watching and hearing these 50 foot pine trees just snap all around us. We lived on a dead-end street on the townline and thus were without power for 2 weeks. Luckily for me, I already had a portable 5K power generator that I rigged to run through my dryer outlet and chained to a nearby tree. That allowed me to runt the well pump, furnace, refrigerator, oven, and a few electrical outlets. We took warm showers every other day when I turned everything else off and filled the hot water tank. I was also able to clear enough trees off the road with some help to be able to drive to the gas station (luckily I did not lose power with Sandy as it was impossible for over a week to get gas) and back daily to refill the pair of 10 gallon gas tanks I have. I was one of 3 houses (of maybe 30) on our street that had power. My wife was very appreciative. I did see a few people drive by the house slowly looking at my generator so on Days 2 and 3, so I hung a sign in front of the generator with 'it will take you longer to cut this chain than it will take me to aim and fire the Remington that I have' in large print. On day 4 or 5, a Cop stopped by to check to insure my generator would not 'spill' carbon monoxide into the house and did not say a thing about my sign.

Reaction Score
15" of rain in the eastern Carolinas + more rain upstream + post-storm surge flooding in low lying areas + continued stormy seas = not good, but effective early evacuations helped avoid more potential casualties

I saw on the Weather Channel a woman and her baby being rescued in Fayetteville. That is probably 100 miles from the coast so there is obviously no evacuation , you can't evacuate half of a state. I remember after Irene hit here it headed up to Vermont and crushed it. There really is nothing you can do.

Reaction Score
In NJ, we were still cleaning-up from Irene, which had decided to empowered the Ramapo River in my town to do a lot of home remodeling. And about a year later, Sandy hit. Just crappy weather for those two years. My kids weren't even allowed to go trick-or-treating in '11 and '12.

PS - The December 2008 Ice Storm, which I was in NH for, was worse than Snowtober. I went out that morning and nearly had to change my pants watching and hearing these 50 foot pine trees just snap all around us. We lived on a dead-end street on the townline and thus were without power for 2 weeks. Luckily for me, I already had a portable 5K power generator that I rigged to run through my dryer outlet and chained to a nearby tree. That allowed me to runt the well pump, furnace, refrigerator, oven, and a few electrical outlets. We took warm showers every other day when I turned everything else off and filled the hot water tank. I was also able to clear enough trees off the road with some help to be able to drive to the gas station (luckily I did not lose power with Sandy as it was impossible for over a week to get gas) and back daily to refill the pair of 10 gallon gas tanks I have. I was one of 3 houses (of maybe 30) on our street that had power. My wife was very appreciative. I did see a few people drive by the house slowly looking at my generator so on Days 2 and 3, so I hung a sign in front of the generator with 'it will take you longer to cut this chain than it will take me to aim and fire the Remington that I have' in large print. On day 4 or 5, a Cop stopped by to check to insure my generator would not 'spill' carbon monoxide into the house and did not say a thing about my sign.

I don't remember that storm but when I looked it up I saw that the NH utility was a subsidiary of Northeast Utilities. Go figure.

Reaction Score
As you should be, hope you have a great time!
I don't remember that storm but when I looked it up I saw that the NH utility was a subsidiary of Northeast Utilities. Go figure.

I can't really blame them for that storm. When the big steel transmissions lines start coming down, which they did in NH and parts of Mass and upstate NY, getting power back is going to take a while. I lived about 1/2 mile from the main road. It took 4 guys with chainsaws (and 1 guy without covering our backs in case one of those pines came down on us) about 5 hours to cut our way through and most of the power wires were in the road or hanging to side side for the entire stretch.

Reaction Score
Some may believe half a state cannot be evacuated, perhaps reasonably in typical scenarios, but several inches of rain deluged eastern NC with massive rainfall totals the week before Matthew and a 200-year flooding event consequently occurred in Fayatteville before Matthew even arrived in US waters. As weather forecasters forewarned people in eastern NC, including the Fayatteville area, NC's governor expanded existing states of emergency in Fayatteville's county and nearby area days before Matthew arrived.

Even in areas already heavily saturated, sometimes basic common sense helps with or without formal evacuations. For example, watching and responding to forecasts and government alerts. Or, getting out of Dodge long before getting in a car and not being driven directly into broadly flooded roads during a hurricane as a driver did before abandoning the unfortunate mother and child in Fayatteville. Fortunately, 100s of thousands of people were smart enough to head way inland from eastern Carolinas, GA, and FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom