Hurricane Irene and the Rent | The Boneyard

Hurricane Irene and the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a buddy who lives not too far from Rentschler and has been without power since the storm hit. Does anyone know if they have power there? Also, I heard on the radio today that the National Guard is utilizing the parking lot to distribute supplies to municipalities. Any chance the game gets cancelled due to the recovery effort?

Reaction Score
Per the UConn Huskies facebook site:

"Rentschler Field Update: Power was never lost at the field over the weekend - no damage was done just very wet from the rain. Parking lots will be ready for tailgating and field will be ready for play on Thursday!"

Reaction Score
My firehouse abuts Pratt property and has power. Silver Ln also has power. Brewer st. was without power as of last night. I'd be pretty confident that it'll go on as scheduled. There was very little damage up this way, just more of an inconvenience. The only factor that could stand in the way is when the flood waters from the northern new england states gets here. The stadium is actually below the water table. To date, they have not lost power to their underground pumps that constantly pump the water out from the field (they're located under the metal covers behind the endzone on the south side of the stadium.) Worst case scenario would be that the river causes the levee system in east hartford to fail... that would be catastrophic. But I don't know what the river level is expected to be. I haven't heard any doomsday scenarios thrown around, so I'd imagine that it's not going to be any worse than spring thaw... who knows though.

Reaction Score
For some reason I dont think they care about a Uconn football game

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Wow theres a million places they could give out supplies but they pick the only place in the state hosting a major sporting event :mad:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well... not to be a d*ck but I think the National Guard doing disaster relief (and even if Irene wasn't as devastating as advertised, there ARE people who lost their homes in the state and other states) takes precedence over sports, even UConn football. I'm guessing that Rentschler made an attractive distribution site due to loads of space near I84, I91, Rt 2 and 9, not far from the airport.

Hopefully they can have it ready for saturday...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They should try and use a different lot?

Mix in 15,000 cars on the roadways and how do they get to another lot if they have to? It would slow down the NG stuff.

Reaction Score
Why couldn't they use a highschool or municipal field somewhere? Would this happen in the south? Truely sad.

Reaction Score
I understand the seriousness of the storm and its implications however this is ridiculous. I couldname 25 suitable locations off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom