Hurley's X's and O's | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley's X's and O's

Reaction Score
Not sure what Hurley can do with this group. Perhaps Adams is fragile and Hurley knows it. The announcers talked about Hurley not happy with selfish, look at me play but then the players still were trying to put up highlights. These are Ollie's boys and all that comes with that. Remember Ollie rarely pulled his players when they were mistake proned or playing selfishly. If Hurley pushes the wrong buttons with this group he'll lose them 'forever'. I bet its delicate. He a new boss with a job to do, with old employees who didn't like to work and aren't used to working together.

Already thought, he's done a job on Vital who is nowhere near the player he was last year. Cobb 'was' looking better too. AG is new and still playing like he hasn't left high school, so to that end he's a freshman adjusting to D1 play. Hurley had to assign Jalen to the leadership role but Jalen is not that kind of leader. Carlton looks better this year when playing mid majors.

Just saying there is improvement, and maybe that should be enough this year. Forget NCAA Tourney and focus on the direction of the team. I'm more enthused and engaged this year, even looking forward to watching each game. Last year I would have my laptop out multi-tasking and sometimes even have the game on as background noise. Perhaps I will lower my expectations and just enjoy the transformation and hopefully the beginning of something special.

If we are better this year than last year and considering the past couple of years, then I will label this squad a success in spite of all of our pimples. In two years I expect all of us to be in a happy place. Our incoming freshman class will be exciting but they too will take a year or so to adjust.

Its a new chapter folks, the book isn't finished but its becoming an enjoyable read.

I agree that Coach Hurley is walking a fine line with Ollie's players. The thing is that he will be uncompromising in his level of expectation. I completely disagree with your take on Vital. He has been a better player this year. He was our best player today.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of valid points of view here. I see it as follows:

A coach's performance and responsibility falls into a few different areas that basically form a pyramid.

1) At the bottom is effort and toughness. 2) Above that is general basketball IQ. 3) At the top is specific X's and O's sets and execution. You need #1 before you can coach #2, and you need both of those before you can instill #3. Ollie was an abject failure at all of them.

Hurley has clearly been emphasizing #1, and succeeding. He has the guys playing hard when they were used to rolling over at the sign of adversity.

Now he needs to shift gears and coach up the team in terms of basketball IQ. Unfortunately, some of this is innate -- and KO didn't necessarily recruit for this, so a lot of the holdovers are lacking. And some of it can be eroded by bad habits that have accumulated over the last few years.

But while Hurley has generally been positive so far as long as guys have been showing effort, he needs to start cracking down on the low-IQ play, dumb turnovers, carelessness with the ball, getting lost on defense, over-helping/switching, etc.

Bringing in new players next year will help, but he needs to start showing something in the basketball IQ area this year as well. Coaching intensity isn't enough.

Reaction Score
I agree that Coach Hurley is walking a fine line with Ollie's players. The thing is that he will be uncompromising in his level of expectation. I completely disagree with your take on Vital. He has been a better player this year. He was our best player today.
I agree, I say that but could have made it clearer.

Reaction Score
The talent isn't there. The biggest difference will be made when we start getting guys in like Akok, Bouknight, etc.

If you really think Bouknight and Gaffney are much more talented than Jalen and Gilbert, then where do I find some of that delusion of grandeur?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If you really think Bouknight and Gaffney are much more talented than Jalen and Gilbert, then where do I find some of that delusion of grandeur?

So you’re saying Hurley will develop talent at the same clip as Ollie? Because after talent you need to be able to develop it into something. Sure jalen has more talent but look how he plays...

Reaction Score
So you’re saying Hurley will develop talent at the same clip as Ollie? Because after talent you need to be able to develop it into something. Sure jalen has more talent but look how he plays...

No. What I'm saying is:

Sorry if that was unclear the first time.

Jalen was a ridiculous winner in high school and Gilbert was a McD, yet posters are already convinced that late top 100 recruits will be much better as soon as stepping on court. As if UConn has ever been led by freshmen before.

PS, I think its adorable when you guys think RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson are walking through the door next year. I just want some of those drugs, thats all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I dont like to get to caught up on the X’s and O’s when it comes to offense. People rave about Phil Jackson being a genius with “The Triangle”. Thats non sense because what it came down to was...give the ball to Jordan, then get the ball to Kobe or throw it down low to Shaq. If and when Hurley can get good offensive players in here who can execute and make shots, he will look like a great X’s and O’s coach.

Reaction Score
He’s been at least our second best player for 3 games

Reaction Score
On the one hand, Hurley came to UConn as a successful mid-major coach, and after 13 games, has proven himself still a successful mid-major coach. In fact, he is an unbeaten 8-0. It is early to make an assessment beyond that.

The case that it is early is provided by the experience of Jim Calhoun.

Calhoun came to UConn as a successful mid-major coach, and after three seasons was 47-46, one third of the wins against mid-majors. In other words, still a successful mid-major coach. While he started his 4th season 10-3, it was largely against mid-majors and included an 0-2 start in the Big East with a blow-out 93-62 loss at St. John's. The 4th season turned out to be the "Dream Season."

Based on Calhoun's start, would you have successfully predicted his career as a high-level D1 coach?

Reaction Score
On the one hand, Hurley came to UConn as a successful mid-major coach, and after 13 games, has proven himself still a successful mid-major coach. In fact, he is an unbeaten 8-0. It is early to make an assessment beyond that.

Calhoun came to UConn as a successful mid-major coach, and after three seasons was 47-46, one third of the wins against mid-majors. In other words, still a successful mid-major coach. While he started his 4th season 10-3, it was largely against mid-majors and included an 0-2 start in the Big East with a blow-out 93-62 loss at St. John's. The 4th season turned out to be the "Dream Season."

Based on Calhoun's start, would you have successfully predicted his career as a high-level D1 coach?

Coaches learn too. Hurley will grow--he has at every school he's been to.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

We would all be much happier if people hadn’t started shouting out Calhoun comparisons the moment Hurley was hired. That’s an unfair standard that no new hire should be held to.

Reaction Score
What about a lineup change?

I think we have consistently seen Jalen play better when he runs the point. Maybe that partially explains why he is playing so poorly. He needs the ball in his hands more?

Jalen
CV
Sid
Polley
Cobb/Carlton

Or

Jalen
AG
CV
Polley
Cobb/Carlton

Less times with Jalen off the ball. If Jalen is in the game he should run the show. Less minutes to TS and BA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, every recruit is Jordan, or Abdul-Jabar before they get on campus. You've been on the BY since 2014, surely you know this by now.

That said it will be nice to have a solid core of big guards next year to complement Al.

Reaction Score
No. What I'm saying is:

Sorry if that was unclear the first time.

Jalen was a ridiculous winner in high school and Gilbert was a McD, yet posters are already convinced that late top 100 recruits will be much better as soon as stepping on court. As if UConn has ever been led by freshmen before.

PS, I think its adorable when you guys think RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson are walking through the door next year. I just want some of those drugs, thats all.

That isn't really the point. I think most expect Gilbert to be a huge part of the future. Same with Sid. The point is we need to, and have begun to upgrade the overall talent level

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That isn't really the point. I think most expect Gilbert to be a huge part of the future. Same with Sid. The point is we need to, and have begun to upgrade the overall talent level

Sure. Mostly in the front court. All this Jalen Sucks talk is nonsense. He has been very good in most games and very efficient. But he wasn't that play in 2 of the last 3. Nobody coming in next year is going to be an immediate upgrade on Adams. Not even close.

I honestly never much loved Calhoun's offenses, especially late in his career. But basketball was different in the 90's on 00's than it is now. Ollie ran an offense straight out of 1991. Hurley's is better than that, but it's lacking something. If you are relying on your guy to beat his man one on one, in order for the offense to work....in 2018, then you aren't running a modern offense.

I think he's a great coach and a perfect fit. I am not really worried. I think it's mostly going to take some time before these guys "get it" and run the offense properly. So many horrible habits, bad rushed or guarded shots, not passing the ball, not moving off the ball, ball screeners rolling long before the guard gets to the screen. I'll add that in many cases these turnovers come because the guys think "I need to pass" and throw it away. Sometimes they pass up easy shots and throw the ball away, then the next time they should pass and force it. At moments they look good and it works. Then the defense adjusts and they go back to bad habits.

What this team could really use is a coach on the floor level player. Hoped Gilbert would be that but not so far. We obviously also need a front court that can catch and score. Somebody like Shonn Miller would make this team so much better.

Reaction Score
To me this is not complicated. We don't have a consistent inside presence. Some good teams don't have this. But what they have is 3 or 4 really good consistent outside shooters.

We have neither. So what Villanova did yesterday (and Hurley said this after the game) was either switch every screen or play zone and sag off the big inside. If you don't have the personnel to beat this, you could be John Wooden as a coach. You won't succeed.

Hurley is recruiting to his style. Bouknight and Gaffney are plus athletes who can shoot. They will need to get stronger. But I think they will be solid 3-4 years players who will win a lot of games.

Akok needs to get stronger, but once he does, he is going to be a nightmare matchup. A 6-10 guy who can block shots, get out and run and shoot is tough to defend.

Getting Kofi is the key. You have a guy like that down low, and it changes everything. Teams can't suddenly go zone or switch on ball screens.

This will take time. I don't know what to expect in conference. I think it will be up and down. Again, I will say that Iowa, Florida State and Nova are better than any team in our league.

Reaction Score
I thought his offense at URI sucked. It was isolation heavy. A marginal upgrade over what Ollie ran. His defense is better, once these guys learn how to play it.

That said, he clearly called for us to feed the post early, and we did. Those were bad passes to Carlton and our first turnovers of the game. Other passes inside also lead to turnovers. Cobb could have helped. Nova could extend their man as far as necessary because there were no players running backdoor or cutting. Watched them against KU and the Jayhawks killed them with those kinds of plays.

I think Dan is a very smart guy. I think he knows basketball and will, over time, run an offense that can adapt and score against any defense. He will need the right players to do that. Our guards can’t get free because there is no inside threat, and nobody like Polley moving enough to create openings. Polley needs to be running around like Rip out there. Instead he’s an absolute statue, acting like he’s Shaq or something.
Exactly, Nova played our guards fairly tight and they were unable to move the ball, get off clean shots, or find open lanes to pass. Our lack of an inside game allows teams to overload the perimeter. Hurley wanted to go down low early, our guards couldn’t/didn’t get the ball down low and our centers are not able to create space. We need some bigs. Cobb not playing hurt us.

Also, they didn’t utilize Polley, he was open in the corner often and our guards either where head down to drive or chose to pass it back around the other way.

Reaction Score
ball movement has been bad and offensive setS?? Have not seen many. Not going to call for Hurley's head, but hope he is on a short leash.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom