Hurley's X's and O's | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley's X's and O's

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Same team as last year.. bound to expose itself sooner or later... help is on the way next year! This year is house money!
I too think things will be better next year, but that’s no excuse for doing less than should be done with this year’s team. Several of these guys will be on the team next year. They may also need to be leaders.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
That isn't really the point. I think most expect Gilbert to be a huge part of the future. Same with Sid. The point is we need to, and have begun to upgrade the overall talent level
I can think of a number of teams with highly rated recruits that underperform. It takes coaching too. I’m not saying that with better x&o we don’t need better talent. I’m saying let’s not just rely on talent. You can’t be a championship team on talent alone.

Reaction Score
ball movement has been bad and offensive setS?? Have not seen many. Not going to call for Hurley's head, but hope he is on a short leash.

He is. If he doesn't make the second weekend of the NCAAT this year, pretty sure he gone.

Reaction Score
ball movement has been bad and offensive setS?? Have not seen many. Not going to call for Hurley's head, but hope he is on a short leash.
short leash? Lmao, firing Hurley would be the death of UConn basketball

Reaction Score
Complaining about Hurley is absurd. In game adjustments are effective when you have talent and depth. Hurley does not have that luxury. Do yourselves a favor and make a copy of this roster. Four years from now maybe three guys from this current team would even be part of that rotation. Seriously, we have no front court and no depth behind our back court. Try making adjustments with that. That's right, you can't.

Reaction Score
I can think of a number of teams with highly rated recruits that underperform. It takes coaching too. I’m not saying that with better x&o we don’t need better talent. I’m saying let’s not just rely on talent. You can’t be a championship team on talent alone.

Yea in that movie he also said "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones." Lets give him a chance to get his guys in here, because right now there's a lot of flaws with this roster

Reaction Score
I too think things will be better next year, but that’s no excuse for doing less than should be done with this year’s team. Several of these guys will be on the team next year. They may also need to be leaders.
Me thinks those who will be on the team will be pushed further down the bench.. no worries, be happy

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
Bringing this post back after the games against SMU & Cincy. I think we are seeing, in addition to the grittier, more determined play, a little better structure on offense. Guys seem to know their roles better, and I’m seeing space created for drives. Particularly early in the game the kickouts for 3’s were excellent. And they are letting Carlton, at least, do a little work inside.

I’m still not a fan of the 3 point line weave. Still need to work inside out a bit more, and particularly against zone move the D side to side. We still drive into traffic at times. More work on screening away from the ball in addition to PnR, and hit that roll guy occasionally. But it’s early January and if this can progress steadily by February we’ll have something.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Xs and Os have looked great the past few games. Some nice play designs, lots of movement without the ball, less dribbling, etc. Problem is that we foul too much, we turn the ball over largely on sloppy/lazy passes and we don’t have the proper personnel.

Reaction Score
I don't think Hurley has implemented much that's new; the players are finally starting to execute it. Like, for one of the first times all year, Gilbert came around a pick, cut to the basketball, and caught the pass moving towards the hoop with his man behind him.

This stuff, when it's done right, looks easy, but it takes a load of practice to get guys to run it fluidly.

Reaction Score
That’s just not true. Look at Ohio state, look at Louisville, look at Florida, look at LSU.

I've been impressed with the job Coach Mack is doing at Louisville. I really wanted to see their program sink. Maybe because misery loves company. Probably more because of Pitino and a bit of jealousy after they got the ACC invite, but they seem to be in good hands early into Mack's tenure. Perhaps bad karma will still catch up to them someday soon though....

Reaction Score
I've been impressed with the job Coach Mack is doing at Louisville. I really wanted to see their program sink. Maybe because misery loves company. Probably more because of Pitino and a bit of jealousy after they got the ACC invite, but they seem to be in good hands early into Mack's tenure. Perhaps bad karma will still catch up to them someday soon though....

After all the stuff that's gone on there the last few years it's unbelievable that Mack's been able to recruit the quality of class he has coming in. Not sure what you tell kids to get them to sign when there's been all the negative press on the Adidas money.
If there's anything to the "buying players" issue they SHOULD get the death penalty according to some articles I've read about how serious it's SUPPOSED to be if you have a new major violation while under the serious type of probation they're still under. I'm with you though on the desire to see some major hammer come down on them.

Reaction Score
This year’s team takes last year’s team to the woodshed. It’s an improved club, but still in need of serious work. If they can play with grit like at Cincy and clean up the killer turnovers they’ve made real progress.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom