Hurley's Ego | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley's Ego

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The only thing he's said this week that made me wince was his insistence that UConn would be in roughly the same place had we not moved to the BE.

Said it in another thread already, but I'm pretty confident that we don't get Tristen or Cam if we were still in the AAC. It's basically a one-bid league. I'd guess Castle to Auburn or OSU instead of Storrs. And because football, we weren't moving up to the B12 with Houston.

It's pure speculation on my part that we wouldn't be where we are today, but at the time DH said UConn was already on a trajectory like Houston back before rejoining the BE, we still didn't have an offense. And there wouldn't have been a Storrs South (does anyone really think Dickie's Arena in Fort Worth would've been 60% Huskies fans?)

Reaction Score
Such a thoughtless post. He just won back to back championships. How obtuse are you?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
As great a coach as Hurley has been, his large ego is a concern now that he has become very famous in the world of Hoops. Does anyone see this as a potential issue? Will he be able to stay focused on the team...?
He has a large ego but that should not be a problem. They are battery powered and run very quiet. And talk about adaptability. Dan Hurley's ego is multi-functional.

Reaction Score
It’s also not ego, it’s him being proud of his team and being vocal about the credit they deserve. Some might call it a leader. I understand how a Kentucky fan would be confused though.

Reaction Score
Are we talking about the same guy who humbly listens to Calhoun and Geno, and calls himself a student of game after back to back titles?
Are we talking about the same guy who consistently invites all the alumnae to the program and practices?
Are we talking about the same guy who posts the GOT walk of shame after an embarrassing loss against Creighton?
Are we talking about the same guy who said prophetically "you better get us now, because it's coming" and then backed it up with 2 years of most dominant run in College BB?
I could go on, but you should get the picture.

Are you really a fan who've been following the program when he first took the helm?

Reaction Score
Dan's ego gives his team confidence. How many teams just got broken by a mini Uconn run? Several.

Dan calling his team bulletproof and then walking back the comments? Not the best thing to say, but he's earned the right to say whatever he wants. And he isn't wrong about being bulletproof.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
As great a coach as Hurley has been, his large ego is a concern now that he has become very famous in the world of Hoops. Does anyone see this as a potential issue? Will he be able to stay focused on the team...?
It’s been quietly destroying the program over the past two years. He’s just been covering it up by winning championships.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20240411_164013_Chrome.jpg

Looks like he has every reason to be confident. He inherited a total shitshow and has made the team better EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Reaction Score
It’s been quietly destroying the program over the past two years. He’s just been covering it up by winning championships.
The best college basketball program in America is being “destroyed”

Reaction Score
Definitely a concern! They may take away the two championships.

Reaction Score
I realized Uconn fans are rabid right now after an amazing repeat, but I am a UCONN BB season ticket holder, have been a fan for decades, and have attended 3 of Uconn's final four matchess. This video from our Duke antaganist may have influenced me:
But when Hurley starts saying we have the prefect recipe, etc. , I worry aboy this ego. Hopefully he stays focus...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The other four posts demonstrate you are a UConn fan and your assessment of the teams the past two years based on the scrimmages you attended were quite accurate.

Hurley does not have a large ego, at least by the definition of ego. He is genuine with his complements of his coaching staff and players. Someone with a large ego rarely shares success with others. Now if you want to say he behaves like a donkey at times no one including Dan will argue with you. He loses his control of what some would describe as social filters. However he also sometimes behaves in a less polite manner with a purpose. Putting a spotlight on himself takes away the distraction his players might get. Putting a spotlight on himself increases the focus the UConn program/BE will get in the national media. Putting a focus on himself will attract a certain type of recruit - the recruit who has not only a bb passion but a passion to win. It give us the best chance to continue with success.

It makes him a target with his detractors and endears him to his supporters. He is never going to be beige.

Matt Painter is beige. Loved his post game interviews. He's a nice guy at least in appearance. But forgettable. No will forget Dan. No one will forget UConn. If he continues to have success the UConn brand will get larger.

Reaction Score
You have to have and display confidence (maybe to the point of cockiness) to have the succes that Hurley has. And yeah, it can be a fine line between confidence and hubris, and always lurking nearby are the less desirable cousins arrogance, and vainglory.

So after the success that Hurley recently had, there‘s probably not a person walking the earth that wouldn’t be susceptable to occasionaly crossing or maybe blowing right by that line. But by all appearances, he‘s got a fine support system of family and trusted assistant coaches to remind him, if necessary, he’s the same guy that was driving the mini cheese bus to prep school games a few years ago.

Basesd on his recent interview, he remembers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
let's hope so

Reaction Score
I realized Uconn fans are rabid right now after an amazing repeat, but I am a UCONN BB season ticket holder, have been a fan for decades, and have attended 3 of Uconn's final four matchess. This video from our Duke antaganist may have influenced me:
But when Hurley starts saying we have the prefect recipe, etc. , I worry aboy this ego. Hopefully he stays focus...

Ok, fan to fan, have a listen to Andrea's interview. Dan is living and breathing basketball and quite literally basketball is his life other than his family. She at times concerned it's not healthy for him.

There, you can stop worrying about it now. But please fact check about posting.

Reaction Score
Uconn Huskies Wow GIF by NCAA March Madness

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Bilas addressed that interview by saying Laettner has a reputation for pushing things too far. But even if you prefer to take that encounter without the filtered of Laettner's reputation, it demonstrates a sensitive, non confident Hruley when he was younger. Hurley has publicly stated he's had to deal with the fame of his father and brother and struggled with it. The back to back championships might have finally removed this feeling. Andrea in interviews last year discussed this in detail.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Hurley will continue to be 100% to his team without getting caught up in the hoopla. He knows what's at stake every year and a coach with his fire and intensity would never rest on his laurels. Maybe he seems a little over confident a few days after winning back to back ships but who wouldn't be? The guy is on top of the world now but in a few days when it's time to recruit and work the portal he will be the same old Danny Hurley but with more determination and not arrogance.

Reaction Score
You know how they have burner phones?

I'm thinking this is like a "burner" BY account that someone uses when they get bored and want to stir the....you know...for kicks and giggles.

Mission accomplished it seems if I'm correct.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom