Hurley's biggest challenge next season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley's biggest challenge next season

Reaction Score
You don't need superstars to execute this offense. Traditional offenses, and even a lot of the "analytics" offenses require much higher levels of athleticism than this one does. It does require high BBIQ, but teams are getting older and finding 22 year olds that are willing to sacrifice their own stats for wins is a lot easier than it was to find 18 and 19 year old 4 and 5 stars willing to do the same. A smart, veteran team with some skills could do real damage with an offense like this one.
This. This right here is why Uconn despite not being loaded with burger boys has run through the rest of the country for the last two years. Hurley has figured out the dish and the perfected the ingredients and the rest of the country is getting served. What hes doing is ahead of everyone else and you add his already great defense and the dominance we are seeing is what you get. If teams dont learn how to run this stuff or how to stop it seeing Hurley and his teams at the Final 4 may become a regular thing. He knows exactly the type of kids he needs to run this so i fully expect it to continue year after year successfully.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that Luke has been the architect of the offense. Good news is that Hurley is also basketball genius and he won't just abandon the offense once Luke leaves.

Also a big benefit of playing this late into the season twice in a row is that Luke and Kimani aren't available for interviews so hopefully most positions get filled. Every season we have with those two is a blessing. Truly the best coaching staff in the country (shoutout Tom Moore too)
We rarely talk about Luke. Is this his offense? The kid is very low key and not interviewed much which is probably his choice. It’s critical to keep him here, bump his salary, do what is needed. This is as important as NIL money to players.

Reaction Score
We rarely talk about Luke. Is this his offense? The kid is very low key and not interviewed much which is probably his choice. It’s critical to keep him here, bump his salary, do what is needed. This is as important as NIL money to players.
Yup it's Luke's offense. As for the interview stuff, that's pretty normal for all assistant coaches. Their job duties are scouting and game planning, not handling media obligations - that falls on the shoulders of the head coach.

If he sticks with us for another season, he'll be getting a big raise. The entire staff likely will be getting another raise too

Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but I'll go with, "staying as interested". Love my Huskies and will watch every game next season, but based on who we have coming back plus Nowell & Abraham, I don't see a team that will challenge for an NC.
I don't know how that assessment can be made at this time. I mean, you may be right, but look at the impact Cam had on this team this year. Too early.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but I'll go with, "staying as interested". Love my Huskies and will watch every game next season, but based on who we have coming back plus Nowell & Abraham, I don't see a team that will challenge for an NC.
Everyone said the same thing before this season about this team. We were picked to finish fourth in the Big East. Hurley keeps harping on that at nearly every press conference .
At this point, you have to trust and believe DH and his staff know exactly what they need and want.

Reaction Score
I'm going to go our on a limb here a say that Hurley's biggest challenge for next season will be replacing four starters likely to be taken in the upcoming NBA draft and a perfect fit in Spencer. I don't know how you reload that much talent and experience.....

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Everyone said the same thing before this season about this team. We were picked to finish fourth in the Big East. Hurley keeps harping on that at nearly every press conference .
At this point, you have to trust and believe DH and his staff know exactly what they need and want.
"Everyone" didn't include me. I did wonder if Clingan would be as effective if he doubled his minutes, but I was never concerned about getting this far given the other experience coming back.

Maybe DH can get someone we're not thinking of to continue the "two headed center beast" for next season, but without that, I see a tourney team, but not one going to the third weekend.

Reaction Score
I think the challenge will be - we have a lot of quality players sitting on the bench. We obviously need to hit the portal hard. When we do this, retaining those who feel like they’ve “paid their dues” and don‘t want to share PT or compete for their position will be a challenge.

Also from a scoring perspective, we will lose most of scorers and even making the tourney next year is not guaranteed. Seeing the Big East was hosed with 3 invites, may be tough to make it with a 20-22 win season - that isn’t right btw - but sad reality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom